Will my ASUS® P8Z68-V PRO offer good Surround Sound 5.1 to a headset?

ericnel

Hi all,
I never worry about audio (normally just use cheap stero headsets) but imminent BF3 leads me to want full on surround sound - without annoying the family.

Will my ASUS® P8Z68-V PRO motherboard sound drive a 5.1 headset well? Thinking of a Roccat Kave 5.1 or a Speedlink Medusa headset.

or will i need a dedicated sound card as well?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Yeah will be fine, Ive been running same motherboard using my X41's via the optical out. Sounds great.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
as frenchy said you should be fine with onboard sound, most modern headsets do tend to run off usb also which means you will get a better sound quality than some of the most expensive sound cards as usb is far better quality than regular 3.5mm jack.

ericnel

Thanks. Just now need to decide between headsets.
And ... never considered an x41, guess that would also be handy for my (dusty!) 360 ....

ericnel

as frenchy said you should be fine with onboard sound, most modern headsets do tend to run off usb also which means you will get a better sound quality than some of the most expensive sound cards as usb is far better quality than regular 3.5mm jack.

I thought (noob alert warning ... I may have this completely wrong) that headsets with USB sound cards simulate surround sound and whilst the effect can be good, the general consensus is to go "real" with jacks to a surround sound capable card?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I think it depends with USB ones, I believe some emulate, some dont. Also something like the X41 doesnt use 3.5mm jacks anyway but uses optical, sound quality is not an issue with them.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
if given the choice id go jack>usb>spdif. also there headphones, every type is simulated surround.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
if given the choice id go jack>usb>spdif. also there headphones, every type is simulated surround.

Wrong. Some headphones simulate surround, others have multiple speakers positioned within each earpiece, that is not simulated surround.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
i understand what your saying frenchy but multipul speakers are still simulating surround as there is no dedicated base or central speaker.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
i understand what your saying frenchy but multipul speakers are still simulating surround as there is no dedicated base or central speaker.

\no, that just means its surround without a central speaker lol. having front and rear aswell as left and right is what makes it surround. Simulating a centre speaker doesnt make a difference. X41's as well as other headphones use multiple speakers in each earpiece to directo sound from the front and the back creating true surround, not simulated.