Which antivirus is best for a gaming pc?

Goodjacky

I was thinking for norton but I heard that they will slow your pc down and make some of your games unplayable.
After reading all the reviews I still can't decide which one i need but many are saying that Microsoft essential is good but I am still not convinced.

I will mostly be playing games, video editing and graphical work.

I won't mind paying for it either

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Norton isn't the resource hog it used to be,but if your reasonably experienced with computers I would recommend microsoft security essentials.I've used it for a couple of years now and never had any problems.

steaky360

Microsoft Essentials is all you would really need I've only heard good things about it, similarly AVG Free and Avast (and the likes) are also meant to be excellent especially given that they are free. On the note of Norton however, its certainly not the same Norton of a few years ago, it does not impact your system any where near as much as it used to (I've not noticed ANY slowdown with it) and I've never had any issues with games.

Tom DWC

Would also have to recommend MSE (if you have Windows 8, it's already installed and you don't need to do anything more) I trialed Norton recently and it was definitely a lot lighter on system resources than it used to be, but still very intrusive.

Like "HIGH CPU USAGE 3DS MAX" I know Norton, I'm rendering a 3D model, I'd be worried if the CPU usage wasn't high! And that kind of thing. It could be turned off but that meant navigating an overly complex menu.

The only time these suites are worth the subscription fee is if novice users and children are using the PC (for the parental control features) in my opinion. And they do have slightly better detection rates, but not by much.

ChrisByatt

Silver Level Poster
I quite like bitdefender - it has a gaming mode which is useful. It's all a matter of preference though - and reviews will all say lots of different things.

D1craig

Enthusiast
Iobits virus stuff is awesome it even comes we with a turbo boost thing that you can set up to turn off all non essential services for gaming or even normal use. It also does defrags and disk checks and cleans all the stuff you would do separately for making your computer faster.

Karnor00

Bright Spark
The best antivirus is being careful with how you use your computer.

I got sick of my antivirus program a few years back, switched if off and haven't looked back. But then I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing and therefore how to avoid most issues, so not necessarily an approach I'd advise most people to use.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I agree with Karnor00, you could have a great virus checker but if you allow something to install past this it can cause a lot of problems.

I just installed a free video editor on my windows 8 machine and the amount of garbage that got through is crazy, uninstalled about 5 different programs yesterday it changed all my homepages and favorites installed toolbars. GRRR. and im usually soooo careful. Somthing called Delta Search or something. I think its gone now but i have a funny feeling its there somewhere waiting. Might do a fresh install.

Microsoft Security Essentials is the way to go though.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I still use VM Security, it's free with my package so why not? Never seen any problem with it.

sayresy

AVG is a great VC. I have an ol' Acer steam powered desktop and running AVG - you wouldn't know it was there. I found Mcafee the worst offender

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I used to use ESET but that was not free and finally decided not to renew.