WW1 photos restored in colour - clever stuff.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Crazy stuff, seeing it in colour just brings something else out of the photos.

Very impressive

Androcles

Rising Star
To be honest I prefer these photos in black and white. While I appreciate the work that has gone into coloring them, to me it removes the "value" of the image. To me when they're in black and white it shows the age of the photo and makes it clear to me that it's a historical image, but when you add the colors to it they just make it feel like I don't know, just a modern picture of some guys dressed in old clothes re-enacting something.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
To be honest I prefer these photos in black and white. While I appreciate the work that has gone into coloring them, to me it removes the "value" of the image. To me when they're in black and white it shows the age of the photo and makes it clear to me that it's a historical image, but when you add the colors to it they just make it feel like I don't know, just a modern picture of some guys dressed in old clothes re-enacting something.

I know what you mean - but it does help imagine how it must have 'looked'. I think a lot of the time we forget black and white pictures are actually 'real' (even though they obviously are).

Androcles

Rising Star
I know what you mean - but it does help imagine how it must have 'looked'. I think a lot of the time we forget black and white pictures are actually 'real' (even though they obviously are).

See, it feels the exact opposite to me, when it's colored it feels like it's a staged picture with actors and not the real thing, probably because my brains hardwired to think black and white = old and color = modern. It's not just the difference between b&w and color to me either, I can easily spot the differences in color pallets between a 70's color photo and an 90's color photo, any variance just makes it feel fake to me, I guess I'm kind of odd like that, or it might stem from many years working for Kodak in my tweens.

Last edited:

Androcles

Rising Star
But...everything was in colour in 1914 :) The world wasn't in black and white.

But photographs weren't though, they were either in black and white or various sepia tones, it just feels faked to me if it's not the original format. Not saying they aren't good, because they are very well done and look very good, they just don't feel real to me now.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
But photographs weren't though, they were either in black and white or various sepia tones, it just feels faked to me if it's not the original format. Not saying they aren't good, because they are very well done and look very good, they just don't feel real to me now.

Just the opposite for me, makes them harder hitting for me.

But everyone is different I guess.