Windows 7 version question

JohnMalcolm1970

Well, my new PC is now in the Building stage and I'm starting to try and get things organised for moving from the old machine to the new. I have a retail copy of Norton 360 and I've managed to get my available Licensed Installs reset to 3. This means I can install it onto my new PC. This older PC will be getting a good pull-through with a wire brush and a nice clean Windows 7 install in readiness for handing over to my parents. To them it will seem like some kind of machine from the future. Their present PC is one of those cheap jobs that supermarkets sell (bought without consulting me) and it's slower than hell and just generally crap.

Onto my main question. I have a retail copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. The PCS machine will come with Windows 7 Home Premium. Is there any point at all in trying to swap these round so that my shiney new PC has the Ultimate version on and I install Home Premium on the older machine?

From a quick look online I can find these features that Ultimate has that Home Premium doesn't.
  • Windows XP mode
  • Domain Join
  • Additional Backup and Restore stuff
  • Bitlocker
  • Language stuff

On Amazon there's roughly a £50 difference between full retail version of these. I just wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts on this, and what hoops I'd have to jump through to do it.

The next thing I need to start looking at is whether I can whip out a couple of things from this HP machine and utilise them in the new one. There's a HP Pocket Media drive bay at the front with a nice eject button which I rather like. The drive itself can be used simply as an external USB one without the bay, but I do like it. The HP machine also has a vertical bay bottom right for an HP Personal Media drive, which can also function as an external USB drive. I'd always planned on these drives being utilised for backups and such, but never really got round to it. This is a habit I can hopefully force myself into on a fresh new PC.