Which Surround Sound Gaming Headset??

Stappa

Enthusiast
hi all,after abit of advice,do u guys use 5.1 headsets??if so what ones,and how good are they,I've just started researching online,and there's alot of choice,Ideally i would want a set that works in conjunction with my speakers(I dont want to unplug speakers each time to connect headphones etc??I guess u can get splitters thou??I like the look of the following(btw budget is around £60)

Roccat Kave Solid 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset
SPEEDLINK Medusa NX USB 5.1 Gaming Headset

Any ideas??

Dark79

Silver Level Poster
I've got the roccat kaves and they are brill, they plug into your sound card using 5 jacks, the rumble function on them is awesome too they vibrate whenever there is bass around, grenades, explosions, it feels like you're there. You have to do a bit of setting up to get them to work, update the soundblaster software and turn bass redirection on the get the rumbles. But once you've done that they are a pleasure. Comfy too, my longest sessions probably been around 5 hours with them on and did not get uncomfortable at all.

Stappa

Enthusiast
I've got the roccat kaves and they are brill, they plug into your sound card using 5 jacks, the rumble function on them is awesome too they vibrate whenever there is bass around, grenades, explosions, it feels like you're there. You have to do a bit of setting up to get them to work, update the soundblaster software and turn bass redirection on the get the rumbles. But once you've done that they are a pleasure. Comfy too, my longest sessions probably been around 5 hours with them on and did not get uncomfortable at all.

so u have to unplug the headset when u want to use speakers??or are u using splitters?

Dark79

Silver Level Poster
My tv is connected to my speakers and my pc is connected to the tv with hdmi via graphics card so the audio comes from there, my roccats plugged into sound card, all I do to swap audio outputs is use control panel audio devices and select my tv for speakers or soundblaster for roccats.

Jack Guinea

Bright Spark
Tritton ax pros are awsome as they have built in 5.1 surround sound and u can turn them up seperatley ie sub,front left back right etc

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Tritton ax pros for me too! they 120 quid though, so you could get cheaper, but they are ace.

But a pain to set up, can use optical or analogue. If you use a soundcard it has to support dolby digital 5.1, strange though when I dolby in, (in sound card settings) i have no sound on bf3. So you have to play about in the settings, but once you figure out where you are at, they are very good.

i think with turtle beaches they only simulate surround sound and like the trittons where you get actual surround sound.

I'd go for rocat koves they seem to be good for your budget dude.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
not sure what those titon ax ones are like, never used them so cant comment, however my X41's are awwwesome. :)

Jack Guinea

Bright Spark
You can get tritton ax pros for £100 from tesco if they still have the deal on as thats where i got mine from

Stappa

Enthusiast
I'm swaying to these:Sharkoon X-Tatic True 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Gaming Headset???

nearly double my budget lol,thx for your recommendations, after checking reviews they all look/sound good

MeveM

Bright Spark
not sure what those titon ax ones are like, never used them so cant comment, however my X41's are awwwesome. :)

About the TB X41's.

1. Are they easily connected to a PC? Since they're made for consoles.
2. Do you need a soundcard to use the 7.1 suround or is the P68's motherboard sound good enough?
3. How are they charged? On the stand? Or do you have to buy new batteries all the time?
4. Is the microphone good/clear etc?

5. Are the ear cups on your ear, or around your ear? Headsets that rest on your ear hurt my ears after the amount of hours I use them for.

6. And are they generally worth £120? I've had Steelseries siberia headsets lately, had 3 of them after breaking, tried others but I've never found any others with as good bass as those, how's the bass?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
About the TB X41's.

1. Are they easily connected to a PC? Since they're made for consoles.
2. Do you need a soundcard to use the 7.1 suround or is the P68's motherboard sound good enough?
3. How are they charged? On the stand? Or do you have to buy new batteries all the time?
4. Is the microphone good/clear etc?

5. Are the ear cups on your ear, or around your ear? Headsets that rest on your ear hurt my ears after the amount of hours I use them for.

6. And are they generally worth £120? I've had Steelseries siberia headsets lately, had 3 of them after breaking, tried others but I've never found any others with as good bass as those, how's the bass?

