Xbox 360 specs in PC form?

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I was wondering how much a PC would cost if it was built using comparable/similar 360 specs?

Obviously PC's are much more powerful, but come with a bigger price tag. Are PCs with 'low/medium' specs comparable to the 360?

Basically I have a Nvidia 560ti and want to be sure that it kicks my 360s ass :winkiss:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'm pretty sure a 560ti will walk all over a 360! a 560ti is awesome card and great value for money.

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure a 560ti will walk all over a 360! a 560ti is awesome card and great value for money.

I'd hope so with the card costing almost as much as a 360 these days haha. I just want to make sure that when Skyrim comes out that all my friends with their 360s and PS3s can see how much better looking it is on PC!

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
XBOX 360 in PC format:

133 mhz Pentium 1
16 mb RAM
ATI Rage 3D
320GB HDD (best bit!)
Windows 95

Think that should cover it

Mattyp

Enthusiast
XBOX 360 in PC format:

133 mhz Pentium 1
16 mb RAM
ATI Rage 3D
320GB HDD (best bit!)
Windows 95

Think that should cover it

Windows 95? Ha.
I have no idea what the ATI rage 3D is...I'm guessing it's old? I guess I can rest assured that my PC will crap all over my 360!
What about the PS3? Does that boast any comparable power to a PC?

Kalisnoir

Super Star
If you had a PC with the same specs as a console, the console would win, the OS of the console doesn't have lots of background programs/services running, what also used to be the case was to do with resolution, but since next gen consoles now run games at 720p and 1080p that's irrelevant.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Short answer: No

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:D

I know its an old one, but it still works!

Well, graphically maybe not, processor wise, deffinately yes, cell processors in PS3 are awesome.

Infact if you compare i7 vs cell, for number crunching its something stupid like cell can do around 250GFlops, i7 is around 50GFlops I think, so in terms of number crunching the cell processor in ps3 will own the i7.

If you then take into account graphics cards, especially those with cuda cores, then thats a different story. CPU wise though in terms of calculations, ps3 owns completely.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
@ Frenchy, but this thread seemed all about the Graphics :)

PS2s powered North Korean Nuclear Subs, so obviously there's something to 'em, but one of the main things left that we can hold on to is the graphics, the graphics I tell you!!! :D

onlynik

Enthusiast
Well, graphically maybe not, processor wise, deffinately yes, cell processors in PS3 are awesome.

Infact if you compare i7 vs cell, for number crunching its something stupid like cell can do around 250GFlops, i7 is around 50GFlops I think, so in terms of number crunching the cell processor in ps3 will own the i7.

If you then take into account graphics cards, especially those with cuda cores, then thats a different story. CPU wise though in terms of calculations, ps3 owns completely.

For the Lattice QCD number crunching they use Nvidia GFX cards

A pdf to read if you want :)

http://iccs.lbl.gov/assets/docs/ICCS_2011_Talks/30 Balint Joo.pdf

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
console developers have also learnt to extract the maximum out of what they have whereas PC hardware changes so quickly they dont get a chance to maximize it to its full potential

i cant remember what card it was equivalent too but comparing the two, the xbox would win because of the different methods used to improve gameplay

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
console developers have also learnt to extract the maximum out of what they have whereas PC hardware changes so quickly they dont get a chance to maximize it to its full potential

i cant remember what card it was equivalent too but comparing the two, the xbox would win because of the different methods used to improve gameplay

Same optimisations are present in both consoles and PC, the difference is that if you have a console of the same spec, the console runs a very limited OS which runs the dashboard and the game and thats it. It doesnt have to run a full OS like windows. Hence why the PS3 runs games great but when it comes to runnign Linux it was a bit slow. Powerful but slow.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i still dont understand why windows havent released a gaming version of windows which is as optimized as possible

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
i still dont understand why windows havent released a gaming version of windows which is as optimized as possible

Because it wouldnt be able to do anything else apart from boot a game, and theres not a big enough market for them to invest the time and money into doing that.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
it wouldnt exactly just boot the game, but it will be a lot more optimized by automatically disabling windows services etc as well as leaving visual effects off

could also be seen as a lite version which requires less to run out of the box

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
it wouldnt exactly just boot the game, but it will be a lot more optimized by automatically disabling windows services etc as well as leaving visual effects off

could also be seen as a lite version which requires less to run out of the box

But its all achievable with the current version by turning services off, their argument is going to be that the services are there for a reason and essentially taking that away is creating a downgraded version of windows (in their eyes) which isnt what they want, plus those who are that interested in extra performance are going to know what thjey need to do themselves.