What's your funniest support/computer story

Pete

Bright Spark
I don't do as much IT support in work anymore but working for a coastal national park we do get our fair share of funny support calls : "Hello ranger Bob, what's that; you've dropped your laptop in a rockpool...again, bring it in".

probably my best was a lady who rang the office, the computer a slim line Dell would randomly just go off and back on. eventually i gave up and went down for a look, everything seemed fine until off it went again; checking the power i discovered her dog was sleeping on the power brick and as it would move now again (presumably to warm a different bit) it would just nudge the cable enough to turn it off) - support ticket = "fixed by removing dog from power brick"

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Dont know if this quite fits the bill for your thread,but it is a computer story & the jokes on me.About 14 years ago the wife,who's a company director brought me my first pc from her office,it was windows 95,with 16mb of ram if i remember correctly.Anyway i eventually got it all connected & then booted up in great anticipation,I then(this is the sad part)lifted the mouse & started waving it about in front of the screen,i shouted to her"this thing isn't working"she came through & much to my bemusement went into a fit of laughter.Boy,my mates have never let me forget that one,especially when i claim to know something about computers.

Ansab001

Bronze Level Poster
Best one i had was when i worked as a teen for a small PC company in scotland. The comapny did repairs and a online software isse solutions. Anyway one day after helping this poor old lady i asked her for her card details. She didn't say anything for a min and then said "well ok.. well she is 8 months old, white paws. likes chicken, loves hugs and chases the lights in our house and her name is buttons.(This went on for 5 mins) I didnt catch on untill the end of her description when she said "Is that enough details for you hun are you guys starting some kind of cat treatment centre -__-. She thought I said cat details...I felt silly if I corrected her since i didn't catch on. So i just said *thanks yes we were planning to expand, ok so can we get your payment details nows mrs ****"
Later on my supervisor told me he was listening to the call for valuation and increased my mark for throwing new ideas for the company to expand.

PokerFace

Banned
A guy I worked with started panicking and shouting to the supervisor that his computer had a virus, as everything he typed was getting deleted. Turned out that the pasty he'd bought for lunch was resting on the 'backspace' key :eek:

Randomthom

Silver Level Poster
For my sins I was formerly an employee of the evil that is PC World, it was a crap job but we had some laughs!

Here's 2 of the best;
Woman comes to the service desk and says her mouse doesn't work very well & she'd like a replacement. My colleague asks her what is wrong with it, she replies that it's awkward to use. She then proceeds to show him by placing it on the counter and trying to use it with the front of the mouse facing towards her, clicking the buttons with the palm of her hand.

Man comes in f*ing & blinding that he wants a refund and drops a big box on the desk. The box says "Dyson <insert model name>". It's a vacuum cleaner, in PC world. I ask him to calm down, take 4 steps backwards & look up. He actually complied... aah, "PC Clinic"... "Where's Currys?". I reply "Next unit along". I hope he was more cautious & courteous when he went next door after his A grade idiot moment.

Gorman

Author Level
Two stories from a former life for you.

First one the old engineers used to tell me about when they first started installing faxes. One office they went to and a nice lady called to complain that the fax they had just installed was not working. They assured her it was only to be confronted with her cold hard logic. How can it be working properly, each time she sends a fax the letter is still in the machine.

Second one was when i worked at a uni help desk supporting staff and students. Long story short there was at least a 10 minute wait on the phones.

One of the staff gets through to me, she sounded in a bit of a state and explained to me she had been watering her plant which lives on her crt monitor, and now it was belching out smoke.

As politely as i could i explained that she may want to alert the fire brigade, not the IT helpdesk.

PokerFace

Banned
When I worked in a garage...a long time ago:

1) Customer came in ranting that the radio wasn't working on his brand new car....pulled up the aerial and he was on his way!

2) Lady customer complaining about excess fuel consumption. After several visits to our garage during which everything seemed ok, someone noticed her handbag hanging off the 'manual' choke button!...I told you it was a long time ago.

StrangeBacon

Years ago working in Currys i was helping a man over the phone to install a game, after telling him to insert disk 2 and finally disk 3 i was told that disk 3 wouldnt fit in, to my bewilderment i found that the man hadnt taken disk 1 or 2 out of the tray before inserting disk 3!

DSN

Enthusiast
A little while ago I worked for a construction company, and we got a call in that a PC was broken.

Is it plugged in.... Will it turn on...

Eventually we sent an engineer on site. Down the side of the case were tyre marks, like bulldozer size, down the whole side of the case.

I gave them the new one i had in the car, and gave the "squished one" to the bull dozer driver.

After updating the ticket saying pc had been run over by a bulldozer. I got a reply asking why that stopped it working.

Some people.

MickyG

Enthusiast
Friend of mine worked in a call centre, he got a call from a guy about his wireless router not working. Obviously the first question is "Are the leads/cables connected properly?" to which the guy replied "Well, it's wireless, so it doesn't need to be connected? I just brought it home and it's sitting on top of my mantle piece in the box".

After putting the guy on hold for a good 3 minutes my friend answered again, as calmly as he could, and told the guy he needed to take it out the box, plug it into the cable modem and computer and switch it on. It worked after he did this

G