Windows update (25-09-12), upset anyone's Start-Up?

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
All been fine since last year. Seems a bit of a coincidence that I spotted an automatic Windows update appear as I shutdown last night and this morning...

...my PC asked if I wanted to repair the Start-Up. I tried this recommendation but couldn't use it as the mouse went off(!).

So I booted normally instead. Worked ok. But this leaves me suspicious on what happened when I Shutdown normally last night.

Anyone else had this suddenly?

My next step is a Restore I would guess from the Control Panel? Windows makes a Restore point before each update doesn't it? Any tips?

Zenith

Had something similar happen to me the other day, but I got a "No operating system" error message. Turns out something upset my BIOs, so it switched off all the drives. Managed to sort that out, but now my storage drive is missing.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Had something similar happen to me the other day, but I got a "No operating system" error message. Turns out something upset my BIOs, so it switched off all the drives. Managed to sort that out, but now my storage drive is missing.
Check in disk management to see if the drive/partition is showing there,
click "Start"/right click"computer"/Manage/under "Storage"select "Disk Management",
or click "start" and type diskmgmt.msc in search box.
It's possible you only need to assign a Drive letter,If no letter is assigned for the drive,
right click on the bar of the drive in the lower half of the screen,
select "change drive letter and paths"
click on the Add button in the next menu to select a drive letter.
Click ok to assign selected drive letter or choose your own letter from the drop down menu,check in "computer" to confirm missing drive is showing.
If the drive is showing as unallocated,
right click on the black bar of the "unallocated drive",
click on "new simple volume"then follow the wizard.(this will delete all data)
check in "computer" to confirm missing drive is showing.
If it's not showing in disk management, check the drive isn't disabled in bios settings,
If it's not showing in bios check the sata & power connections to the hard drive & the sata port connection on the motherboard,one may have come loose.

Last edited:

Zenith

Thanks for your response, there is no sign of it in disk management or the BIOS. It's just gone.

I don't think anything could have come loose, as I have not moved it in a long, long time. This seems to have happened right after the boot failure issue I was having.

Edit: Tried as system restore to before Windows update, as some forums were saying that was one possible fix. Sadly, not so in this case; there's still no sign of the damned thing, and I have no idea why this has happened, or how to go about fixing it.

Last edited: