Windows 8 on a New Laptop !?

LiddleP

Bronze Level Poster
Received my new Laptop (a Vortex Elite) this afternoon but had no opportunity to do more than unbox, so unfortunately, now I want to access it and find I can't and PCS is closed - so no support to turn to

The reason I can't access it is because, when I power on and get to the section after you provide a name for the PC, it wants to connect to the internet using Wireless to complete setup and and no other options are provided.

Unfortunately I do not use Wireless to connect to the internet, so I can't move forward even if I wanted to.

Trying to examine the possibilities, I have looked into bios to see if I could disable the wireless card but see no option to do so - though I would like to know if and how I can if if, that is not really my reason for posting.

... I have no wish to connect to the internet at this point as I have a feeling it will try and activate windows and AFAIK I should have 60 days grace before there should be a need to do so - but this is the way it has been configured.

What I would like to know is if there is a way I can get past this stage without having to connect to the internet ?

Maybe reinstalling Windows is an option ?

It would also be helpful to know if PCS open on the weekend, I will go look around for their opening times but post if you are aware of this.

Thanks in advance of your posting if you do

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Unlike previous versions of windows,windows 8 requires a valid product key and to be activated before you can install it,
therefore there is no "trial" period before the need for activation like previous versions,as far as I know.

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
PCS are indeed open at the weekends, but only from 9am til 1pm on Saturdays

LiddleP

Bronze Level Poster
And where does one locate this product key, my search for it has been a futile one thus far.

Unfortunately I was unable to phone up PCS on Saturday and since then have been waiting responses to emails to informing them of my inability to locate the product code as well as try to address other issues - but with non forthcoming I feel the need to move on.

Do I really need the Product key and can I bypass the wireless blockade by just plugging in my Ethernet cable ?
... latter should be the case but I could not be bothered to unbox and check without having the code

If I do need the product code, is it a generic one or does it change from batch to batch ?

... and if it doesn't change can anyone kindly pass the code my way ?

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
On a desktop, it'll be on a sticker on the back of the machine, on a laptop, the sticker will be on the underside.
The CD key is unique for each DVD of Windows

LiddleP

Bronze Level Poster
If I recall correctly, I was being prompted for a Product Key a 25 character alpha numeric key, not CD key, I think I looked at it but now I am not so sure.

Ok, will go unbox and check it out, lazy me, thanks for your quick response.

Rakk

The Awesome
If I recall correctly, I was being prompted for a Product Key a 25 character alpha numeric key, not CD key, I think I looked at it but now I am not so sure.
Product key, CD key, they are same thing in this case :)
Some (including myself) call them CD keys, some call them product keys, sorry if I made it confusing.

LiddleP

Bronze Level Poster
Ok, sounds good :D

... still here trying to find the motivation to go unbox, at least I can take some strength from your confirmation :)
... dunno if that is enough yet to get me up but thanks thanks anyhow :D

steaky360

If you plugged an Ethernet cable in it should connect to the Internet without any problems :) (if you have not tried already)

LiddleP

Bronze Level Poster
Nope, too cosey under-covers browsing other things of interest to venture out.

Thanks for confirming though, thought it would, maybe when I get up for a cuppa tea I will unbox and give it a try.

Must confess, there are other reasons why I haven't tried as hard as I could have, I probably will post on this down the line.