White/Black/Blue theme. Thoughts?

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Ok, I've installed both the fans. I wanted to put them both at the top but the one on the roof seems to be connected to the fan speed switch at the front of the case. It's connected via a 3-pin, so it's not gonna fit there even if I wanted to. But that's fine because I'm going to replace them all eventually anyway.

So I've installed one at the rear, and one in the bottom of the case. Question: Should the bottom fan be drawing air into the case? At the minute it's just blowing air into the carpet, which to me seems a little strange...?

I'll be buying a liquid cooler for the CPU, so I didn't bother swapping those fans over - plus it's really fiddly and I have fat hand syndrome.

Blackdog

Bright Spark
These fans look awesome. I'm thinking about replacing the stock fan on my titan with either this or a noctua as the current fan is a wee bit noisy

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
looks good,

Those fans are actually best for liquid coolers, so when you get a new cooler, whack them on it!

Thanks, I will do! I was taking my old PC to pieces yesterday, dismantling the cooler etc, just so I could see what it all looked like underneath, in prep for when I get my new cooler. I'm probably going to stick with the Corsair gear, so the H80i. I can see that the thermal compound comes pre-applied - do I still need to stick some on the CPU - or just clean off the old stuff and whack the cooler straight on top? Would applying my own paste to the cooler be better than the stock paste that is already pre applied?

also, rotate the bottom fan, so its intaking into the system.

Roger. Thought it seemed strange. It's annoying though because you won't be able to see the blue ring...

Yeah I saw those already - they're next in line, don't you worry :p

Last edited:

Blackdog

Bright Spark
I'd use some rubbing alcohol to clean off any thermal paste and reapply some good quality paste for best temps.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
yeah defo get some decent paste mate :)

Get some good cleaner,. i use this... in fact a few guys on here do.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silv...9846122&sr=8-1&keywords=thermal+paste+cleaner

or you can get it with MX 5,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silv...9846122&sr=8-2&keywords=thermal+paste+cleaner

OR, use noctua thermal paste, which I do and find it very very good!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NT-H...69846161&sr=8-1&keywords=noctua+thermal+paste

so, yeah clean off the old paste from the cpu, using the cleaner/purifier then the same on the cpu block. I use a microfiber cloth.

I dont know much about your case, but do you have two 120mm fan slots up top? if so, go for the H100I, then put your two corsair fans on that. and if there is room, add another two corsair fans for push pull, but this would depend upon how much space is available.

H80 I is great, but i think it blocks quite a large portion of your motherboard, so you cant see it.

then get some tasty ram :)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
yeah defo get some decent paste mate :)

Get some good cleaner,. i use this... in fact a few guys on here do.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silv...9846122&sr=8-1&keywords=thermal+paste+cleaner

or you can get it with MX 5,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silv...9846122&sr=8-2&keywords=thermal+paste+cleaner

OR, use noctua thermal paste, which I do and find it very very good!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NT-H...69846161&sr=8-1&keywords=noctua+thermal+paste

so, yeah clean off the old paste from the cpu, using the cleaner/purifier then the same on the cpu block. I use a microfiber cloth.

I dont know much about your case, but do you have two 120mm fan slots up top? if so, go for the H100I, then put your two corsair fans on that. and if there is room, add another two corsair fans for push pull, but this would depend upon how much space is available.

H80 I is great, but i think it blocks quite a large portion of your motherboard, so you cant see it.

then get some tasty ram :)

Thanks! I'd already selected the Arctic Silver 5 - so it's reassuring to see you recommend it!

Alas no, I only have 1x120mm slot in the top - I guess to have any more might make the case too noisy thus undermining the whole 'silencio' part of it!

Yeah I haven't even started to look at RAM yet. Do you think I will need to upgrade my PSU if I plan to add this cooler/RAM/Lights in the future?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Thanks! I'd already selected the Arctic Silver 5 - so it's reassuring to see you recommend it!

Alas no, I only have 1x120mm slot in the top - I guess to have any more might make the case too noisy thus undermining the whole 'silencio' part of it!

Yeah I haven't even started to look at RAM yet. Do you think I will need to upgrade my PSU if I plan to add this cooler/RAM/Lights in the future?

just remember with the thermal paste, less is more. :)

I think the 650w's will be cool mate, I think.... but almost certainly isnt big enough for two 690's.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Yeah I figured. I'll probably get another 690 in the future, but not until I've upgraded the PSU obviously. By the time I can afford another 690 I might have upgraded everything anyway :p

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Second set of 3-pin fans are on their way! Can't wait. Gotta love payday. These ones will be sitting at the front of the case.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Oops! I accidentally ordered the AF120s instead of the SP120s. I'm not sure whether to keep them or not. They were originally intended for the front of the case hence why I wanted SP fans to push air through the obstruction caused by the hard drive cage. On the other hand I really cba to go through the whole returns process :p

tom_gr7

Life Serving
those are better for case cooling rather than the Sp series, so dont worry dude.

best thing you could do with the drive cage, - lower the hard drives into the lowest slots, then remove any parts of the cage do allow air to flow unobstructed.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Yeah this was my other option, thanks, but I have a feeling the dual boot chip board gets in the way if I do that (don't really need the dual boot option).

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
best thing you could do with the drive cage, - lower the hard drives into the lowest slots, then remove any parts of the cage do allow air to flow unobstructed.

Did this today! I placed the SSD into the hotswap drive on the front of the PC. Then I placed the other 2 drives into the lower slots - which then plugged into the chipboard which manages the dual boot option (which I'm not using anyway.)

I wanted to put the SP120s on the Spire cooler but as they didn't have pads on the corners, I decided to stick with the stock fans, which I think had similar specs anyway. Thermal paste has been applied, just need to wait a while for it to settle in before I get optimum results. I also did a bit of cable management, but to be honest, there isn't much I could do as the PSU I have isn't modular, so there are loads of molexs hanging around. Not to worry.

I wonder, do you think it is possible to install the H80i at the front of the case where the HDD cage was?