Windows 11

steaky360

The main problem I believe is that many organisations/businesses based their systems around bespoke software that was written a couple of decades ago for XP and which may not run well, or at all, on Windows 10. The solution I believe is to plan to migrate to standardised interoperable applications that will be upgraded by the vendor as the OS changes.

I fully appreciate that this is a non-trivial task and will involve extensive retraining and possibly reworking of procedures and processes, but natural resistance to change is not a reason to delay, neither is the "why change if it's working" mantra. Operating systems will always evolve and the rate of change is speeding up, so it's essential that organisations base their business on software which will be supported by the vendor across operating system changes. The days of bespoke systems are dead - actually they were dead about 15 years ago but nobody wanted to admit it.
We still have PCs which need to use (gulp) Win98 (I originally thought Win95... but I can't recall for sure) for that precise reason, the programs that we use either simply do not exist for more modern systems or are too costly to warrant the upgrade.

But for the most part, we use Win10, took us a while to changeover, but we did it eventually :) Just in time for Win11 ;)

KippleKat

Enthusiast
The main problem I believe is that many organisations/businesses based their systems around bespoke software that was written a couple of decades ago for XP and which may not run well, or at all, on Windows 10. Some of this software was written in-house by people who have since retired, some was cobbled together from disparate bespoke systems that were never intended to interoperate, and some by using software that is no longer supported by the vendor.

The solution I believe is to plan to migrate to standardised interoperable applications that will be upgraded by the vendor as the OS changes.

I fully appreciate that this is a non-trivial task and will involve extensive retraining and possibly reworking of procedures and processes, but natural resistance to change is not a reason to delay, neither is the "why change if it's working" mantra. Operating systems will always evolve and the rate of change is speeding up, so it's essential that organisations base their business on software which will be supported by the vendor across operating system changes. The days of bespoke systems are dead - actually they were dead about 15 years ago but nobody wanted to admit it.
Yep that is totally right. The supply chain side of the NHS still relies on a program which runs in MS DOS. They are migrating to something new, but everything is time and money and the NHS isn't exactly flush with cash as we all know!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yep that is totally right. The supply chain side of the NHS still relies on a program which runs in MS DOS. They are migrating to something new, but everything is time and money and the NHS isn't exactly flush with cash as we all know!
They also unfortunately seem to navigate towards sham consultants who have no idea what they’re talking about and charge waaay over the running costs.

Im not talking about anyone working consultancy for the NHS itself (not trying to offend anyone), I’m talking about the guys dealing with government NHS guys.

The NHS IT itself are quite frankly remarkable with what they are able to achieve with extremely low budgets and outdated software / hardware, it’s a very tough job.

KippleKat

Enthusiast
They also unfortunately seem to navigate towards sham consultants who have no idea what they’re talking about and charge waaay over the running costs.

Im not talking about anyone working consultancy for the NHS itself (not trying to offend anyone), I’m talking about the guys dealing with government NHS guys.

The NHS IT itself are quite frankly remarkable with what they are able to achieve with extremely low budgets and outdated software / hardware, it’s a very tough job.
It definitely is really tough there, I only did a short contract stint but there was so much to do with minimal resource and zero budget. It's a massive shame it's like that, but it is what it is. Those consultancy firms need shooting! 😅

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It definitely is really tough there, I only did a short contract stint but there was so much to do with minimal resource and zero budget. It's a massive shame it's like that, but it is what it is. Those consultancy firms need shooting! 😅
I did a bit of consultancy - and you're right. Long term consultants are more interested in learning new skills they can sell on in new contracts than they are in doing a good job on the contract they have.

I did one contract for a large well-known UK organisation (that I can't name) regarding their mainframe security system (RACF for those in the know). They wanted some changes made to the access lists of a huge bunch of profiles that frankly made no sense at all and I told them so. They understood that what they wanted was inefficient, unmanageable, and would take a long time to complete - but they insited that's what they wanted because it fitted in with 'the way they liked to do things'. A job that would have taken a couple of days (and been billed as such) took a couple of months (and most certainly was billed as such!).

KippleKat

Enthusiast
I did a bit of consultancy - and you're right. Long term consultants are more interested in learning new skills they can sell on in new contracts than they are in doing a good job on the contract they have.

I did one contract for a large well-known UK organisation (that I can't name) regarding their mainframe security system (RACF for those in the know). They wanted some changes made to the access lists of a huge bunch of profiles that frankly made no sense at all and I told them so. They understood that what they wanted was inefficient, unmanageable, and would take a long time to complete - but they insited that's what they wanted because it fitted in with 'the way they liked to do things'. A job that would have taken a couple of days (and been billed as such) took a couple of months (and most certainly was billed as such!).
That sounds horrendous! I wonder if it's where I work, sounds familiar :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Bhuna50

Author Level
only skipping through:

-----

Gaming at 26 minutes 11 seconds.

Win11 - Auto HDR - vibrant colours and lighting - over 1000 games will be enhanced on devices that support Auto HDR

Direct Storage API - quick loading to grfx card without bugging CPU.

advertises xbox game pass on PC.

-----

New MS store.

-----

Bored stiff...read about it here instead: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11?icid=mscom_marcom_H1a_Windows11

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Also android apps running natively on windows. The Amazon App Store will be available connected through the microsoft store.

Last edited:

rouchie

Rising Star
My old (current) pc failed the health check :( no info seems to be easily obtainable as to why at this stage

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you've got a TPM header available on the motherboard, it's likely it's failing because it requires a TPM 2 chip.

These are readily available as add on cards for most modern motherboards.

My 8 year old build won't be compatible unfortunately, but I was nearing upgrade time anyway, so doesn't really fuss me.

As an example of a TPM 2 board, this just slots into the TPM header on the motherboard (if it has one):

Given that everyone and his dog is likely to be out buying these when they get wind, it may be worth picking one up sooner rather than later.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If you've got a TPM header available on the motherboard, it's likely it's failing because it requires a TPM 2 chip.

These are readily available as add on cards for most modern motherboards.

My 8 year old build won't be compatible unfortunately, but I was nearing upgrade time anyway, so doesn't really fuss me.

As an example of a TPM 2 board, this just slots into the TPM header on the motherboard (if it has one):

Given that everyone and his dog is likely to be out buying these when they get wind, it may be worth picking one up sooner rather than later.
the one for my pc is temporary out of stock on amazon

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Also android apps running natively on windows. The Amazon App Store will be available connected through the microsoft store.
The amazon app store, not the google play store, now that could be interesting..................so what about android apps that aren't on either of these and you have to download from the manufacturers site, could get interesting

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The amazon app store, not the google play store, now that could be interesting..................so what about android apps that aren't on either of these and you have to download from the manufacturers site, could get interesting
Yeah, no doubt someone will work out side loading from the playstore.