Windows 7 64 bit install problems - Please help.

gj73

Hi all.
I've just taken delivery of a new PC without an OS. I'm struggling to get win 7 64 bit ultimate installed.

Near the start of setup I'm getting a message like : Required CD/DVD drive driver is missing.
It then asks you to browse to a suitable driver, which I can't get past..

Any ideas please, as there are a million+ different suggestions on google and i'd rather have someone here who is familiar with this hardware comment before I randomly try things.

Points to note.
1. I can install win 7 ultimate 32 bit without an issue. Its just 64 bit I have an issue with.
2. My failing 64 bit install is from a fresh boot, with the CD rom as primary boot. The win 7 ultimate 32 bit environment is still on the c drive.
3. Ive read about disabling SATA as that may be an issue, but havent tried it.
4. The install disk is from an ISO burned using nero on the new PC. I've tried 2 different disks and both fail.

Any ideas please? my spec is below. Thanks for helping....

Case COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE
Overclocked CPU OverClocked Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz @ max 3.8GHz)
Motherboard ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM) 12GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (6 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTS450 - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk 2TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD20EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
RAID NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Did you down load the operating system,if so try downloading again,could be some files are missing or corrupt.

Tom DWC

Did you download and purchase it from the Microsoft store?

I would have to agree with the advice above and also try burning it with a different program if possible.

JSG10

Expert
If it isn't a legit copy of Windows then you'll have a hard job finding support here.
Trying to install Windows from anything other than a 100% legit copy can lead to a whole heap of problems. Win7 is one of the easiest OS to install so shouldn't really have problems with is :S

If Win7 32bit is working, try loading that up then checking in Hardware Manager that you're CD/DVD drive is correctly installed, has upto date drives and firmware then try to install 64bit again.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Tom has a good point about trying other program,i've found nero a bit dodgy with iso files,try imgburn it's free,i'm assuming you have a legit copy.

gj73

cheers guys. It's a legit copy from Microsoft.
It looks like the iso I downloaded overnight from MS was about a gig short. (2Gb rather than 3GB). I'm re-downloading it now.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
cheers guys. It's a legit copy from Microsoft.
It looks like the iso I downloaded overnight from MS was about a gig short. (2Gb rather than 3GB). I'm re-downloading it now.

Good stuff,hope you succeed this time.

pengipete

Rising Star
If you still have problems, use a reputable download manager as they handle interuptions without losing any data - unlike the normal downloader on your browser. Most downlaod managers will also reduce the time taken to download by pulling parts of the data from multiple servers at the same time.