What I'm planning on getting on getting

*edit* Sorry, I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread!
I do plan on overclocking so I decided to go with a higher PSU, better CPU cooling etc... Also, any constructive criticism would be very appreciative as I have spent a long time researching different components and seeing what features would suit me best so if there's anything that sticks out as 'worrying' I'd like to know! Thanks! :)
Case:
COOLERMASTER HAF-X FULL TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU):
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4820K (3.7GHz) 10MB Cache
Motherboard:
ASUS® P9X79 PRO: INTEL® SOCKET LG2011
Memory (RAM):
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card:
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk:
1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
2nd Hard Disk:
500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive:
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply:
CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ MODULAR TXM-850 V2-80 PLUS®
Processor Cooling:
Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste:
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card:
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking:
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD
Operating System:
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
Monitor:
IIYAMA E2773HS-GB1 27" LED WIDESCREEN, 2 HDMI/DVI-D 1920x1080
Keyboard:
Razer® Deathstalker Expert Gaming Keyboard
Mouse:
Razer® Taipan Expert Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse
Gaming Mouse Pad:
Razer Goliathus 2013 Small Speed Mouse Mat
Surge Protection:
MasterPlug SRG62 6 Socket 2m Surge Protector

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Looks good,if it's solely for gaming though an i5 processor would be adequate,also I would go for a Caviar Black as first hard disk.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
What are you planning to use it for? You could try to get a pre-overclocked system from PCS, not sure if 850w will bee nought to add a 2nd gtx 780 if you are planning to do so in the future.

I'd use it for normal procrastinating, gaming and hopefully be able to start video editing and creating music! Haven't been able to create decent videos with my current PC as it is a cheap one I bought over the web. Thanks vanthus, I'll change it now! I haven't really planned into the future keynes but I see what you mean about the 850w, but thinking of it, I might just stick with 850w and change it out if I do consider getting a second 780 in the future. Also, thanks for the pre-overclocked system tip, I didn't notice I could buy one like that on PCS! :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I'd use it for normal procrastinating, gaming and hopefully be able to start video editing and creating music! Haven't been able to create decent videos with my current PC as it is a cheap one I bought over the web. Thanks vanthus, I'll change it now! I haven't really planned into the future keynes but I see what you mean about the 850w, but thinking of it, I might just stick with 850w and change it out if I do consider getting a second 780 in the future. Also, thanks for the pre-overclocked system tip, I didn't notice I could buy one like that on PCS! :)
The review section has the vanquish enforcer for around £1500, you could then add peripherals and I think it should be cheaper than the spec you posted. An i7-4770k should perform similarly to the i7-4820k.

Stephen M

Author Level
Have you thought about making your second drive the 1TB HDD and going for an SSD as the main drive a 240GB SSD would not put the price up that much and would speed things up. If you are going to think about music creation have you considered dual-booting, distros such as DreamStudion, Ubuntu Studio or Musix come with Ardour and other music and video editing programs.

The review section has the vanquish enforcer for around £1500, you could then add peripherals and I think it should be cheaper than the spec you posted. An i7-4770k should perform similarly to the i7-4820k.
The problem I had with choosing between the 4770k and the 4820k is the fact that I also have to change motherboards, but there's not much difference in price so I'm fine with spending a tad bit more money for the 4820k! :)

Have you thought about making your second drive the 1TB HDD and going for an SSD as the main drive a 240GB SSD would not put the price up that much and would speed things up. If you are going to think about music creation have you considered dual-booting, distros such as DreamStudion, Ubuntu Studio or Musix come with Ardour and other music and video editing programs.
I think I'd stick with the HDD, it's something I'm comfortable with! :) And as for all the points for music creating, the dual-booting is something I wouldn't want to do, it just seems to much hassle but I am looking into software to get!