What CPU to choose for gaming set-up?

aaaeron

Basically i need to choose between an AMD or Intel chip. Putting it with a AMD hd7770, i'm guessing should give me a decent level of performance on all current games?

I seem to be swinging more towards the i5-3570k as i don't plan on doing any extreme overclocking (because I don't have the knowledge and don't want to risk it :) )

But my big thing is, the AMD build works out a lot cheaper than the intel build and i don't really just have the money lying around (although i can save up for it). I know the motherboard options on PCS are different with intel/amd which does change the price a little, but still there is around £125 difference out of the two builds.

So ultimately my big question is... Is it worth stretching that extra bit of money for the i5 for future purposes, or should i be looking at a totally different chip compared to the two I have mentioned? And is it better to have a fx-4100 with a better gpu, or an i5 with a mid-range gpu that can be upgraded at a later date?

Thanks for the help, I know you guys reply super fast,
Aaeron

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
For gaming it would it would be better to have an fx-4100 with a better GPU than an i5 with a mid-range GPU.

Corfate

Author Level
Agree with vanthus :)

However, if you do go down the i5 route, get the non 'k' i5, as you're not overclocking :)

aaaeron

Thanks for the feedback guys, the main reason i was looking at the i5 is because it seemed to be the better option for future uprgrades.
Where people seem the think the fx-4100 holds them back on fps. The i5 seems to get a bit more praise.

And the non-k version of the i5 is only £15 cheaper so it seemed like a worthwhile choice to say i might one day learn how to overclock my cpu :)