Witcher 3

Spuff

Expert
I strongly disliked a lot about Witcher 2, although I did finish it. I hated the very restrictive environments where you couldn't tread in places that if it were real you obviously could tread. I hated only being to able to go up and down at designated clamber points and not being able to jump. I hated the map that was little use in finding your way around. The first quite small town had a load point to go between the two halves of it which was really clunky. I don't think just adding a bit of swearing makes the world seem more gritty or visceral. I'm not a fan of detailed or very difficult combat so that aspect held no appeal to me.
I am though, very much looking forward to Witcher 3.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
True, All the video reviews from the likes of LinusTech tips etc suggest that there is very little difference or benefit between the I5 and I7 for gaming, he was getting results of about 1FPS difference between all the CPU's which could also vary between runs i would have though.

I think you're right about it being only a 1fps difference. In the majority of games it doesn't make a big difference, maybe up to 2fps, but nothing hugely important to warrant spending another £100 or so.

The only time an i7 is better for gaming is for certain games which are more CPU intensive, I think minecraft is a decent example when paired with mods and skyrim as well.

Spuff

Expert
Quite funny reading the stuff about the PS4 and XB1 already struggling to play these games in their first year of life. Has a 'current' gen of consoles ever been so weak compared to PCs before?

I think you'd be hard pushed to buy a new PC system for £350 and have it perform as well as a PS4/Xbox.
You also have to consider the developer's lack of record developing for consoles, and that there is no final build yet.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
I think you'd be hard pushed to buy a new PC system for £350 and have it perform as well as a PS4/Xbox.
You also have to consider the developer's lack of record developing for consoles, and that there is no final build yet.

But I bet you could buy a much better PC and 10 games for the same price as a PS4/XB1 and those same 10 games

Spuff

Expert
But I bet you could buy a much better PC and 10 games for the same price as a PS4/XB1 and those same 10 games

I played on the PS3 for at least 6 years and I only bought one game new. I hardly ever kept any games. I bought games second hand and sold them when I'd finished, averaging out at a zero spend (although I did spend a bit on extras that would have been free new). You can't do that on PC.

Last edited:

SlimCini

I played on the PS3 for at least 6 years and I only bought one game new. I hardly ever kept any games. I bought games second hand and sold them when I'd finished, averaging out at a zero spend (although I did spend a bit on extras that would have been free new). You can't do that on PC.

Well yes OK. Consoles certainly fill a niche. That sort of tactic of always purchasing second hand though certainly does damage the developers making money though, given they see none of that second hand money... so in that respect I can see the logic behind why consoles will probably eventually go to digital only for games. If/when that happens, will the lack of second hand value kill off console gaming for some?

Spuff

Expert
There was a big outcry when the latest Xbox announced they wouldn't allow the re-sale of games, and they had to backtrack on that. One of the things that won the PS4 the pre-release announcements was that they stated no restriction on re-sales. There were various ways games did get some money out of people on the second hand market.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to Witcher 3 on PC.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/01/28/the-witcher-3s-beautiful-ugliness

Last edited:

SlimCini

There was a big outcry when the latest Xbox announced they wouldn't allow the re-sale of games, and they had to backtrack on that. One of the things that won the PS4 the pre-release announcements was that they stated no restriction on re-sales. There were various ways games did get some money out of people on the second hand market.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to Witcher 3 on PC.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/01/28/the-witcher-3s-beautiful-ugliness

Yup, I can see why they backtracked. And I used to do exactly the same thing when I had a console. But in the grand scheme of things, if developers don't make money (which they don't with second hand sales) then the small ones go out of business, and the big ones just churn out rehashed sequels. I can't see the current console model being both sustainable and providing good games in the future simultaneously.

What really needs to change is the console whiners who are always whinging about frame rates and resolutions. If that's really what you care about then buy a PC. You can't expect to pay (relative) peanuts and expect high FPS and resolutions.

Cricky

Enthusiast
Are they not getting the best out of the consoles these days? I think the same the end of is true of most PC games too. Look at the Spectrum. The early games for it looked dire but by the end of it's life you wouldn't have believed it was the same system. The coding got better and they were able to get as much out of the system as they could. Nowdays they seem to just wait for the next bump in hardware to keep up with their coding.

I played The Oregon Trail recently on the game archive. A surprisingly deep game and smaller than an email! :eek:

I sometimes download hat appear to be simple games on my phone and they are 50MB plus. What's in there?!?!

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Surprisingly I've never played the first or the second, think it's high time I invested into it. :p

Im playing the second one at the moment, be sure to install the revamped combat, it balances everything out, although not an official update it is created by the Witcher 2 team.

I tried to play the first one but it just didn't hold my interest, and theres not really much of the story you need to know to play the second.

Jackversion9

Bronze Level Poster
Im playing the second one at the moment, be sure to install the revamped combat, it balances everything out, although not an official update it is created by the Witcher 2 team.

I tried to play the first one but it just didn't hold my interest, and theres not really much of the story you need to know to play the second.

Yeah I have heard that you don't need to know much of the story, which is good for me haha. Thanks man, I'll look into it! :D

mishra

Rising Star
I am an always optimist counter :) I simply don't count current day, and I also don't count 19th either. So as it stand now, it's 16th, 17th, 18th to go ... yay only 3 days ^^

Spuff

Expert
Got my hard copy today. Haven't installed it yet and probably won't until I've finished GTAV story which I won't do until I replace my TV for an incoming 32 inch 1440p monitor so I can game from my comfy position. I failed in a re-furnishing experiment.
The hard copy has a pretty map and a booklet of Witcher lore. I've seen Syndicate on Twitch streaming the game since a couple of days ago, but it hasn't really whetted my appetite. I'm hoping my low expectations will make for being pleasantly surprised.

The latest NVIDIA driver brings support for SLI for Witcher, but it's giving me GPU driver failure outages in normal internet use.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I'll try it out when i get home, got the drivers etc installed yesterday.

My Razer Synapse has been giving me grief lately so need to re install that too.

I'll post some first impressions later.