Renting a house.

steaky360

You should 100% stipulate that you want the garden to be cleaned up and in a state suitable to move in. Otherwise ensure you take sufficient photo's etc. of the state it is in when you arrive so you know what state you can leave it in when you go.

I'm pretty sure they'll just get a gardener to come sort it out though.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
You should 100% stipulate that you want the garden to be cleaned up and in a state suitable to move in. Otherwise ensure you take sufficient photo's etc. of the state it is in when you arrive so you know what state you can leave it in when you go.

I'm pretty sure they'll just get a gardener to come sort it out though.

Thanks for the reply. The missus called them up today, the usual lass she who deals with us was off. So she spoke to some moron that clearly didn't have a clue. This moron said that "a handyman/inspector is going around tomorrow, to check for damages and if there is a problem, he might clean it up". Now the missus is pretty head strong and good with dealing with useless people, basically told her that we are not signing for the keys unless the handyman actually cleans up the dog mess. I'm doubting he will tbh, why would he clean up someone else's dog muck? So the plan is to call the estate agent again tomorrow afternoon, explain that we are going to check after working hours and if its not spotless they need to contact the landlord and have it cleaned professionally.

Another issue we have, the moron said that we have to sign the contract and inventory before we've even been in the house. lol, erm not gonna happen.

steaky360

I think that's pretty standard actually, but I wouldn't sign the inventory as agreed, or at least I'd write 'not checked' next to the signature. I usually take the inventory and 'annotate it' then scan and send it back ensuring I follow it up with a phone call to make sure its gotten there ok.

Signing the contract before you go in is standard though, the inventory should detail the condition of the rooms and any supplied furniture etc. also. Is it a furnished place? If so, ensure you take photos of EVERYTHING (like literally everything) as it is when you get there. That makes it so much easier to put everything back when you leave (and purchase any lost teaspoons etc.)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
well we've got the keys now! Spent the majority of the day cleaning it! The landlord did offer to have it cleaned, but we need to be in this weekend. So i agreed to do it ourselves.

We did find the bath plumbing is partially blocked though, as the previous tenants have been washing their dogs in the bath... lol looks like we are going to need a plumber and someone is going to lose their deposit.

but so far, so good. Gonna call plusnet on Monday and get fibre BB sorted. :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
well we've got the keys now! Spent the majority of the day cleaning it! The landlord did offer to have it cleaned, but we need to be in this weekend. So i agreed to do it ourselves.

We did find the bath plumbing is partially blocked though, as the previous tenants have been washing their dogs in the bath... lol looks like we are going to need a plumber and someone is going to lose their deposit.

but so far, so good. Gonna call plusnet on Monday and get fibre BB sorted. :)

If you done it you should get some money back.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Yeah, you have to be a bit careful with it, but it does the trick. I'd offer to be the above poster's guinea pig, but I fear I have enough hair no longer.

similar situation here, maybe we can join together and provide 1 full head of hair between us.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Well we got setup ok. Gotta wait till the 11th for fibre internet thou. Plusnet wanted 80quid just to "reactivate" our line. Wasnt a chance i was gonna pay tht. Called sky to see if thy could compete with the £3.99 fibre offer from plusnet. Lol managed to get unlimted sky fibre for 24 pm and totally free sky tv family bundle for a year! Win

Derwan

May be I missed something, but tom_gr7 - did you manage to rent a 3-4 bed semi for around 600? I'm looking for something similar in my area.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
North is OK for us now. What min. budget should I allot for a 2 bedroom appartment?

I live in a reasonably sized, city center, two bedroom apartment with one en-suite and decent sized living area/open plan kitchen. Also comes with a balcony and a great view. It costs us £725pm! ...and I live in the North East!