You're not a wizard Harry!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
When I first loaded up the game, it recommended 4k Ultra with the DLSS Quality setting. I was aware of some micro stuttering going into and out of cutscenes and the first area of the game was occasionally stuttering. The first area is fairly empty with not a lot going on as you're being fed information about the setting, so I was aware that the game would only get worse in that respect. I lowered the setting to High and kept DLSS where it was, and only really notice a tiny bit of stutter when opening doors that move between busy areas, and the rest of the game feels fairly smooth. I'm happy enough with that kind of performance, but I'm not overly surprised to see the following.

I noticed the first time that I ran Resident Evil Village wiht my 3080 that 4k Ultra settings was using up nearly 8Gb of VRAM, and mentioned on here that I didn't think it'd be too long before 10Gb was going to be insufficient for newer games at these kinds of settings. We're very much at the point where even High settings without DLSS is using up that much VRAM!

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
My 3070TI gets hammered at 4K Ultra according to those benchmarks, the smaller VRAM size means it only does 5 fps! 3060 actually outperforms it. At medium 4K it manages 56 FPS, but 1440p is probably it's sweet spot. Not that I'll be playing this game, :p

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That's just wasteful optimisation IMO. It'll be time consuming to optimise the vRAM usage, so it'll no doubt be looked at over time.

It's a laughably system crushing game though isn't it.

How are the visuals @ActuallyDenz? Is it breath taking at 4k with RT on?.... or are you pausing the screen to see if you can pick out differences?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I tried mine with ray tracing on ultra and no DLSS (on a 3080Ti) and I quickly switched back to no ray tracing and DLSS Quality to give me my 100+ FPS*

Some of the spider battles (with 12 enemies) were going down to 5 seconds per frame*...but even just running around the countryside was about 30FPS*.

To be fair, I can't really tell the difference with RT on or off, so it's staying off (until I can afford an RTX9090Ti).

* can't say for sure as my Nvidia performance overlay seems to have stopped working about the same time I installed the game

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
That's just wasteful optimisation IMO. It'll be time consuming to optimise the vRAM usage, so it'll no doubt be looked at over time.

It's a laughably system crushing game though isn't it.

How are the visuals @ActuallyDenz? Is it breath taking at 4k with RT on?.... or are you pausing the screen to see if you can pick out differences?
I've not even tried RT on yet. I suspect if I tried it with RT on, I'd probably need to have everything on low settings to keep it running happily. I'm not really into optimisation micromanagement, so I'll typically just find some settings that I like the feel of and run with it. As @TonyCarter says, you'd probably need to wait a few generations to play it 4k Ultra with full RT on.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
HU multi-GPU, multi-resolution, multi-preset bencharks...

1440p RT Ultra performance (mine will be a bit lower due to ultra-wide 1440p)
2023-02-10_11-50-59.jpg

Looks like something isn't working correctly, no?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
HU multi-GPU, multi-resolution, multi-preset bencharks...

1440p RT Ultra performance (mine will be a bit lower due to ultra-wide 1440p)
View attachment 35966

Looks like something isn't working correctly, no?

That's the vid we were discussing :D

It's vRAM that's the issue. Needs 16GB to run at high res or quality settings. It's bonkers.

I always hate when manufacturers rapidly increase storage/RAM potential, it makes devs wasteful with the resources when it comes to optimisation. Some of the ingenuity over the years to over-come hardware limitations have been epic, we've gone 180 now where the hardware needs to take up the slack for lazy/rushed development.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I always hate when manufacturers rapidly increase storage/RAM potential, it makes devs wasteful with the resources when it comes to optimisation. Some of the ingenuity over the years to over-come hardware limitations have been epic, we've gone 180 now where the hardware needs to take up the slack for lazy/rushed development.
Silent Hill's use of fog to get around the PS1's draw distance in 3D environments is probably my favourite example of ingenuity to overcome a limitation.

stegor

Bright Spark
32GB of RAM and 16GB of VRAM for 1440p? That's just bonkers. Probably 80% of PCs out there won't be able to play it (at least at that resolution and decent settings). Mine won't.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
32GB of RAM and 16GB of VRAM for 1440p? That's just bonkers. Probably 80% of PCs out there won't be able to play it (at least at that resolution and decent settings).
Nope, I'm short by 4GB of VRAM - and am ultrawide 1440p, so looks like either keep DLSS on and RT off, or reduce the quality a bit.

My first gaming GPU was the 3DFX Voodoo2 which had 16mb of vRAM. This blew peoples minds at the time :ROFLMAO:

Intel Pentium II Processor with 350 mega-mega hertz frequency
64MB of the slowest RAM known to man (PC100)
The Voodoo2 with 16MB of awe inspiring 3DFX goodness

It would struggle with a modern minesweeper now.
I am prolly a bit older. I remember the 1st pc i bought was a 486 dx/66 with a whopping 8 meg of ram, and a realtek gfx card 512k. It was actually state of the art at the time. Played X-wing on it (what a great game that was) 1992 i think that was

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Xwing was amazing!!!
Such a great time for Lucasarts, that era. That game and TIE Fighter were both brilliant. Really stressful as pretty much every single key on your keyboard was used for a command, nothing was dumbed down. But once you got the hang of it, it was rollicking good fun.

I really should fire up that free copy of Star Wars Squadrons that we all got free on Epic a while ago and see how its space combat compares.