West Yorkshire Police VIRUS

Flucky

lo chaps,

I've never had a virus in my life as I'm pretty careful with everything I do and thought I knew enough not to ever get one, not so apparently.

I turned my laptop on and saw a message saying a virus had been detected on my computer and it needs to be taken care of - but it was displayed by virus software I'd never seen before and certainly did not download myself. At this point I thought, bugger, I've got a virus. I tried uninstalling the program but it restart my system. When I logged back on I was greeted by the message in the picture below.

I ran the laptop back up in safe mode and ran a system restore which luckily seems to have worked (surely the virus created would have thought of people doing this?).

I'd just like to make sure I have every scrap of this thing removed, and was wondering if anyone could quickly look through the following web pages and make sure it looks legit. I don't want to mess about with the registry when I know nothing about it. About half way down is the step by step removal. After all, the virus creator could easily create a "How to remove" article and instead mess you up even more (paranoia at its best).

Much obliged.

-Removal site >> http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-west-yorkshire-police-ukash.html
-Removal site 2 >>http://blog.yoocare.com/your-comput...-locked-by-west-yorkshire-police-ukash-virus/

-Virus message virus message.jpg

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I wouldnt know how to go into the registry etc but update your AV and run a deep scan, then download malwarebytes and ms essentials and do the same

Gorman

Author Level
Im sure this virus can be removed safely using the steps in the links but that is not the route i would go. I would simply back up any important data, photos, videos etc you want to keep to a seperate drive if availiable and format the system drive followed with a clean install.

When you have a clean install and a trusted AV scan the backup drive and see if its clean.

I learned a long time ago that with some virus' its sometimes easier and quicker just to cut your losses and nuke the system drive.

eyoda

If I would be you I would try using the "unhack me" program. That starts before your OS so you can remove whatever you want, because at that stage those programs are not running yet.

Flucky

Cheers all.

Ran a full MSE scan overnight and it picked up a few things. Malwarebyte is refusing to run so I'll re-download that and have another full scan.
System seems to be OK now, if it creeps back I'll do a clean install like you said gorman.

Viruscleanup.png

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Those kinds are def the most annoying...as in ones that portray themselves as the good guys :)

Where are the real hackers that used to write a virus that would **** with your system and would tell you that is what it was doing?! (usually accompanied by a picture of boobies :D )

There are not many groups of people in this world that I think should be shot, but hackers and people that infect people's lives with trojans and the like are one of them (also Bieber/Bieber fans, for hopefully obvious reasons)

Flucky

There are not many groups of people in this world that I think should be shot, but hackers and people that infect people's lives with trojans and the like are one of them (also Bieber/Bieber fans, for hopefully obvious reasons)

What? You're not a belieber?

There's no shame in hiding it if you are ded, we're all friends here.

Grinder

Enthusiast
It's a scam to scare little old ladies to send money to get rid of it.

Just log in under a new name and run Microsoft virus scan to delete it.

mishra

Rising Star
I had this virus one of our customer PCs. What we did we rebooted into safe mode, installed MalwareBytes and removed the bloody thing.
Then booted into normal windows mode and scanned again = all clear. Hope this is the same variation and this will help you.

Hope this helps