Windows ReadyBoost?

Gorman

Author Level
Not that will give reliable results and is worth doing. SSD is the best option.

Whats it for?

NMEBowen

Master Poster
just looking at ways to upgrade my hard drive speed im going to raid my cavier black but i wondered if there was a way to add some sort of cache drive as im not willing to buy a ssd till they are 50p a gb.

Gorman

Author Level
Hmm, i would leave it as is then, RAID is just more hassle than its worth in my book.

Hybrid drive maybe?

NMEBowen

Master Poster
i didnt really plan on anything im more interested in changing my case and psu and adding a 2nd gpu but i posted my proposed upgrades and someone said raid so i thought it wasnt a bad idea as im buying a load of hhd`s for fraps (cant belive it uses 4gb for a min worth of recording).

Gorman

Author Level
hmm, personally i wouldnt bother with RAID, dabbled myself and noted no real performance issues using a standard onboard controller.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
hmm sod it then as i said il wait till ssd`s drop in price or i see an offer on some, cheers gorman +rep.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
oh quick q gorman i know ive sent a email asking but if i decided to change my case how would i stand warrenty wise with this? im currently doing a btec in computer engineering so id quite like to do it as a indepth project id of course post the indepth photo and written project on the forums for you as the case i selected (thermaltake level 10 gt) seems like a interesting one to fill.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
yes stappa but atm its just not worth it as the ssd life is just to low for the price ive started alot of video editing with fraps vids and the size of uncompresed 1080p files at 60fps would kill the ssd in no time and concidering im moving up to 5760x1080 resolution this christmas the uncompressed filed will be insane. currently its 3.99gb for 56 seconds of 1080p recording at 60 frames and my resolution across 3 secreens will be more like 12gigs for 60 seconds worth even with my writing these files to a scratch drive i would still be using the ssd when editing which would kill it in under 12months of my use. 300quid for a 240gb ssd thats only going to last me 12 months doesnt sound like a decent deal to me.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
yes but as i said the video editing software id use would still be writing the files on and off the ssd when editing.

Park_Ranger

Bronze Level Poster
Intel® Solid-State Drive 510 Series

Life expectancy 1.2 million hours Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) (138 years)

NMEBowen

Master Poster
hmm yes seems good but its still £2 a gb and im just not willing to pay that sorry id rather spend my money on a 2nd gpu