How fast is your internet according to Speed Test?

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
A few =) I'm in student central North Hill - Plymouth, surprisingly there is no saturation at all, this is 24hr speeds. I thought I'd connect to somewhere less close than Bristol to test the validity and it remains high.

PokerFace

Banned
A few =) I'm in student central North Hill - Plymouth, surprisingly there is no saturation at all, this is 24hr speeds. I thought I'd connect to somewhere less close than Bristol to test the validity and it remains high.

Lucky you :)

The worst thing about ISPs is their ability to say "up to xMb/s". They should at least be made to state a minimum. I phoned Sky and asked what the minimum I would get if I signed up to fibre and all they said was "it depends".

What happens if I sign up for an 18 month contract at "up to 36Mb/s (for example) and I get 1Mb/s? In theory, they have provided what they promised. Does anyone know what would happen in this case?

Rakk

The Awesome
The worst thing about ISPs is their ability to say "up to xMb/s". They should at least be made to state a minimum. I phoned Sky and asked what the minimum I would get if I signed up to fibre and all they said was "it depends".
See thats why I quite like Virgin Media cable connections, you generally do get their stated speeds (give or take a few meg).

What happens if I sign up for an 18 month contract at "up to 36Mb/s (for example) and I get 1Mb/s? In theory, they have provided what they promised. Does anyone know what would happen in this case?
I think its exactly that, they say 'upto', they don't say you will get however much, so they would not therefore be breaking any contracts.

Though admittedly many years ago, my housemate and myself got out of a 12 month contract with BT (when we moved out), but this was only cos we made many many complaints to BT about the diabolical connection stability over about 5 years - it was so bad that turning the dimmer switch on in the main room of the house often added enough noise to kill the connection completely, and therefore when they tried to get us to pay the remaining contract, threats about contacting OFCOM (or whoever it is) were made about not providing even a vaguely half reliable service that there were charging us full price for (there was no cable option there, and it was the state of the phone line so another provider wouldn't have helped) - but that was mainly because the connection wasn't even stable - it had nothing to do with the speed (that was really slow as well)

Last edited:

PokerFace

Banned
See thats why I quite like Virgin Media cable connections, you generally do get their stated speeds (give or take a few meg).

Unfortunately, there's no Virgin cable in my street and to make it worse, they keep shoving Virgin broadband junk mail through my letterbox! I think I'll write to Richard :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Not bad for a 60 meg package I guess, better upload would always be nice though. Getting a free upgrade to 100Mbps at some point too, hopefully by the end of the year.

3630232793.png

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
New connection at work (the green box is about 50 feet from the server room). Just testing it out at the moment, so only a couple of us on it.

3630324887.png

Androcles

Rising Star
Unfortunately, there's no Virgin cable in my street and to make it worse, they keep shoving Virgin broadband junk mail through my letterbox! I think I'll write to Richard :)

Richard doesn't own Virgin Media any more, he sold it to Liberty Global and made a sweet £200mil out of it.

Rakk

The Awesome
Well if it makes you feel any better, I am with Virgin Media and get all the normal unaddressed junk mail and a whole load of stuff from them that is addressed to me as well!

Androcles

Rising Star
Well if it makes you feel any better, I am with Virgin Media and get all the normal unaddressed junk mail and a whole load of stuff from them that is addressed to me as well!

This is something that annoys the heck out of me with Virgin, once you have an account they forget you're a customer until it's bill time, been with them years and I still get on a daily basis leaflets to sign up for virgin as a new customer, I also get regular visits (two or three times a month) from their sales guys trying to get me to sign up and they get all hissy when I tell them I'm already a customer, one of them has been back four times despite being told I already have virgin, he keeps trying to get me to end my current virgin account and sign up with him to "get it cheaper" yeah right, for the first three months maybe, I'm pretty sure he's not supposed to be doing that, miught report him one day and see what happens.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
This is something that annoys the heck out of me with Virgin, once you have an account they forget you're a customer until it's bill time, been with them years and I still get on a daily basis leaflets to sign up for virgin as a new customer, I also get regular visits (two or three times a month) from their sales guys trying to get me to sign up and they get all hissy when I tell them I'm already a customer, one of them has been back four times despite being told I already have virgin, he keeps trying to get me to end my current virgin account and sign up with him to "get it cheaper" yeah right, for the first three months maybe, I'm pretty sure he's not supposed to be doing that, miught report him one day and see what happens.

Wow that's strange, we never get that. We'd be lucky to get a leaflet once a month and the last one I looked at was for their TV package which we don't have.

Rakk

The Awesome
Wow that's strange, we never get that. We'd be lucky to get a leaflet once a month and the last one I looked at was for their TV package which we don't have.
Yeah, I never get them visiting or phoning, I just keep getting ads for their 'Big Kuhuna bundle', about once a week I think

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Yeah, I never get them visiting or phoning, I just keep getting ads for their 'Big Kuhuna bundle', about once a week I think

Kahuna? I got that one just cos it made reference to one of my favourite movies :)

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
I wish Virgin Media would take the levy off their upload.... I hate being capped at 12mb. I'm not into the whole peer to peer and what not, but I stream and as my beautiful PCS PC can handle 1440p I want to stream 1080/1152p in ultra detail ... alas my bandwidth and... upload limit (2.5gig in an hour) poop me out.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I wish Virgin Media would take the levy off their upload.... I hate being capped at 12mb. I'm not into the whole peer to peer and what not, but I stream and as my beautiful PCS PC can handle 1440p I want to stream 1080/1152p in ultra detail ... alas my bandwidth and... upload limit (2.5gig in an hour) poop me out.

They do offer an upgrade if you ring them, but you will then be capped more on your download speed. But that shouldn't be an issue with the speed you are getting xD

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
They do offer an upgrade if you ring them, but you will then be capped more on your download speed. But that shouldn't be an issue with the speed you are getting xD

Are you sure!?!, I've not heard of this before. Every time I've approached in the past I've been shrugged off saying the limits are the limits, unless I go in for a buisness line (which I never will).

I'll give them a ring this evening when I've finished work... if I get a positive answer then I'll owe you a few pints!