Renting a house.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
It could be someone has don't it up and went over budget and tried to get a bit more than market rate for it, possible due to an overspend on something they didn't see coming (like a new roof) and then just caved in and rented it out to cover the mortgage and let the price rise for a few years before selling. All depends on how many buyers the area has, some areas are just rental areas because people rely on housing benefit etc.

However the landlord is free to market the property for sale while you are tenants, nothing you can do about it. Though whoever bought it would have to honour your tenancy agreement, thus putting off anyone looking for a residential property. So you wont have Bob and Jane coming round to view your home, you might get some 'investors' looking at the outside of it aiming to take on the property as an investment.

thanks for the reply Mantadog, you seem to know your stuff.

If he's worried about previous tenants having copies of the keys and is happy for the landlord to have a copy then he shouldn't really be that worried at all, most landloirds will automatically change the locks on a property after it is vacated for exactly the same reasons.

Hi Androcles, yeah we are a little concerned that the previous tenants may have made copies. But also, there are plenty of horror stories of landlords letting themselves into the house, or giving workmen the keys who also let themselves in. So we are probably going to change the barrels and not say anything, unless someone asks or notices.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
thanks for the reply Mantadog, you seem to know your stuff.

Just spent some time looking into buying some rental properties with my father, some of which were already tenanted. Also spent FAR too long with a solicitor recently trying to sort out a commercial property lease, but the danger is always the things you don't know you don't know. So as always, do your own due diligence :p

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Just spent some time looking into buying some rental properties with my father, some of which were already tenanted. Also spent FAR too long with a solicitor recently trying to sort out a commercial property lease, but the danger is always the things you don't know you don't know. So as always, do your own due diligence :p

oh i see. So far, I'm finding it pretty stressful. All the properties we fancy are no longer available. Which is a bit of shame, but i guess you could say "it wasn't meant to happen". Although, we've found a few more we are interested in, so fingers crossed it all goes ok.

But it's a cheap area around here, we are now looking at a new build 3 bed terrace for less than 600pcm. So We can't complain really.

bigben

Master Poster
Maybe I need to move up north!
When my mother threatened to kick me out last year I was looking at flat shares and for a half decent one you'd be looking at £400/month + bills.

I wouldn't have thought any reasonable landlords would object to you getting the locks changed, especially if you got them keyed alike (all of the doors on the same key).

Out of interest, why do you need a 3 bed? If it's only temporary couldn't you save an extra £50/month and just go for a 2 bed?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Surely it is just maths. There is a spare bed for when she kicks him out of their bed, and there is another spare bed for when he kicks her out of their bed. Rather simple when you think about it...

steaky360

Out of interest, why do you need a 3 bed? If it's only temporary couldn't you save an extra £50/month and just go for a 2 bed?

Not that I can speak for Tom (honest... I'm not living with him).

But me and the missus went for a 3 bed when we bought mostly because it would give us a spare room that wouldn't be a spare 'bedroom' so to speak. Fortunately we also found a place with a garage and stuff which is always nice. The whole price thing is irritating because technically I still live in the North East, just not the North East of England ;)

steaky360

The North East of the North East? Surely at that point they just give you money to move in? :D

Haha, North East Scotland ;) Alas no, you start needing to harvest bodily organs at regular intervals to afford rental payments. Although admittedly its not as bad as down South of England.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Haha, North East Scotland ;) Alas no, you start needing to harvest bodily organs at regular intervals to afford rental payments. Although admittedly its not as bad as down South of England.

Yeah could be worse, I'm in the same area. I really cant be bothered renting so i'm buying a fixer-upper (hopefully) negating the need sell a kidney.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Although admittedly its not as bad as down South of England.

Definitely not as bad, I am struggling with my new job which requires commuting for around an hour and a half each way. Buying a studio flat close to work will cost me around £240 000 renting around £1200 a month

steaky360

Definitely not as bad, I am struggling with my new job which requires commuting for around an hour and a half each way. Buying a studio flat close to work will cost me around £240 000 renting around £1200 a month

I recall wandering about the Olympia (Kensington) area of London when I was down for the GBBF seeing flats for £1200 pcw. Didn't notice it at first and was thinking, wow that's not bad for London... but then noticed the pcw!!! Outrageous!

