What's a mechanical keyboard when its at home?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Evening all, what's could anyone answer that question for me? I have no idea what the difference is apart from the price.

thanks tom

Pete

Bright Spark
i had some steampunk keyboard in mind; metal with resistors, capacitors, copper piping and a nice "clack" sound when you type.... sadly no. it's just a normal keyboard that if it does makes a clacky sound, you're typing incorrectly.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
thanks for the answer Pete, Still wonder if its worth spending so much on a keyboard like this.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
i had some steampunk keyboard in mind; metal with resistors, capacitors, copper piping and a nice "clack" sound when you type.... sadly no. it's just a normal keyboard that if it does makes a clacky sound, you're typing incorrectly.

Um I must be misunderstanding you, mechanical keyboards are loud, even when you type correctly. Especially on something liek the razer blackwidow which uses the Cherry MX Blue keys. The keys are noisy but require much elss force to activate them, cherry mx keys require 50g to activate them, as a result I tend to type a lot faster.

Pete

Bright Spark
only you can know that, will you be using it for gaming ? personally i'm not sure that it would make that much difference over a normal keyboard... but then i do have a razer gaming mouse which is just so much nicer to use than you bog standard dell mouse, even for every day clicking. might be worth check if somewhere like pc world do them and you could try it out first. (somehow i doubt it but you never know)

FYI : have a drool over this - Razer Black Widow

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
FYI : have a drool over this - Razer Black Widow

I can say this keyboard is very nice, i love it for gaming, id say deffinately worth having a keyboard that can disable the windows key, also its really nice to have on the fly macro creation, I use it quite a lot in games and out of games. You can also readjust the macros you created using the desktop application and set specific timings between keys and even between the down and up stroke of a key.

Petchi b

I thought about getting a mechanical keyboard before I purchased my MS X4. The main difference is they use mechanical keyswitches underneath the keys instead of the usual rubber domes. This apparently makes typing easier as you dont need to push the key all the way down for it to register.

To be honest I didn't think this was really necessary for gaming and if you want to get a mechanical keyboard with backlighting you are looking at towards the £100 mark. For me, that is a lot for a keyboard, if I was a professional typist, maybe it would be worth it, for gaming I didn't really think so. Plus the noise issue put me off.

Last edited:

Pete

Bright Spark
[video=youtube;a51vNxcLujw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a51vNxcLujw[/video]

not sure i like the buttons under the spacebar but that's just me, you don't have to program them i guess.

Serendipity

Enthusiast
The keys under the space pad will annoy me for that Razor keyboard. I got the LOGITECH® G110 GAMING KEYBOARD WITH BACKLIGHTING (£58). Before I got it I searched it up on youtube to see reviews, unboxing etc (fantastic if you are keen on any hardware). and looks brilliant so I went with that...

tom_gr7

Life Serving
The keys under the space pad will annoy me for that Razor keyboard. I got the LOGITECH® G110 GAMING KEYBOARD WITH BACKLIGHTING (£58). Before I got it I searched it up on youtube to see reviews, unboxing etc (fantastic if you are keen on any hardware). and looks brilliant so I went with that...

thanks dude, what score would ya give it out of 5?

plus rep

Serendipity

Enthusiast
Personally 5/5

It doesn't have a screen on the top like a lot of modern ones do, personally that will annoy me more than anything but they did that on purpose for people who prefer not. It has everything you need for gaming, lights, special function keys/shortcut keys. It does have a wrist rest but it's more annoying than anything, good thing is that you can detach it easily. Otherwise if you want a good simple professional keyboard, I wouldn't get anything else tbh.

It did so well it sold out on the first day it was out, I haven't seen any bad reviews in all honesty so you should have a look into it mate.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Personally 5/5

It doesn't have a screen on the top like a lot of modern ones do, personally that will annoy me more than anything but they did that on purpose for people who prefer not. It has everything you need for gaming, lights, special function keys/shortcut keys. It does have a wrist rest but it's more annoying than anything, good thing is that you can detach it easily. Otherwise if you want a good simple professional keyboard, I wouldn't get anything else tbh.

It did so well it sold out on the first day it was out, I haven't seen any bad reviews in all honesty so you should have a look into it mate.

thanks dude, will do!

Teaz

Godlike
I have the blackwidow ultimate. At first i thought it was pretty worth it for my use but now im debating to sell it or not due to two things i sort of dislike about it. 1st one is due to the Gloss finish on the keyboard. i dont like the full rim gloss, it leaves finger prints one way or the other. it looks nice but it is a subject to prints. 2nd is the keyboard itself. its really good and the feel is certainly good for each key pressed but they get a tad loud at times so it would be alot nicer if it wasnt this loud.

Reason why im debating to sell it is because, Razer had to be a mug an Released a Newer version of the Blackwidow ultimate which has be redesigned with a full matte keyboard so its no longer glossy. the 2nd is, the mechanical keys are about near silent or just silent. And I want it lol. Problem is, razer are being douchbags seller it for a little higher than the normal blackwidow ultimate.

You can see it on the Razer Website, its Called Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth.

Last edited:

Teaz

Godlike
about 120 so 10-20 than the normal one. Apparently so, as i cant find it any where else so it seems it is exclusive to only the Razer store itself as razer says. 120 is a hefty price for a keyboard lol