Windows 7 or Windows 8?

rontur

Hi Guys,

Got a choice between Windows 7 or 8 for the new desktop. It's mostly going to be used for some moderate gaming, some image processing, a little bit of programming and the usual word processing/excel stuff. Just looking for opinions on what OS to go for, they're both the same price. I've not heard great things about 8 and I enjoy using 7 on my laptop at the moment. Would I be missing out on much just going for Windows 7?

Thanks!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ignore him he is talking rot :p Windows 8 is the best performing OS Microsoft have ever produced. Amazing experience here.
That's my opinion,and you're entitled to yours,no call to be offensive about it.

Last edited:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Vista!

(someone's gotta stand up for the wimpy ginger spotty kid that noone talks to and pretends doesn't even exist! Bit of balance :D )

Tight Git

Bronze Level Poster
You see the problem Rontur.

Ask 6 experts anything and you'll get 6 different answers.

All correct, of course!

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
I for one will not be upgrading to Windows 8 just yet. Will wait for the Guinea Pigs to iron out the bugs and better compatible drivers to be released. Don't really think I am missing out on much. I was one of the people who avoided Vista like the plague.

baron75mk2

Banned
Tried it twice & HATED it !! ill be staying with windows 7 untill microsoft actually release an OS thats desighned for desktop pc users & not touch screens

(i mean lets face it unless your after metro whats the point ? - sure a little faster to boot , but with this comes a LOT harsher to use & a few extra fps on your games , not worth all the hassel for me) ,

plus you have to source software just to get your start menu back !! - ridiculous :eek:

rickne

Master Poster
Tried it twice & HATED it !! ill be staying with windows 7 untill microsoft actually release an OS thats desighned for desktop pc users & not touch screens

(i mean lets face it unless your after metro whats the point ? - sure a little faster to boot , but with this comes a LOT harsher to use & a few extra fps on your games , not worth all the hassel for me) ,

plus you have to source software just to get your start menu back !! - ridiculous :eek:

Windows key short cuts?

baron75mk2

Banned
Windows key short cuts?

Why should i have to be bothered ? - i want to use the mouse (& i should be able to use the mouse) , but its all personal taste i suppose , just seems like win 8 was desighned for tablets & the traditional desktop user was an afterthought :)

steaky360

Why should i have to be bothered ? - i want to use the mouse (& i should be able to use the mouse) , but its all personal taste i suppose , just seems like win 8 was desighned for tablets & the traditional desktop user was an afterthought :)

I have not tried win8 myself yet but I don't think I will be on my PC. Might get in on the laptop and see how it runs first but can't see me enjoying it much from the myriad of comments and reviews I have read here and elsewhere.

Seems like a backwards step to me getting rid of the mouse (or making it less useful)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I have not tried win8 myself yet but I don't think I will be on my PC. Might get in on the laptop and see how it runs first but can't see me enjoying it much from the myriad of comments and reviews I have read here and elsewhere.

Seems like a backwards step to me getting rid of the mouse (or making it less useful)

Same here, it is just the hassle of installing it and dealing with possible driver issues.

rickne

Master Poster
Driver issues for me were nil. Lets just say the only problem I had was with the Biometric device but who cares about that. Gaming has been proven to increase performance with this OS over 7. Direct X has begun rolling out drivers only primarily compatible with Windows 8. Install took 10 minutes on my laptop. Even if I installed third party software to re add the start menu, once that is done you NEVER have to see the METRO system. Sure there is overlays but these have made navigation simpler and faster, there is nothing saying you cant just use the original explorer.

Aero gets replaced in a sense. You get smart colour themes now that change according to the wallpaper used. Aero windows still operate the same , just no opacity.

Again though the speed of this OS is blinding on an SSD especially. Microsoft made this OS tooled up right out of the box requiring minimal driver updates and is as optimised as Win 7 was by its second service pack. So the old "oh im gonna wait till sp2"
phrase will be the thing of the past.

What is the point in slagging something off you haven't tried for yourself? Just like kids with their food.

Amazing 5* OS.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
What is the point in slagging something off you haven't tried for yourself? Just like kids with their food.
I don't like radish, never tried it :) I didn't me to say it is not good, just a hassle for me to change since I don't have any issues with Win7 now.

jwa2626

I went with win8.

Without mods it's only one click back into the desktop, and you can arrange the metro interface to suit your "start button needs" anyway.

Not saying it's worth upgrading to but with a new-build I thought it made sense.

stebro297

Bronze Level Poster

I hated the 2 W8 previews but the actual final thing isn't bad.

Faster, a LOT more secure and you barely even have to use metro/the UI/whatever you want to call it. Learn about 2 windows shortcuts and you're sorted.

Some people are just scared of change though. Just remember how everyone hated UAC in vista but decided it was ok in W7.....

I had 1 driver problem which was quickly sorted but running the installer in compatibility mode.

W8, do it!!! :)

niklad

I hated the 2 W8 previews but the actual final thing isn't bad.

Faster, a LOT more secure and you barely even have to use metro/the UI/whatever you want to call it. Learn about 2 windows shortcuts and you're sorted.

Some people are just scared of change though. Just remember how everyone hated UAC in vista but decided it was ok in W7.....

I had 1 driver problem which was quickly sorted but running the installer in compatibility mode.

W8, do it!!! :)

I'll be running windows 8 on my new computer.
To be honest I think i much prefer windows 7, but there are enhancements under the hood in windows 8 that make it better, plus with start8 plugin (yes microsoft should have provided an option for the start menu, but I guess they are just trying to force change!) the desktop "app" will run as before.

Plus, you can buy the "upgrade" for £25 directly from microsoft download. Bargain!