I absolutely don't envy your commute though.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
well, we could rent a cheapy 2 bed in a rough area for 400-450 easily. However, we'd rather pay a bit more for a nicer/quieter area, away from the scruffy kids/teenagers/drunks that live around here oh and we'd like somewhere relatively safe to park our cars. As for the 3 beds, well, one for us and a spare for when family stay over n what not. The third will be my Office/gaming room/man cave :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
One and a half hour commute each way, no thanks. Though I have been spoiled in that regard, having never had much longer than a 15 minute commute.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
One and a half hour commute each way, no thanks. Though I have been spoiled in that regard, having never had much longer than a 15 minute commute.

lol wish i had a 15minute commute to work. I'm looking at a 60mile round trip to work and back. Which is leading to a few disagreements with the missus, as she chooses places which are further from my work place. Annoyingly, properties that i find in nice quiet villages, that happen to be a bit closer to both our jobs, she doesn't like and whinges and picks any negatives she spots. Such as "i don't like the red carpet" or "the bedrooms look small".

On the topic of the carpets, presumably, with the landlords permission we could change them? I doubt we could request the landlord change the carpets before we move in?

steaky360

I doubt we could request the landlord change the carpets before we move in?

I'm sure you can request whatever you want!! They might just say no. I'd imagine however that if you're going to put new carpets in then they'd need to give you their permission. If I were you, bank that cash and don't upgrade the rental property in any way shape or form if you can help it. Save for your deposit quicker and buy your own place :)

But who am I to suggest such madness ;)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
On the topic of the carpets, presumably, with the landlords permission we could change them? I doubt we could request the landlord change the carpets before we move in?

So you want to do home improvements for a house that doesn't belong to you? Unless the carpet is pretty rubbish or smells after a good clean I wouldn't bother replacing it. You could request your landlord to do it if it is in a bad state

Rakk

The Awesome
If I were you, bank that cash and don't upgrade the rental property in any way shape or form if you can help it.
I agree with this.
For a start, you may replace the carpet and then your landlord may want you out when your fixed-term contract runs out - if its not fixed term then whenever they are allowed. One house I moved into to rent, the landlord decided they were going to sell the house so wanted me out when the first year was finished (all done legally, the landlord can easily stop renting out the place once the contract is up).

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
As others have said, why spend money on a rental property, especially if you plan to buy one day? I admit I don't really see the big deal with décor, a carpet is a carpet, if the bath holds water its a bath. I'm sure the landlord would have no issues with you upgrading the carpet so long as it was of decent quality, after all you are upgrading their investment...

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'm sure you can request whatever you want!! They might just say no. I'd imagine however that if you're going to put new carpets in then they'd need to give you their permission. If I were you, bank that cash and don't upgrade the rental property in any way shape or form if you can help it. Save for your deposit quicker and buy your own place :)

But who am I to suggest such madness ;)

So you want to do home improvements for a house that doesn't belong to you? Unless the carpet is pretty rubbish or smells after a good clean I wouldn't bother replacing it. You could request your landlord to do it if it is in a bad state

I agree with this.
For a start, you may replace the carpet and then your landlord may want you out when your fixed-term contract runs out - if its not fixed term then whenever they are allowed. One house I moved into to rent, the landlord decided they were going to sell the house so wanted me out when the first year was finished (all done legally, the landlord can easily stop renting out the place once the contract is up).

As others have said, why spend money on a rental property, especially if you plan to buy one day? I admit I don't really see the big deal with décor, a carpet is a carpet, if the bath holds water its a bath. I'm sure the landlord would have no issues with you upgrading the carpet so long as it was of decent quality, after all you are upgrading their investment...

hmm yeah good point guys, will keep the cash.

but yeah its a carpet to me, as long as its not minging im not bothered, but she is. Said something about our furniture wont match a red carpet.