wireless vs homeplugs

truegrace

Enthusiast
Obviously homeplugs would be a better solution, but I have been gaming on wireless for 3 years on my current pc and never been disconnected. I get a max strength signal where my pc is (directly above the router upstairs)

I'm gonna be ordering my rig on Wednesday, and can just about afford my budget of £1100.
If I don't buy homeplugs this month and use my old wireless pci card instead I won't have to spend quite so long calculating before I order just to make sure I can afford it (trust me, an extra £40 can make all the difference at the end of the month)

Does anybody think this is a wise idea? Half of me thinks 'yep, wireless will do you fine' the other half is like 'just buy the homeplugs fool (in a Mr T voice)

I know you lose a bit of speed through wireless but I only get a 3mbps connection anyway, and didn't actually notice any difference on speed tests when i was wired and had a cable running around the house.

Only 3 days to wait, and then probably the longest 10-12 working days ever :p

NMEBowen

Master Poster
if you have a wireless card and it works well then theres no point in the homeplugs unless you want the wireless card for your old pc again.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
your speeds may stay the same, but your PING will decrease on homeplugs (this is better)

ping is the response time between your PC and the server, its important for gaming, more important than actual data amount

its also much less likely to cut out, i often get short stints of lag on my xbox via wireless

NMEBowen

Master Poster
by <1ms not exactly the end of the world if you want to see your wirless ping the things home plugs would get rid of goto search type "cmd.exe" open that it should look like dos (it is dos) in that type "ipconfig" look for default gateway there should be your routers IP then type "Ping, space, then that number" the details then show your router ping.

truegrace

Enthusiast
Think I will give it ago with wireless anyway, as I could spend the 38 on something else, currently looking at a spec without a dvd drive as I already have 4 here, so might put the cash towards a bluray drive maybe providing I have it spare, or fast track :D
Accidently formatted my HD this morning at about 3am, cba to reinstall everything so without pc til my new one arrives

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Bad luck! I wouldn't recommend fast track, it really isn't worth it, you may aswell spend the money on the hardware.

mart22

Bronze Level Poster
A few beers didn't help, was supposed to do my semi empy partition, trying to get everything organized to transfer to a new rig.

Realised my error this morning with a hangover :p

...snigger....a few beers:D

Anyway, re homeplugs. All BT Vision boxes are supplied with homeplugs. If you know anyone with BT Vision then they might have an unused set of homeplugs they can give you for nothing!

TheKeir

Bright Spark
I'd definitely get the homeplugs, as Wozza said whilst your speed won't go up they are much more reliable. For some online games, particularly MMOs at a high level, you disconnecting can be a lethal blow to your group or team. I've had a few problems with my wireless card from PCS, it just won't download things at a proper speed. Would definitely 100% recommend homeplugs.