Whats the average life span of a desktop/laptop?

Metalhead4ever

Bronze Level Poster
Whats the longest you guys had you're laptops or desktops (or both). I heard the lifespan is about 5 years. regards

Last edited:

steaky360

Depends on what you're gauging the lifespan by? If you mean until failure, they can go on long after 5 years with a little TLC.

If you mean (for example) a gaming rig being able to play all games at mega high spec, then less so, potentially much less than 5 years. If you were willing to accept a steady decline then its life would subsequently be extended :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
My desktops have always had about a 3 year life span. However this one is 3 and a bit already. Probably more credit to PCS and the forums for building a better PC than I have had before. I am still going to change it soon I think, but I could see her lasting 4 years, which is nice :)

Laptops (imo) last a lot less time, because they would often get more wear and tear. Also a lot less potential for upgrades to extend the lifespan :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I've had a Dell Dimension 3100 (desktop) for about 9 years now and it's still going strong.
Only thing that I've had to replace is the optical drive.
My PCS desktop is almost 4 years old now,also still going strong :)

Last edited:

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I've got a vortext laptop, been on about 24/7 for two and a half years now, with a great cleaning regime and all always making sure she's well ventilated not had any problems.

T

TheGeeza

My machine has lasted almost 3 years now and is still going strong although I have made some upgrades. I'm sure it would still be fine even if I hadn't upgraded it though as most of the components as they were from PCS.

grimsbymatt

Enthusiast
I built my current desktop myself around 3 years ago. I don't see any need to upgrade or replace it any time soon. It has an i7-2600K CPU and 16GB RAM. Processors haven't increased in power much since then, although power consumption and on-chip graphics have come a long way. I don't game and use it for programming and music production, so it'll last me a while yet.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
My laptop is 18 months old and even that was bought nearing the end of the Vortex III/680m life cycle... And it's still ultra and high on every game I throw at it and making mincemeat out of my video editing. As long as it lasts another couple of years until I get a place with a room for a desktop I'll be happy.

Tight Git

Bronze Level Poster
I bought my original desktop from Mesh in 2001 and it was still going strong 12 years later when I replaced it with my PCS one.

A bit like a car, they do benefit from regular maintenance, mainly a good blow out to remove dust.

I must admit I did gradually update it over the years (CPU, Mobo, RAM, HDD, Graphics card, PSU).

So I suppose it ended up like Trigger's broom!

Metalhead4ever

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks guys for the input, really is a great site. Had a lot help in past years.

Don't know if i'm expecting to much but i hope to have mine for at least the next 9 or so years :/

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Well mines be going since June 2011, with gpu upgrades along the way and so far i've no reason to even consider replacing it.

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
I have had 2 Mesh desktops which lasted me around 5-6 years before upgrading. My brother took them off my hands and as far as I know both are still in working order.

Samsung desktop purchased in 2010 died after 20 months and I got my money back from Argos under the Sale of Goods Act, bought my current Toshiba laptop in 2012 which is going strong.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Samsung desktop purchased in 2010 died after 20 months and I got my money back from Argos under the Sale of Goods Act
That's great , I never though you could use the sales of good act after a year.

ariadne2

Silver Level Poster
That's great , I never though you could use the sales of good act after a year.

Yeah, after it died I rang Trading Standards who advised me that it was reasonable to expect a laptop to last longer than 20 months. I took it to a PC repair shop who said it was going to be expensive to repair and provided me with a letter stating the cost of this, sent it to Argos with a letter requesting a refund or replacement and 2 weeks later received a voucher for the full original cost of the laptop :)