Xmas present to self

Deklore

Bright Spark
After recently upgrading my rig, i thought id go the whole hog and get a mechanical keyboard (had to be backlit). Went for the Corsair Vengence K70 with the Cherry Red switches. Went for that one due to price, interchangable wasd keys and the simple no-nonsense look.

For me this is a big deal as i was always a believer that a keyboard is a keyboard and why spend that much on one that can do the same job as a £10 one. Well, ive now gone through my 3rd "cheap" keyboard in 4 years and was thinking "why go for cheap again when i just spend so much on a good rig?" so went for quality this time.
Im really looking forward to seeing what you guys have been going on about the difference in feel and quality, although when i get it i will no doubt agree with you all. :)

Has anyone else splashed out on something for themselves this christmas?

bigben

Master Poster
Good choice with the red switches. They feel amazing to type and game on.
Mechanical keyboards are definitely better quality, they weigh a ton!

Has anyone else splashed out on something for themselves this christmas?

I had £30 of John Lewis vouchers from a supplier at work so I bought myself an ipad mini...

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I had £30 of John Lewis vouchers from a supplier at work so I bought myself an ipad mini...

You mean you bought the box for an iPad mini and maybe one or two of the buttons? :)

Nothing wrong with treating yourself once in a while Dek, and Christmas shouldn't stop you :) If anything, it is easier to justify because "well, while I was there/on the site/looking for stuff for me while looking for everyone else's presents" just doesn't work many other times of the year :D

Deklore

Bright Spark
Well keyboard arrived yesterday and all i can say is - Where were you all my life?!?!?!

Joking aside it does feel very different from the normal rubber dome membrane keyboard. I'll be honest, it'll take some time getting used too and adjusting since i use cheap keyboards at work so will never get away from the membrane keyboard. BUT gaming feels superb. The keyboard i got allows the wasd keys to be changed to allow a different tactile feel for gaming so your fingers dont get lost on the keyboard (which mine does) so that helps alot as well.
Also, i know it may be a bit of a geeky thing to do but i had to change the button lights on my G600 mouse to red to match the keyboard :)

Anyway thats me positively skint (but happy). Im actually dreading the Steam Christmas sales. I have no money to buy games at the moment but i also have no willpower to resist. :(

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Glad to see you're liking it Dek :) I find with my reds they're not brilliant to type on compared to rubber keys (probably mainly because of the noise) but for gaming there is no comparison, they feel great. And matching lights aren't geeky, my specific keyboard criteria was it had to have red switches with blue lights which proved to be a very difficult task!

Hope you see a bit of a difference while gaming :) Not necessarily to your skill but just your enjoyment of using the keys!

Stick an SSD on the list next ;) We were right about mechanical keyboards, we'll be right about that too :D

Deklore

Bright Spark
Stick an SSD on the list next ;) We were right about mechanical keyboards, we'll be right about that too :D
LOL thats EXACLY what i was thinking! Its definately my next upgrade i think - wont be for a while, but next on the list.

Yeah damn these membrane keyboards. Theyve given me the habit of bottoming out each keypress, so there will be an adjustment period of trying to type differently. Im not that heavy handed when i type anyway so it shouldnt be too much of a problem adjusting.

Ohh and the media keys with volume control OMG, i dont know how many times ive had to ctrl+alt+del to exit a game in order to adjust the master volume on stuff. No more!

bigben

Master Poster
Glad you're pleased.

Glad to see you're liking it Dek :) I find with my reds they're not brilliant to type on compared to rubber keys (probably mainly because of the noise) but for gaming there is no comparison, they feel great. And matching lights aren't geeky, my specific keyboard criteria was it had to have red switches with blue lights which proved to be a very difficult task!

Hope you see a bit of a difference while gaming :) Not necessarily to your skill but just your enjoyment of using the keys!

Haha red switches and blue leds was on my list of requirements too...
I actually really like typing on the red switches. Using rubber domes just feels really clunky now.

Definitely agree with the SSD as well, you can pick up a 240gb Hyper X upgrade kit for £140 on Amazon