Windows 7 or Windows 8?

mishra

Rising Star
I always love reading all the "facts" about how much this is faster than that? I mean seriously? Was here anyone here who installed on the same PC windows 7 from scratch + drivers + benchmark and then did the same for windows 8, no? I thought so. Also was the difference only in benchmark or you actually noticed the difference. Believe me 3fps more is something that you will not notice!

I know internet is full of benchmarks and what not... Cold stone truth is that Windows 8 will have some driver issues at beginning as every other system had in the past. I would say for now... stick to Windows 7 and jump into Windows 8 in about few months, maybe a year.

All our customers (business) are staying away from Windows 8 for as long as it will be possible. Any of you seen Windows server 2012... hmm, we had an option to go with it or not for a specific customer. And guess what we decided to do... yup you're right. Windows Server 2008 R2 > than Windows Server 2012.

I have nothing against Windows 8 and will most likely use it at some point. But the real question is why should I just change right now, just because it is available out there? Hmm.. screw this. I believe even if I would be buying a new PC I would still stick with Windows 7 (I would probably go with optional upgrade to Win 8 - seeing from your posts, the prices is just perfect for that).

ps. UAC is still broken in Win7.. I mean really, it is. Just go and switch it off. If you don't believe me ask any of your tech support friends in server and domain environment.
ps2. This new GUI of Windows 8 reminds me of Unity on Linux. Yes it works fine, and also looks good. But why such a drastic change? Is there really something wrong in good-old "Start" button... don't think so. PC is not a mobile phone... we need to click to work on a PC.. untill VirtualReality and 3D kick-in properly... it seem to me only as gadget. Not something that actually make you work faster, I'm afraid.

Skitch2

I went for windows 8 coz it looks pretty!!
I never owned a PC capable of running vista or 7 so i can only compare to XP and win 98 :)
I like the tile idea even for a desktop and i am glad Microsoft had the gumption ( i like that word ) to go for broke and run with summit different. People will always hate change! :)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I went for windows 8 coz it looks pretty!!
I never owned a PC capable of running vista or 7 so i can only compare to XP and win 98 :)
I like the tile idea even for a desktop and i am glad Microsoft had the gumption ( i like that word ) to go for broke and run with summit different. People will always hate change! :)

I like the tile system as well which is why I might upgrade to win8. Windows 7 can sometimes be a bit blurry and small for a 32 inch LCD tv :L I don't know if I can be done with the hassle of swapping now though..

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I'm enjoying Windows 8, just takes a bit of getting used to. Going to get Surface for Christmas and give that a go too...

Jiffy

I am usually an early adopter, but having had Windows 8 abitrarily inflicted upon me via my work laptop I can honestly say I can't abide it.

That tile system reminds me of a desktop that has been rendered unusable with so called shortcuts. The grief I'd get from the Mrs also doesn't bear contemplation. She does not respond positively to change and it would all be my fault :shifty:

Just ordered Windows 7 Pro with my new build (currently in pre production, suspense killing me) I guess if I do overcome my inner Luddite I can upgrade later.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I always love reading all the "facts" about how much this is faster than that? I mean seriously? Was here anyone here who installed on the same PC windows 7 from scratch + drivers + benchmark and then did the same for windows 8, no? I thought so.

I have dont this recently when my PC broke down i restored it to windows 7, when it came back i installed and ran Guild Wars 2 from scratch and was averaging about 55FPS.

I think upgraded the lot to windows 8 again from scratch and was getting a average 60FPS.

For me im happy that its running more stable, although you couldn't tell the difference between 55 and 60 i find that small quick frame rate drops can be noticed to some people if your watching for it. I only usually notice it in Open World MMOs.

Your right that the small difference in FPS makes no visual difference but its good to know its running more stable.

I limit my FPS to 60btw.

Not saying that this is Fact just my experience.

Last edited:

jwa2626

I've been using win8 for a week now and I have no intention of going back. I particularly love the new task manager and file transfer windows. A big improvement. I've hardly used Metro at all, however.

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
I asked about the 7 or 8 and i am so glad I went with 8 as it feels so much better, installed Classic Powershell to get the start button back and all is well.

I do you use the metro tile thing and seems good.