What 'settings' will my PC play Skyrim and BF3 (predictions)?

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I have:
Processor: AMD Phenom X4 970
Ram: 8gb
Graphics Card: Nvidia 560ti

I have managed to get Crysis on 'very high' for most settings apart from 1 without slowing down my PC which I'm hoping puts me in good stead. I'm pretty sure I wont be able to get BF3 on 'very high' but am hoping I may be able to play Skyrim on 'high-very high'.

Also will I see a huge visual difference between these games on my PC compared to the 360?

Definitely preordering Skyrim...*drool*

Serendipity

Enthusiast
Although I can't help you here, one of the reasons I'm getting a P.C right now is because of Skyrim.... did waiting ever get so frustrating?

PC.Robb

I'm not sure if you will be able to play on very high/ultra (might be able to) but you will definitely be able to play on medium/high.

If you max it out and have a good monitor and play at good resolution it will look better than a 360.

MeveM

Bright Spark
1920x1080 ^^ Else you've got a strange monitor!
I run 1920x1080 as well, and I think you should be able to get high if you take out the pointless AA.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
"Very Very Low" id have thought, lol :D only jokin, um not a clue tbh, high but not max probs

MeveM

Bright Spark
Well it's not pointless, but it's not worth the amount of FPS it drops, AA should only be added if you never really dip under the 60 fps area, like people with GTX 580's in SLI... Frenchy... But with your 3 screens surely you're fps will drop from that, if you then add AA it'll kill your fps.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Well it's not pointless, but it's not worth the amount of FPS it drops, AA should only be added if you never really dip under the 60 fps area, like people with GTX 580's in SLI... Frenchy... But with your 3 screens surely you're fps will drop from that, if you then add AA it'll kill your fps.

Only game it drops on is Crysis, if I run that on full AA over 3 screens it drops to anywhere between 15 and 23fps but everythign else i run on max, well except for metro, I turn that down a bit on AA cus everythings dark anyway so i dont really notice the difference and its a graphics hog that game evn though the graphics dont look that amazing imo

MeveM

Bright Spark
But surely you do agree that AA is a fps hogger, it's a luxury feature for people who run everything else on max and can still afford a adding extra. I'd pick shadows over AA any day.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
But surely you do agree that AA is a fps hogger, it's a luxury feature for people who run everything else on max and can still afford a adding extra. I'd pick shadows over AA any day.

Yeah I agree, but I dont agree with the comment "take out the pointless AA", yes its a hg but it deffinately isnt pointless.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
AA stands for anti aliasing. It fools the eye into thinking a jagged edge on an image is smooth. Basically, turns ruff edges into smooth bits in the game ;)

I wouldnt really say it fools the eye.

When you have a standard image it can eb quite pixelated along the edges, especially on shaddows. AA fills in the empty pixels with shades approximated by the surrounding pixels. This makes the image smoother around the edges. The higher the AA value the more edges it can scan at once, however, remember that AA uses a lot of extra power and this will cause the game to slow down, so often you have to compromise with AA. Also depending on the resolution you play at platying above a certain AA is pretty pointless imo as you really dont see that much of a diffeence.

Dayve

It'll run BF3 and it'll look great, but Skyrim is 100% a console game, the PC is nothing but an afterthought, so as with lots of shoddy console ports it may run terribly even at low settings on the most modern PC. It's anybody's guess until it is released.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
It'll run BF3 and it'll look great, but Skyrim is 100% a console game, the PC is nothing but an afterthought, so as with lots of shoddy console ports it may run terribly even at low settings on the most modern PC. It's anybody's guess until it is released.

I honestly doubt it, look at all the newest ports, especially things like crysis 2, they run extremely well on pc, considering they are console games.

Tbh I cant say Ive ever had an issue with a console port, wether on this pc or on my old one.

Also if you look at all their previous games, none of them have been let down by PC, I very much doubt that it will now. Just like with battlefield.

Infact msot games that are designed for console and PC will be designed for PC first, and graphics will be scaled down for console versions. 360 and PC code is essentially the same, obviously there are differences but this major similarity means there isnt actually much of a port apart from graphics. The PS3 is where the major effort goes for porting. Hence bad ports for cod etc

Corfate

Author Level

When you have a standard image it can eb quite pixelated along the edges, especially on shaddows. AA fills in the empty pixels with shades approximated by the surrounding pixels. This makes the image smoother around the edges. The higher the AA value the more edges it can scan at once, however, remember that AA uses a lot of extra power and this will cause the game to slow down, so often you have to compromise with AA. Also depending on the resolution you play at platying above a certain AA is pretty pointless imo as you really dont see that much of a diffeence.

Wikipedia lied to me :(

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Wikipedia lied to me :(

Tbh, a lot of people say AA fools the eye, but to me its nothing to do with fooling the eyes, its about creating a smoother picture that the eye can see.

Fooling the eyes would be somehow making the eyes see a non pixelated image while still actually being pixelated. AA doesnt do this though, it actually fills in the pixels to approximate averages between surrounding pixels to make them blend, rather than being a steep change in colour.

Here is a somewhat simple example.

imgFGP10100-0CO-1.jpg

tugainuk

ty frenchy and corfate i learn something new every day :)