What should I upgrade to?

InternetKillTV

At the end of the year I am looking to make my next PC upgrade and am looking for some assistance on what to get. What will benefit me the most?

Here are the specs of my PC which I bought in December 2011:

Case COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE
Processor (CPU) AMD PHENOM II X4 QUAD CORE 960T (3.00GHz/6MB CACHE/AM3)
Motherboard ASUS® M5A78L-M/USB3: M-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0Gb/s
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB SEAGATE Barracuda SATA-III 6Gb/s HDD, 32MB Cache (7200rpm)
Power Supply 600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£59)
Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE AMD CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Since then I have upgraded my ram to 16GB.

This machine was intended to be a gaming PC and up until very recently it played every game on the market at max settings with a decent framerate. The first game it couldn't handle was the recent release of Sleeping Dogs :)

At the moment the main game I play is Guild Wars 2 and plan to be doing for a long time. The PC handles this game pretty well on ultra however is subject to some framerate drops here and there.

Now what I want to know is what part of my PC would be more beneficial to ugprade next: Processor or GFX card? Keep in mind I have a budget of no more than £400. I want to continue to play games at high/ultra with a decent framerate so which part is holding me back the most?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I would upgrade the graphics card to a GTX 660 Ti or a GTX 670,you have a 600W PSU so it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

baron75mk2

Banned
Upgrade to a GTX 670 as vanthus has suggested , dont worry about sleeping dogs m8 , i have two GTX680s in sli & it still performs badly in terms of FPS half of the time - its just a poorly coded/made game & runs like a 3 legged dog most of the time :yes:

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
A HD 7950 would be a better option since it's significantly cheaper than the GTX 670 and out performs it in Sleeping Dogs.

73e1cfde_sd20192020fxaa.png