You're not a wizard Harry!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
It's taken 2 years, but it seems my hardware's path of being obsolete starts here. There's a new Harry Potter-themed game, Hogwarts Legacy, out in a few weeks and the specs are pretty beefy.

Capture.JPG

I won't be playing it with 4k Ultra settings, as while I do have the named CPU, I don't have the RAM or GPU to do it.

1080 Ultra for the win? 🤦‍♂️

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I take specs with a pinch of salt these days, so much comes down the actual optimisation of the game

If we can get something that looks as good as Doom Eternal with all the gore physics running in pretty much toasters anything that "requires" really high end hardware screams poor optimisation to me. Sets up a red flag but then again I am pretty cynical

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I take specs with a pinch of salt these days, so much comes down the actual optimisation of the game

If we can get something that looks as good as Doom Eternal with all the gore physics running in pretty much toasters anything that "requires" really high end hardware screams poor optimisation to me. Sets up a red flag but then again I am pretty cynical
I've had a few recent games where it's defaulted to 1440 or even 1080 on my system, before I've had to start tweaking it upwards. Poor optimisation is definitely an issue at the higher levels of games.
3090Ti for 4k? That seems a bit much for a recommended spec. Normally they underplay the requirement not to scare people off 😬
We've found our new Crysis-style PC killer!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
My first gaming GPU was the 3DFX Voodoo2 which had 16mb of vRAM. This blew peoples minds at the time :ROFLMAO:

Intel Pentium II Processor with 350 mega-mega hertz frequency
64MB of the slowest RAM known to man (PC100)
The Voodoo2 with 16MB of awe inspiring 3DFX goodness

It would struggle with a modern minesweeper now.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
My first gaming GPU was the 3DFX Voodoo2 which had 16mb of vRAM. This blew peoples minds at the time :ROFLMAO:

Intel Pentium II Processor with 350 mega-mega hertz frequency
64MB of the slowest RAM known to man (PC100)
The Voodoo2 with 16MB of awe inspiring 3DFX goodness

It would struggle with a modern minesweeper now.
Currently clearing out my bedroom (I'm a bit of a hoarder and my parents are looking to move house this year), and I found the box my first GPU came in. It was a Sapphire Radeon 9550 with a whopping 256MB of DDR Memory.

I think I mostly used it to play GTA San Andreas. Good times. Not particularly wholesome times, but good times nonetheless!

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I dump old stuff quite quickly...otherwise I'd have nowhere to sleep/work.

Once a year the 'cables box' gets pruned, and once a year the 'HDD bin' gets trimmed and stripped for neodymium magnets & slingshot/pistol/shotgun targets (the platters).

CMP01

Enthusiast
Cor... those specs are a bit beefy. Not unexpectedly so for modern AAA games, mind, but maybe for this one. It just doesn't look up to the requirements if I be so honest. There's a good few games of late (and going back at least a couple of years) that are asking for, as base requirements at least, a GTX 1070. But then, tempus fugit. The 1070, while a fine card when I had it, is some 7 years old by now.

Ah, the astonishing march of progress I guess.

Anyway, I won't be getting or playing it myself. Not my cup o' joe, but my gf is certainly, as a huge Potterverse fan, very interested. So, given my role as game tech guy for her, I'd be interested to see the actual review/benchmark for the potential performance for her desktop at least (5600X, RTX 3070, 16Gb 3200MHz, games on a 970 EVO Plus and 3440x1440) She'd be happy enough with less than ultra settings and reasonable fps though, given those specs were as much for her retro/emulation focus and as a hobby PC rather than as a max everything monster.

PS: I too have old bits around. Last time I had a rummage through the horde at my mum's, I saw my old GeForce 5700LE in a box of cables and stuff. I remember that just about managing Rome Total War and Doom 3 alright.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's taken 2 years, but it seems my hardware's path of being obsolete starts here. There's a new Harry Potter-themed game, Hogwarts Legacy, out in a few weeks and the specs are pretty beefy.

View attachment 35779
I won't be playing it with 4k Ultra settings, as while I do have the named CPU, I don't have the RAM or GPU to do it.

1080 Ultra for the win? 🤦‍♂️
That's quite frankly - nuts

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I have no interest in the extended Harry Potter world (I read the books as a child and loved them, but have never seen the films or played any games), but I'm kind of interested in playing the game just to see how it performs...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have no interest in the extended Harry Potter world (I read the books as a child and loved them, but have never seen the films or played any games), but I'm kind of interested in playing the game just to see how it performs...
You need to watch the films, we'll have to block you from the internet until you have.

CMP01

Enthusiast
You need to watch the films, we'll have to block you from the internet until you have.

As mentioned, gf is a huge Potter fan. While not being particularly interested, I had seen bits and pieces given it seems one or the other of the movies was on TV near every weekend for years, it was kind of hard to miss when parents always had at least one TV on.
Anyway, I allowed her to introduce me to the wizarding world etc in a long weekend binge of all the movies and... y'know what? They weren't half bad at all. I mean, I'm already a fantasy, sci-fi, superhero, Star Wars, LOTR kind of guy so fair enough, and HP certainly had the edge over other attempts to make teen fiction movies. I'd say they're worth a go.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
As mentioned, gf is a huge Potter fan. While not being particularly interested, I had seen bits and pieces given it seems one or the other of the movies was on TV near every weekend for years, it was kind of hard to miss when parents always had at least one TV on.
Anyway, I allowed her to introduce me to the wizarding world etc in a long weekend binge of all the movies and... y'know what? They weren't half bad at all. I mean, I'm already a fantasy, sci-fi, superhero, Star Wars, LOTR kind of guy so fair enough, and HP certainly had the edge over other attempts to make teen fiction movies. I'd say they're worth a go.
The only thing I've watched on my TV so far this year is rugby, but maybe I'll try one of them... I'm a bit contrary and difficult when it comes to films!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Anyway, I won't be getting or playing it myself. Not my cup o' joe, but my gf is certainly, as a huge Potterverse fan, very interested. So, given my role as game tech guy for her, I'd be interested to see the actual review/benchmark for the potential performance for her desktop at least (5600X, RTX 3070, 16Gb 3200MHz, games on a 970 EVO Plus and 3440x1440) She'd be happy enough with less than ultra settings and reasonable fps though, given those specs were as much for her retro/emulation focus and as a hobby PC rather than as a max everything monster.
I'm on the older end of original Harry Potter fans as I was in sixth form and then at uni when the real hype began to kick in with the movies, but have always wanted better games from the series. The movie tie-ins are mostly a bit pants (no real surprise there!), and sadly the most satisfying gameplay Potter-wise has probably come from the Lego Harry Potter games.

If I'm determined to play the game with all the Ultra settings (I'm not!), then it looks like I'll be playing the game at 1080 (I won't be doing that!), but by scaling things up, I suspect the settings I can play at will be something along the lines of High at 1440 and Medium at 4k. I'll probably give both of those a go and see which feels/looks better. I'm not one to hunt every last possible FPS, but will be looking for what feels decent and just run with that.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
I'm the other way around. I read a couple of the books, but they seemed a bit too much Enid Blytons Famous 5, with magic thrown in. I've watched all the films though, and enjoyed them.
I'll look more at the game, it might be my kind of game.