Windows 7 service pack update failure

BAD SANTA

Can anybody please help me as I'm getting pretty fd off with this update.
I have tried three times to get it to install but keeps failing after reboot by about 10%, keeps saying windows failed to install service pack 1 and I can't seem to figure it out.
Any help would really be appreciated.

Adam

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
1 Install Windows Update KB2454826 if not already installed. http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=6691
2 run windows update troubleshooter.go to control panel,type troubleshooter in the search box,
click system and security,then windows update.
3 run "sfc /scannow" (checks & tries to fix corrupted files) from command prompt.Type cmd in the search box,copy & paste the command,without the quotes.
4 update through the standalone installer http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5842

Last edited:

BAD SANTA

+rep for the effort but tried all that already.

I think it might be time for a reinstall although I really don't want to in the slightest one tiny little bit. :-(

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Yeah,can't think of anything else myself,well there's safemode but you've probably tried that.
And you will have made a backup:)

BAD SANTA

Yep, yep and yep but I can't see why it won't install I mean my rig is the tidiest there is I always clean up after myself so something must be up with it do you think my hard drive could have a faulty block or something because I can't see a reinstall from backup is going to solve it, and I really don't wanna do a clean install.

philwil

One possibility: check that your system calendar and clock is showing right date and time. I had something similar happen in XP a couple of years ago, and couldn't work out why updates were being cancelled. After several days I discovered I'd inadvertently changed the date whilst checking my calendar. That was all it took!

Here's hoping...

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Most common cause is a corrupt registry I think,.
I meant backup of your data,a system image would just give the same result I reckon.

Last edited:

BAD SANTA

Yer I agree, I think that I'm just going to do a complete clean install and Dban my main SSD as most of my stuff is on my caviar black.