Which processor?

GullyMan

Hello all,

I have decided on all my PC's features but hear different things about processors, apparently gaming only needs a dual processor so is it worth getting a 6 core amd processor?

Im looking for the best Processor for gaming, can someone please give me the recommended amd model.

Much appreciated
Tom

Rakk

The Awesome
Could you let us know what else you were planning on getting, like graphics card, memory etc.
Nobody can really just suggest a CPU without knowledge of what else you were planning on getting :)

Tom DWC

With those parts sitting next to it a dual core processor would be the bottleneck of the system. You should be looking at a quad core at the very least really.

Last edited:

Michael89

Bronze Level Poster
I agree with Phoenix, the 965 is a great choice. It's fast and near silent. It also allows for newer games that do support quad core like Crysis, GTA 4, Supreme Commander 2 and Dirt 2 among some others.

Gorman

Author Level
A dual core would not bottle-neck (i hate this term) a system any more than a Quad of the same clock speed. Most games / applications do not support more than one core.

However i would recommend a Quad over a Dual for other reasons, such as longevity and multi-tasking.