How fast is your internet according to Speed Test?

Alberto96

Do you want to see something really bad?

See this speedtest from Italy (ADSL):

3559885738.png

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I'm beginning to hate Sky :(

How the hell has my download speed almost halved, yet the upload and ping has improved :confused:
I have the same set up,my speed improved by 2.5Mbps after hassling Sky for a few weeks.You can check the download speed Sky is delivering to your Hub to see if it might be an issue on your side or possibly a faulty BT line like I had.
http://192.168.0.1/sky_router_status.html
user name admin
password sky
If the "DownStream Connection Speed" is showing lower than you think it should be,get on the blower to sky and tell them it's not good enough, 0844 824 5450
in most cases they can improve on it.
Some of the Sky reps are more helpful than others so persevere until you get a result.

Last edited:

PokerFace

Banned
Now, is it Sky you hate, or BT?
Since Sky use BT's lines, it may actually be BT causing the slow down and not Sky.

I'm quite happy to hate both companies to be honest :)

I have the same set up,my speed improved by 2.5Mbps after hassling Sky for a few weeks.You can check the download speed Sky is delivering to your Hub to see if it might be an issue on your side or possibly a faulty BT line like I had.
http://192.168.0.1/sky_router_status.html
user name admin
password sky
If the "DownStream Connection Speed" is showing lower than you think it should be,get on the blower to sky and tell them it's not good enough, 0844 824 5450
in most cases they can improve on it.
Some of the Sky reps are more helpful than others so persevere until you get a result.

Thanks vanthus, I will give them a ring this week I think. I checked the DL speed in the router settings as you suggested and it was showing as around 2.5Mb/s versus the 2.2 of the Speedtest result. I believe the difference might be to do with the cabling in the house. But the fact it's dropped by about 30% certainly needs investigating :detective:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Thanks vanthus, I will give them a ring this week I think. I checked the DL speed in the router settings as you suggested and it was showing as around 2.5Mb/s versus the 2.2 of the Speedtest result. I believe the difference might be to do with the cabling in the house. But the fact it's dropped by about 30% certainly needs investigating :detective:
It's normal to have a small drop between router and speed tests,mine actually drops from arouhd 8.5 to 7.5,which seems a bit much,especially for a 2m Cat 5.e ethernet connection.
In your case though the speed supplied by Sky has obviously dropped quite a bit from what you had,make this plain to the sky rep as it may save the hassle of repeatedly going through their trouble shooting steps,which they made me do every time I phoned them before one of them did some kind of optimisation which gave me another 2 to 3Mb/s.
Even another 2Mb/s in your case could make a big difference,especally for streaming video.
If they can't or won't deliver this,might be worth considering changing your ISP,but keep in mind it might depend on the speeds available in your area,you can compare what speed others near you are getting if you punch in your post code here.
http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/streetstats/

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Thats a handy tool Vanthus. Had a look at my area. Annoyingly, someone a few doors up the street seems to get 19.8mb down and 6.83mb up from Sky. We are also with Sky and get 7.06 down and 1.09 up! lol How's that work?

I'm not the bill payer, So there is nothing I can do about it. Otherwise I'd give Sky a bell and have a good old whinge.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Thing is those download speeds are based on online speed tests and not download speed supplied by Sky far as I know,so all sorts of things could affect that like your internal wiring,whether your router is connected to master socket,wireless or wired,etc etc,and also some people in your area might have cable if it's available in your area.

PokerFace

Banned
Thats a handy tool Vanthus. Had a look at my area. Annoyingly, someone a few doors up the street seems to get 19.8mb down and 6.83mb up from Sky. We are also with Sky and get 7.06 down and 1.09 up! lol How's that work?

I'm not the bill payer, So there is nothing I can do about it. Otherwise I'd give Sky a bell and have a good old whinge.

I agree, it's a handy/interesting tool (so thanks vanthus). I guess it's a bit of ammo if Sky try telling me that I'm too far from the exchange or something.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Just re-installing COH 2, which means I have re-download the whole game.

Time Remaining - One day.

oh for god sake man its only 10gig!

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Just bought Wolfenstein and it's a 40.7gb download! I only download at 0.5MB/s, so it's going to take 28 hours!!!

The compression of the game only reduces it by 7GB, that's pathetic!