Windows 9 release soon?

PokerFace

Banned
Is it some sort of perverted gimmick that every other release of Windows is regarded as worse than the last? It just seems strange.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Is it some sort of perverted gimmick that every other release of Windows is regarded as worse than the last? It just seems strange.
It does seem to be the case though,
Windows 95 good.
Windows 98 bad.
Windows 98 Second edition good.
Windows 200/ME bad.
Windows XP good.
Windows Vista bad.
Windows 7 good.
Windows 8 ?? matter of opinion,but apparently Microsoft regard it as a bit of a flop,especially for PC users.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If you consider 8.1 as a release which was actually a decent improvement then Windows 9 may suck after all :/. But its not a full release really so W9 will hopefully be good. I think either way though people will stick with Windows 7 until it dies a forced death like XP has.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If you consider 8.1 as a release which was actually a decent improvement then Windows 9 may suck after all :/. But its not a full release really so W9 will hopefully be good. I think either way though people will stick with Windows 7 until it dies a forced death like XP has.
Couldn't agree more,I still use XP on my 9 year old second desktop and can't see me wanting to ditch Windows 7 on this one anytime soon either.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
To be perfectly honest though, I like Windows 8. I've got it on my laptop, I chose it for better compatibility especially with Visual Studio and Windows development. I have almost all my used programs pinned to the taskbar like on Windows 7 so I don't need to access the start screen. I am a big fan of the metro design myself though, I prefer simpler icons with just a few colours used. The multitasking on apps is also very good and works well on dual screens.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
To be perfectly honest though, I like Windows 8. I've got it on my laptop, I chose it for better compatibility especially with Visual Studio and Windows development. I have almost all my used programs pinned to the taskbar like on Windows 7 so I don't need to access the start screen. I am a big fan of the metro design myself though, I prefer simpler icons with just a few colours used. The multitasking on apps is also very good and works well on dual screens.
Yes I can understand that,but I think people with desktops especially,would have been perfectly happy with Windows 7 for a few years yet.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yes I can understand that,but I think people with desktops especially,would have been perfectly happy with Windows 7 for a few years yet.

If I had not planned on doing Windows Phone development I wouldn't have needed it and would have gone with Windows 7. I suppose now, being much more advanced in tech than I was when I got my gaming PC, I could use and get along with almost any operating system. I do already run 2 versions of Linux alongside Windows 8 on my laptop and I like both of them and I pick up new OSs quickly :D

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If I had not planned on doing Windows Phone development I wouldn't have needed it and would have gone with Windows 7. I suppose now, being much more advanced in tech than I was when I got my gaming PC, I could use and get along with almost any operating system. I do already run 2 versions of Linux alongside Windows 8 on my laptop and I like both of them and I pick up new OSs quickly :D
I don't find Windows 8 all that hard to use myself,just can't see how it's any better than Windows 7,not for me anyway,plus it doesn't have Windows Media Center which I use for my TV card,far better than the WinTV software provided with the card.
Always fancied giving Linux a try just out of curiosity,but don't seem have the appetite to explore like I used to,happy to just plod along now,unlike you young guys :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I don't find Windows 8 all that hard to use myself,just can't see how it's any better than Windows 7,not for me anyway,plus it doesn't have Windows Media Center which I use for my TV card,far better than the WinTV software provided with the card.
Always fancied giving Linux a try just out of curiosity,but don't seem have the appetite to explore like I used to,happy to just plod along now,unlike you young guys :)

Haha well I managed to get experience on Linux on my old laptop when the hard drive crapped out and I had no way of reinstalling Windows and I was too tight to buy it so I installed Ubuntu on an old hard drive. Ubuntu is best for simplicity and compatibility but Kubuntu has a slight edge for a more advanced user and better performance.

Speaking of performance, W8 does offer improved performance supposedly. I think this includes desktop programs and games. I can see DX12 also only being compatible with Windows 8 and Windows 9

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Speaking of performance, W8 does offer improved performance supposedly. I think this includes desktop programs and games. I can see DX12 also only being compatible with Windows 8 and Windows 9
Yeah,no doubt some of us will be forced to upgrade sooner or later.

mdwh

Enthusiast
The problems with "every other version" (aside from it being opinion anyway):
* It paints Windows 2000 as bad, which most certainly wasn't the case. Indeed, XP got similar hate (at least from geek/IT circles) when it was first released, because to people happily using 2000, XP seemed to be just additional UI changes that they didn't want.
* It gets arbitrary how you label releases (is 8.1 a new OS or not? Why is "second edition" of 98 counted separately? etc).

The only actual pattern I think is "MS roll out major changes every so often; they later tweak these changes in response to user feedback".

I like Windows 8 and prefer it to 7, but for people happy on Windows 7, that's fine too - no need to upgrade just for the sake of it.