What's the best anti virus/firewall software?

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Having recently caught up with one of my favourite tv shows of all time How I Met Your Mother (watch it, tis good) the gentlemens way :tooth:

I'd thought it'll be about time i actually get some proper anti virus software
At the moment i'm using Avast free antivirus, and zone alarm free firewall...

But dont know which complete package to go for? Avast or Zone Alarm... Or shall i go with someone completely different, or just stick with what i have?

Last edited:

Nemesis

MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is pretty sound and also quite light weight with real time protection included. Thats what im using after previously being with AVG for along time EDIT : both of these are free**

Are you planning on buying because if so ive heard lots of good things about ESET

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Agree with nemesis,I had eset on my last pc & it's excellent,but now I use MSE,It does the job.

Ansab001

Bronze Level Poster
as the other two have said. MSE with windows firewall and a healthy dose of watching out for bad emails and bad sites You should be fine. Torrent sites can be tricky If you are a tv watcher a site I use which I have never been effected from is EZ TV. For movies etc i would be careful specaily for movies that are in the cinema. But bt junkie is what I use. Remember if someone realy wants to hack your computer, and if your not carful not even the best anti virus software will protect you.

But I recommend to go with MSE and the windows firewall + keeping an eye out on dodgey emails and websites.

Tez77

Enthusiast
Avast free antivirus i run this and windows firewall both great only thing with avast is the annoying women says your anti virus has been update then i jump out of my skin,Comodo firewall is ment to be good but i never had a prob really with virus depends on where u getting your tv files from and dont forget some virus scans pick a lot up as False Positives

Anthony.Ralph

Bronze Level Poster
Avast free antivirus i run this and windows firewall both great only thing with avast is the annoying women says your anti virus has been update then i jump out of my skin,Comodo firewall is ment to be good but i never had a prob really with virus depends on where u getting your tv files from and dont forget some virus scans pick a lot up as False Positives

You can turn the lady off you know...! When I was running Avast, I had her turned on, but my wife didn't as she dislikes interruptions just like you.

Anthony.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
I'd either use microsoft security essentials if you don't want to spend any money or the paid version of AVG if you want to get something better.

PokerFace

Banned

I used Avast with Comodo but found Comodo a bit of a pain. You are right about the Avast "update woman", I used to jump out of my skin also, lol. So glad when I found her 'off' switch.

I switched to MSE and it seems fine so far. I have to keep the icon up on the task bar though, as it's so 'quiet' that I keep wondering if it's still on! Having said that, I haven't been on any dodgy sites, so haven't really put it to the test. It seems like quite a few of the knowledgeable people on this site (I'm not one of them) use MSE and I don't recall hearing any bad reports so far.

colour

dont know which complete package to go for? Avast or Zone Alarm... Or shall i go with someone completely different, or just stick with what i have?

Acronis Internet Security Suite, here. Comes bundled with Acronis TrueImage, at a discount. Annual subscription. Includes Firewall, AV & AS.

Also:

SUPERAntiSpyware Professional. Small lifetime subscription.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The Free Version

Paretologic Anti-Spyware. Annual subscription. Catches what others miss. Good product but dodgy advertising methods.

Avoid Norton - Too system-hungry & McAfee, which Deleted a Windows System File last year & cost them a lot of money in Damages claims, World-wide.

One Firewall & One AV Prog will do. But you need more than one AS Program, since there's no guarantee that one will catch them all.

Windows Update Monthly Malicious Software Removal Tool & Windows Live Onecare Scanner ( I run that Monthly) are Free.

I've seen very many cases where even experienced PC Users PC's have been infected. Mostly by Adware; Programs that you agree to accepting in the End Users Licence Agreement smallprint, for all of those tempting Free Programs. The Adware Programs record your Browsing habits, which are passed to 3rd parties for Spam e-mail. They can also significantly slow-down your PC.

Spyware are Malicious Programs that you don't agree to accepting. EG; Trojans.