Why do pc games require more space than there console equivalent?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Consoles have much reduced quality due to the hardware limits, there is no point putting higher quality images on a disc if they cant be used, Xbox 360 discs are actually around 10gb so there isnt actually as much reduction as you'd think

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Consoles have much reduced quality due to the hardware limits, there is no point putting higher quality images on a disc if they cant be used, Xbox 360 discs are actually around 10gb so there isnt actually as much reduction as you'd think

Just because the disc capacity is 10GB doesnt mean thats what they use. Best indication as to what the consoles use is when you actually install them, they tend to keep the disc just for authentication but have everything else on the HDD that way.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Just because the disc capacity is 10GB doesnt mean thats what they use. Best indication as to what the consoles use is when you actually install them, they tend to keep the disc just for authentication but have everything else on the HDD that way.

well i was just saying, a lot of people i know seem to think it is 4.7GB due to that being the standard DVD size

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
lols well considering he said 14GB, 7 GB higher, we can assume he thought it was 7GB atleast lol

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Correct me if i'm wrong, since I haven't had a 360 in a while but last I remember Xbox 360 games are 6.8GB and the actual disc size is 7.95 GB since it uses dual layer discs (can't remember the EXACT size but its about that) and due to piracy blah blah blah they are ALWAYS the same size on the disc.

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Correct me if i'm wrong, since I haven't had a 360 in a while but last I remember Xbox 360 games are 6.8GB and the actual disc size is 7.95 GB since it uses dual layer discs (can't remember the EXACT size but its about that) and due to piracy blah blah blah they are ALWAYS the same size on the disc.

Not sure about size, as far as games go though they all differ, they may just look to contain the same data but its easy enough to make a disc look fuller than it actually is.

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Not sure about size, as far as games go though they all differ, they may just look to contain the same data but its easy enough to make a disc look fuller than it actually is.

Obviously not every game has the exact same amount of data, rather the disc contains the exact amount of data on every disk.

So given that the 360 has at maximum 6.8GB of game data (which I imagine the developers will utilize all of the space available) and that the PC version is 16GB installed, do you really reckon that the extra almost 10GB is just textures and higher poly models?

I'm not saying it's not, it's just they must be some crazily high res models and textures to be that much larger?

Gorman

Author Level
I don't think you are allowed to "/thread" your own comments silly :D

That said...

/Thread

:D

demotivational-posters-q1.jpg

allowed?

Pete

Bright Spark
< addendum-thread >

isn't just because the pc version is an after thought these days? i say these days, but ever since i had an amiga the number of floppy disks was double for the pc games. :¬)

and Dragon Age 2, not content with being a console port also made pc gamers download the HQ pack!

Devs presumably have an easy time programming for consoles - the H/W and tools don't change for years and they have to make code efficient for that reason, pc's could have a wide number of hardware variations and code doesn't need to be efficient, because someone has to keep PCS in business! :p

</ 2p >

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
< addendum-thread >

isn't just because the pc version is an after thought these days? i say these days, but ever since i had an amiga the number of floppy disks was double for the pc games. :¬)

and Dragon Age 2, not content with being a console port also made pc gamers download the HQ pack!

Devs presumably have an easy time programming for consoles - the H/W and tools don't change for years and they have to make code efficient for that reason, pc's could have a wide number of hardware variations and code doesn't need to be efficient, because someone has to keep PCS in business! :p

</ 2p >

Wouldnt say devs have an easy time on consoles, but it is made less complicated due to the fixed hardware. I wouldnt agree that pc games are less efficient though, id argue that any game developer will try and make their game as efficient as possible both on console and on pc.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Frenchy...have you never played a blatant console port? There is no way all devs try to make the games as efficient on PC...slap dash sometimes... :D

Tracker

Enthusiast
It isn't just a case of having X or Y texture, PC games tend to have masses of textures, low rez, hi rez and a few in between! plus sounds aren't quite as compressed, libraries have to be bigger because they're pointing to all sorts of bits in the pc, not to mention numerous tweaks to work with the literally thousands upon thousands of combinations of kit any one pc could be composed of!

with a Xbox, you have a set resolution (scaled down to whatever the tv's doing), set audio (compressed down to tv/stereo speakers or left in 5.1 for those with the right gear), it'll all be played on the same Console OS, with the same GPU, same processor, with the same controller.. so they can strip it right down to practically nothing, this is also why console games look as good as they do despite the hardware that they run on (seriously... if you think they're looking outdated, take a peek at console tech specs and you'll soon see why! and this is hardware that only cost £200 or so 3-4 years ago!)

when installing games, they can take anything from up to 7/8gb for certain meaty games (Like Fallout3) with lots of libraries and items and things to load up, to games like Tekken 6 where they're actually just shy of 2gb installed..

that said, it's still a bloody large size difference isn't it?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Frenchy...have you never played a blatant console port? There is no way all devs try to make the games as efficient on PC...slap dash sometimes... :D

The code itself, the algorithms for physics, the vertex buffers etc etc are all as efficient on both console and PC because generally this stuff stays the same, it may appear less efficient though when they port to PC due to the fact theyre coping with many hardware types, this extra layer of abstraction to deal with all the hardware varients may cause slow down and therefore make it look more inefficient, however this layer is necessary to allow a multitude of PCs to play the games. The code itself in the game is just as efficient though.