What's the longest distance you've ever ran?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Ran/Run? I had to Google the correct tense haha.

Anyway - just asking because I did the Great North Run yesterday. I remember thinking at the end "Thank god this isn't a full marathon!"

Has anyone ever done a full marathon? What's it like? I imagine it feels like dying.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Congrats on the GNR matey :)

I did cross country at school, so that was probably the last time I ran any sort of distance, probably in the "a number of miles" camp.

The nearest I got to a marathon was going to watch a couple of friends do the Edinburgh marathon a few years ago. To be fair, I did walk a good 10 miles I think from the start to the finish...not quite running, but it was hot :D

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Congrats on the GNR matey :)

I did cross country at school, so that was probably the last time I ran any sort of distance, probably in the "a number of miles" camp.

The nearest I got to a marathon was going to watch a couple of friends do the Edinburgh marathon a few years ago. To be fair, I did walk a good 10 miles I think from the start to the finish...not quite running, but it was hot :D

Thanks! I just managed under 2hrs with 1hr 57. I've signed up for a few more, they're quite addictive! It was watching them that made me get into it in the first place...

Was that a while back or quite recently?

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
10k? July, just bought a treadmill :) so I am trying to get back into running

Ah nice! I did a lot of my training on the treadmill - I actually find it harder than the outdoors because there is no breeze to cool you down and you sweat more. That said, running outside is a lot heavier on the joints and muscles!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Ah nice! I did a lot of my training on the treadmill - I actually find it harder than the outdoors because there is no breeze to cool you down and you sweat more. That said, running outside is a lot heavier on the joints and muscles!

Treadmill is the only way I can continue running, got a long commute and mornings are not possible, evenings too dark. So far the treadmill have been great, I can run even when raining indoors

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I did 11k in 1 hour, 500m track as many laps in an hour as you can. Sponsors donate per lap. That's probably the furthest I have ever run.

Even when I did run, I never liked the idea of a marathon much... An hours worth of running I could do, maybe a half marathon but a full marathon. Ehm no thanks.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
In my army days i used to go on two to three runs per week. Somtimes in trainers but often in boots and with extra weight. Distances ranged from 4 to 10 miles. This was on an old concrete airfield. I never found the running difficult in terms of my physical fitness, but limited by pain in my left ankle. Over time this was far too much running, but i didnt have a choice and i had to push through it. Now I cant run more than 200 hundred meters without getting severe pain in my left ankle.

Running is great for your fitness but it can damage joints, ligaments n tendons over time,

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I even bought proper running trainers that were fitted professionally a couple of years ago.

Still haven't actually gone for a run...

PokerFace

Banned
This one time I walked to the kebab shop.. Does that count?

I believe it does count Woz.

On a similar vein, I did used to walk (really fast) / run home from the chippy, so that my pie & chips wouldn't go cold. However, that was pre :nuke:microwave:nuke: oven days. Now I just walk home.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well on a serious note, I used to bike to anywhere more than just round the corner and then I learnt to drive...

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
10 feet, maybe 15?
But on a serious note, running seriously hurts my knees and shins. Always has. Don't know why... I don't get nearly as much exercise as I should, but that's modern life. I don't ever need to exercise, it's something I have to make myself do in whatever little time I get spare. And I'd rather spend that little time watching my favourite TV series or gaming. My job is quite physical, just not cardio, as it's a lot of lifting.
As above, I used to bike most places, until I turned 17, Mum and Dad bought me a car, and I passed my test 7 weeks later.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Especially without the right footwear, running in generic boots has got to be trouble.

Yep, always best to spend a good amount of money on trainers, n to make sure thy support your type of feet and running style.

I do very little exercise now, theres no fun left in it for me. I do try and eat healthy homemade foods as nuch as i can.

bigben

Master Poster
A friend of mine did the Bristol 10k and when I was mocking his time he challenged me to beat it. So 10k is the furthest I have recorded.
I reckon when I was playing rugby I probably ran that comfortably every game though.

For anybody who can't run because of joints etc (I get really bad shin splints) you can't beat a good bike ride. Especially if you have other people to go out with. Failing that you could try the x trainer at the gym.

Ok, ok, you've convinced me to stay put on the sofa :sleep1:

You Sir are an inspiration! :yes:

Lol

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Especially without the right footwear, running in generic boots has got to be trouble.

I bought some Adidas Adistar boots last week - they were £120 but as I get special discount where I work I got them for £60. They were stupidly comfy. Everyone was telling me not to wear them for the run as I'd only ran in them once before - but I'm so glad I did. Comfiest shoes I've ever owned. Feet didn't hurt one bit afterwards. All the other muscles did. But my feet were fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.