1. Connect via optical, and a usb for power
2. I find the motherboard sound just fine and works surround through the optical out, not sure if its 7.1 though, it might only be outputting 5.1
3. AAA batteries (2 of them in the right ear cup) I use rechargables. You'll get about 10 hours - 16 hours out fo a set of batteries.
4. Microphone is great, its also detachable if you dont want it on. (You can get a specific cable for the pc, but I currently use the xbox cable and have it plugged into an xbox controller so I can use voice, bit of a work around really, and the only downside to them)
5. Over ear, very comfortable, although if you got big ears they may not be lol.
6. I find the bass pretty good. Its not mind blowing bass, have deffinately heard more basey ones, not really had any other gaming headphones though so not sure what to compare to lol. Only other soudn system I got are my Z5500 and they are just stupid for bass lol. I use them for my xbox mainly tbh, and I paid £150 for them when they came out, I think theyre a bit overpriced tbh, id pay around £100 - £120 now for them I reckon.

MeveM

Bright Spark
See, those batteries put me off it for £120 :/. My Steelseries Siberia are awesome, but they're pretty fragile and the microphone is useless, it's hanging detached on the headset cable and breaks easily (they're making a new siberia headset with a normal mic but the ear padding looks as if it's on ear, not around :(...

This is another problem like mice, you need to have some hands on time with these things to know if they're worth spending ~£100 for them. It's pretty pricy equipment for stuff you might not like. We need all UK's PC gamers to bunch together and push for a PC gaming shop / department in some PC shop with gaming gear you can get some hands on time with. :p

Serendipity

Enthusiast
I know, most of the time people buy hardware from the net and it's always hard to tell...

Best thing to do is to read reviews and even independent reviews from youtube, thats the closest thing to having a first hand experience without buying. :D

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
See, those batteries put me off it for £120 :/. My Steelseries Siberia are awesome, but they're pretty fragile and the microphone is useless, it's hanging detached on the headset cable and breaks easily (they're making a new siberia headset with a normal mic but the ear padding looks as if it's on ear, not around :(...

This is another problem like mice, you need to have some hands on time with these things to know if they're worth spending ~£100 for them. It's pretty pricy equipment for stuff you might not like. We need all UK's PC gamers to bunch together and push for a PC gaming shop / department in some PC shop with gaming gear you can get some hands on time with. :p

For me batteries are deffinately a positive. Having a battery pack which needs to be plugged in or docked is annoyign becuase when they run out I then cant use them again until I recharge. Currently I have two sets of batteries, one in the headset, one on charge. This means as soon as the batteries run otu I put them on charge and use the now fully charged ones. Same reason I love xbox controllers over PS3, I dont liek havign cables in something while im using it, especially if it is a "wireless controller / headset".

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Frenchy, tried any of the cheaper, wired turtle beech headsets?

Nope I havent, but the guys in my racing team use some of the cheaper ones, and theyve all said theyre very good.

I think the thing about the TB's is that they are extremely precise in terms of range of sound, makes it extrenmely good for racers who rely heavily on the sound of the engine to shift. I can also tell what gear other cars are in around me just by the sound. Thats how good they are.

Rakk

The Awesome
Frenchy, tried any of the cheaper, wired turtle beech headsets?

I actually bought some of the cheaper Turtle Beach headphones about a week ago (for i44), I got the X11, they seem comfy enough, though after about 4-5 hours my neck was starting to ache a bit from the weight, they're wired, I always choose wired, wireless stuff doesn't seem to get on with me at all for some reason :).
The sound seemed good enough, but then I've never used headphones before for my PC, and haven't used them much yet.

Was easy enough to plug into the PC, the headphone socket and a USB port is all thats needed, the wire is about 5 million miles long (ok, maybe not, its about 10-12 foot I think), but does have a velcro strap to wrap it together

MeveM

Bright Spark
I'm in a right bad spot :p My headset sound is so good I never use speakers because they cant match my sound quality, plenty of bass and the sound is clear and nice, but they're pretty fragile, my current ones are dodgy already, depending on what volume I have them on the left ear stops working, but starts working again at certain volumes, its like tuning a radio if that makes sence :p

and since this is my 3rd pair in about 8 years, I don't think the build quality is very good. I dont move from from my desk, i don't take them with me anywhere, yet they break so easily, I haven't ever dropped them either.
I have to admit I use Steelseries Siberia headsets because they're popular in the "pro" lol counter strike scene. Used to play it, and used them since.