Will this be a decent gaming rig?

PC_Gamer

I will mostly play on medium settings with shadows of.

Case
ANTEC 900 BLACK GAMING CASE (£79)

Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X4 945 (3.00GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3)

Motherboard
ASUS® M4A78LT-M LE: mATX MAINBOARD, DDR3, USB 2.0, SATA 3.0Gb/s

Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)

Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
I have a 1tb external hard drive i will use for installing games and other stuff.

Power Supply & Case Cooling
600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£59)

Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£62)

Keyboard & Mouse
Logitech® Wireless Desktop® MK250 Keyboard and Mouse Combo (£19)

I was on a tight budget, it's unfortunate i didn't discover this site in 08 when i had more money.

What do you think about this rig and how long should it last me?

Also does anyone know if anything else comes with the graphics card?
I have seen unboxings on the 1gb version but haven't seen anything about the 2gb version.

Last edited:

LDUK

Master Poster
With that GTX 460, medium setting will be like a walk in the park, and the GTX 460 wants to go to war. In other words, you better run those settings sky high or your wasting the power of the GTX 460.

PC_Gamer

With that GTX 460, medium setting will be like a walk in the park, and the GTX 460 wants to go to war. In other words, you better run those settings sky high or your wasting the power of the GTX 460.

Don't worry i will.

Also thanks for the help on youtube. :)

greybing

i would consider getting some dust filters for that antec 900 if i were you as it does not come with any,nice pc though similar to my spec.

Sleinous

Author Level
^Good point, also consider upping the hDD to the 64mb cache 1TB, as it really is hardly any more expensive, besides internal HDDs operate WAY faster than external HDDs, as most of today's external HDDs are USB, and the SATA signal has to be converted into a USB one before it can travel down the cable which means you dont get such a fast read / write speed as the controller in that external drive box is constantly converting signals to the 'slower' USB 2.0 format.

Obviously if your HDD is of the eSATA type just ignore everything ive just said above :)

Also, you could just take the external HDD out of its shell and pliug it into your antec with some of the MANY spare SATA cables PCS will have left for you in your welcome pack :D

PC_Gamer

I chose to get a different case.
The COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII and if it still needs dust filters then i will get some.

PC_Gamer

I have a 120gb esata hdd that i will use for the operating system and
the 1tb does use a usb type connection but i am not too bothered about the speed of a hard drive.

Sleinous

Author Level
I have a 120gb esata hdd that i will use for the operating system and
the 1tb does use a usb type connection but i am not too bothered about the speed of a hard drive.

If you're using it to play games straight off of it, you will be xD especially as most external HDDs have no more than 8-16mb cache, coupled with max transfer of the 480mbps that USB offers. Hope you're not playing anything too disk intensive lol.