Renting a house.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
thanks for the info chaps. We get 7.04Mbps where we are now, which is about 0.83MB I think. So if we could get 38MB through Infinity it will be a big speed increase. Although, I notice that all fiber contracts are at least 18months, and we only plan on renting for 12months. Therefore does anyone know if you can transfer your Internet/phone contract to a different property?

Not sure if the current owners have a landline/broadband setup, so will probably have to wait till we get into the property.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Superfast coverage has been one of the criteria I have been using when thinking about where to live. It is an oddity really that Cornwall got it so early, and not sure I can cope without it now...does rather restrict you still though while they roll it out slowly :)

Androcles

Rising Star
The only thing I would be wary of if you do transfer is whether the speeds at the new location are anywhere near the current location, would be gutting to have fast internet for a year then move and be stuck with close to dial up speeds for the last 6 months lol

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Thanks again for the info chaps.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know anything about water meters? Just realised this place has one fitted.

adidan

Bronze Level Poster

On a slightly different note, does anyone know anything about water meters? Just realised this place has one fitted.
What do you need to know? We have one, you pay for the water you use, works out cheaper than the old water rates unless you're a big family who leave taps running.

It's like pretty much everything else, just a DD every month.

Rakk

The Awesome

Some places have meters, some don't, if it doesn't have a meter you will be charged rates dependent on the house size I think, meters are charged on what you actually use.
I know for me (as a single person in a 2-bed terrace), a meter means I pay less than half what I would be paying if I was paying rates.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
What do you need to know? We have one, you pay for the water you use, works out cheaper than the old water rates unless you're a big family who leave taps running.

It's like pretty much everything else, just a DD every month.

Some places have meters, some don't, if it doesn't have a meter you will be charged rates dependent on the house size I think, meters are charged on what you actually use.
I know for me (as a single person in a 2-bed terrace), a meter means I pay less than half what I would be paying if I was paying rates.

ah i see, thanks for the info :)

Can't wait to get in and settled lol.

I'm making an spread sheet with all my costs on it, so i can hopefully figure out much we can realistically save.

oh, anyone think I've missed anything from the following bills, Rent, council tax, gas+electric, water, tv license, broadband+phone, contents insurance. - Not planning to get sky tv or anything like that.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
oh, anyone think I've missed anything from the following bills, Rent, council tax, gas+electric, water, tv license, broadband+phone, contents insurance, Steam purchases.

Fixed :) (pretty sure the last one is higher than bb and utilities put together :D )

Rakk

The Awesome
oh, anyone think I've missed anything from the following bills, Rent, council tax, gas+electric, water, tv license, broadband+phone, contents insurance. - Not planning to get sky tv or anything like that.

If you have a car (or motorbike) then don't forget car tax, car insurance, car anything else.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If you have a car (or motorbike) then don't forget car tax, car insurance, car anything else.

"Car anything else" is a big one, very unpredictable and often comes when you need it least.

Groceries? Might be the biggest one you missed out, if your counting that in the 'bills' list that is.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
thanks again for the replies guys.

N yes I've factored in food and my car. I'm going to have a 60mile round trip to work and back, in a petrol 2ltr 4wd drive Subaru, so i expect that will cost me a few quid a week. lol Will be putting money aside for the tax, insurance, repairs and upgrades.

Me n the missus will be splitting everything 50/50, so it shouldn't be too bad that way.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
lol got another question.

The missus popped down today and noticed the state of the back garden, the previous tenants have left dog muck all over the gravel and grass. We are due to get the keys this Saturday and the estate agents are "inspecting" on Friday. I was thinking of calling up the agent tomorrow and letting her know and explaining that we want it cleaned up before we get the keys. However, It does seem a bit odd they are only inspecting a day before we get the keys, any issues would mean we dont get the keys until the house gets cleaned properly.

Anyone any suggestions?