would you change anything to this spec before I buy? thanks :D

hi guys,

anything you would change to this spec? like is the intel 550 ssd worth the extra over an intel 330 ssd?
here is the current spec anyway!
Thanks

Chassis & Display

Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)

4GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)
Graphics Card

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk

120GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 500MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

SONY BC-5550H 4x BLURAY COMBO DRIVE & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader

Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste

STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card

Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless

GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options

3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery

Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor

1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software

NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus

BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Keyboard Language

INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Notebook Mouse

INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam

INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty

3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Dead Pixel Guarantee

30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£12)
Insurance

1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery

STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time

Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Quantity

Price: £835.00 including VAT and delivery.

jusset

The cpu paste and if you are willing go for 1 year pixel guarantee.

Also 8gb ram wouldn't hurt (though you could upgrade this later I guess!)

Yamikotai

Expert
Personally I wouldn't recommend the 1-year pixel guarantee. The vast majority of the time, the screen will come with dead pixels if it's ever going to have them, rather than develop them later on.

However, definitely get the 1-month one to protect you from any that it might come with.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the 1-year pixel guarantee. The vast majority of the time, the screen will come with dead pixels if it's ever going to have them, rather than develop them later on.

However, definitely get the 1-month one to protect you from any that it might come with.
agreed,
in regards to the thermal paste, is the normal stuff they use going to make any difference in reality? also I can get a tube of the arctic they use for around £4.50 and do that myself?
just trying to keep it under £850 :(
in terms of ram , won't 4gb be enough for gaming , considering the GPU has 2GB of vram itself?
Thanks for looking over this guys . is the £5 for 1 year collect and deliver worth it? or is it like the pixels... ie if it goes wrong it will be immediately ?
Thanks

steaky360

You can totally put the paste on yourself however if you made a mistake it wouldn't be covered under your warranty should any issues arise. On the note of the warranty the Silver warranty for a fiver is definitely worth it. If anything does go wrong (and unlike the dead pixel suggestion by Yamikotai it can happen at any time) you're covered for returns for a year! which is definitely worth it in my oppinion (if you have to RMA one thing it'll pay for itself).

8Gb is advisable for gaming but I'd say you'll get away with 4Gb if you're looking to save some cash (especially if you think you will be able to upgrade in the future!).

Also, don't forget, PCS has an upgrade service now too! So if you did find you wanted to upgrade parts of your laptop you could do that through the upgrade service and maintain your warranty status on your new parts :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
For the sake of £5 unless you are confident and experienced,in my opinion, there is no way you should attempt to upgrade the the thermal paste yourself,it's all too easy to screw something up and as mentioned your warranty would be void.

Yamikotai

Expert
Agreed with all of the above, also AS5 is pretty old nowadays. MX-4 is more effective and doesn't require a burn-in period.

I am in no way an expert , but I have built my own desktop from scratch , so am confident with using thermal paste. but like you say , for the sake of £5 it saves me taking it apart. thanks for the reply guys

cool looking at ur desktop I have pretty much the same! , i5 2500k with GTX 560Ti 2gb and HAF 912 plus case :) 8gb ram etc. nice choice on the GPU and CPU lol

Iroquois Pliskin

Enthusiast
is the intel 550 ssd worth the extra over an intel 330 ssd?

Nope, a 550 only brings faster write speeds, which are negligible at SSD level, and 5 year manufacturer's warranty, opposed to 330's 3 years. You may also want to grab a 330 with 180 GB capacity, instead of 120 GB - it's £47 more, which translates to £0.78 per Gigabyte for those additional 60 GBs.