Whats the average life span of a desktop/laptop?

grimsbymatt

Enthusiast
Yeah, after it died I rang Trading Standards who advised me that it was reasonable to expect a laptop to last longer than 20 months. I took it to a PC repair shop who said it was going to be expensive to repair and provided me with a letter stating the cost of this, sent it to Argos with a letter requesting a refund or replacement and 2 weeks later received a voucher for the full original cost of the laptop :)

So store credit rather than a cash refund?

Androcles

Rising Star
As said it depends on many variables, it's very difficult to say.

If you are asking how long it will keep working then the answer is "how long is a piece of sting", it all depends on how much it's used, how often it's maintained, how often it's cleaned, how it's treated and even the location it's kept in.

if you mean how long before it's outdated that also has many variables depending on what you use it for, if you just use it as a workstation or to browse the net then it will break down before it's outdated, if you use it for high end gaming then it may be 3 to 5 years before you need to think about upgrades, if you use it for gaming but only use the same games all the time then you'll never need to update it unless it breaks down.

And so on.

Oliver

Silver Level Poster
I have had computers in the past that have lasted 4-5 years. Always taking good care of them ensuring no dust is in the room, cleaning out the filters and inspecting any faulty parts in advanced is a good way of ensuring your computer has a longer lifespan.

Karnor00

Bright Spark
I used to replace my PCs every 3 years or so because even when I got a high spec PC originally, after 3 years it would be struggling to even run modern games.

Things seem to have slowed down somewhat however - my current PC is 2.5 years old and there are no signs that I will need to replace it anytime soon (i7 CPU and 2x7970 GPUs are still pretty high end).

My previous PC is now 6 years old and living a happy and productive retirement with a friend. The one before that is nearly 9 years old also having a reasonably productive retirement with a different friend, but is mainly limited to emails and web browsing.

PC's older than that are now pushing up the daisies, alongside my Commodore 64, Vic 20. Oddly my old Xbox is now living an alternative life as some kind of music playing machine. I've lost touch with my Sega Megadrive, but last I heard it was doing well.

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
I used to replace my PCs every 3 years or so because even when I got a high spec PC originally, after 3 years it would be struggling to even run modern games.

Things seem to have slowed down somewhat however - my current PC is 2.5 years old and there are no signs that I will need to replace it anytime soon (i7 CPU and 2x7970 GPUs are still pretty high end).

My previous PC is now 6 years old and living a happy and productive retirement with a friend. The one before that is nearly 9 years old also having a reasonably productive retirement with a different friend, but is mainly limited to emails and web browsing.

PC's older than that are now pushing up the daisies, alongside my Commodore 64, Vic 20. Oddly my old Xbox is now living an alternative life as some kind of music playing machine. I've lost touch with my Sega Megadrive, but last I heard it was doing well.

My Commodore 64 and Amiga 1000 are still living out reasonably productive lives, the Amiga especially, the C64 is dragged out occasionally for retro gaming nights :) Both still in perfect working order.