Wireless signal?

Corfate

Author Level
Hooked up my new wireless card last night, as in installed it into the PCI slot and booted the computer up, followed the instructions given with the card, and im having problems with the signal?

I get a poor 2 bar signal strength, which is then followed by "no internet access" so i cannot get on the internet. I tried moving the router around, but it didn't make a real difference since the cable to the router is very small. My PC must be about 5M away from the router, and it's strugglnig to get a internet connection?

My Old Dell sat in exactly the same place as my new pc, with a 2-3 year old wireless card in it and it got a 4 bar signal, which allowed me to connect to the internet fine.

I rang up Technical support, and they told me to check the Antena's were screwed in properly, which they were, and then got advised to move the computer closer to the router to see if it was a problem with the card. Im currently typing this on my new pc, with a 5 bar signal. The router is pretty much next to the computer though.

So, why can't i get a good signal, where my old pc could?!

I just want to play on it, as it's been here since Monday, sitting under my desk, useless :(

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Have you screwed in the two antennas?

Dw hadnt read whole post

How old is the router it may not be properly compatible with windows 7 which means you need to upgrade

Corfate

Author Level
Maybe around 5 years old?

Think that might be the problem.. I don't want to end up buying a new router and then finding out it's not the router at all, then having to buy a wireless repeater :(

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Who are you with for internet? If ours breaks down we can request a new one from virgin free of charge and i last one was a pretty high end router (one of d-links best without going into their gaming routers)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If you dont want to spend £80/min then go on saynoto0870.com and search virgin (or whichever you are on)

Corfate

Author Level
We're with AOL Broadband (I know... ) and the router we have at the minute is a Netgear 54 Mbs Wireless ADSL Modem Router DG834G. We bought that from some electrical store a while ago, i think it was PC World.

Corfate

Author Level
I was thinking that the Router may not be compatable with Windows 7, as it's 4-5 years old?

Im thinking it mgiht be best to ring up NetGear and ask if it is compatable..

pr1s0ner

If its working at any distance, wouldn't that suggest that it is compatible?? Wireless is funny thing, so many variables thats its quite common to get wildly different results with different cards.
Have you tried just switching through the channels on the router? If your getting a signal then that may help

Corfate

Author Level
I can see the signal in the other room when i scan for it, but it's a very weak signal strength, which doesn't allow me to get access to the internet :(

I don't know how to do the channel thing, and i don't want it to mess up the connection for the other computers connected :l

Corfate

Author Level
The router is actually a Netgear DG834G v3. Missed out the v3 part when looking at the bottom of it..

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If you want to change the settings

Type this this in on your browser address bar

Then the login will probably be 'admin' with no password

Then get familiar with it and look for the channels section and you can try mess around with them once you have found it

Corfate

Author Level
It's not admin, it needs a password aswell.. :/

Think im gonig to find the number for Netgear and give them a call

pr1s0ner

Just a quick look online, and looks like a nice straightforward web interface. Just open a browser and type the routers IP address the default if you haven't changed should be "http://192.168.0.1".
There are 11 channels to choose from, I've always found the quickest is to check 1, 6 & 11 and see which is best and then maybe try a channel up or down from that.