It Hurts

BAD SANTA

Omfg does anybody else get this, so I laid over £2000 for my new pc about 2 or 3 months ago and now all the latest SB stuff is out and newer graphics and that and it's so painful it hurts I mean I know my rig is still the nuts but it's already outdated and it's killing me. I am seriously considering my next purchase already but I just can't justify burning more cash and it being outdated in another 6 months.
How often do you guys upgrade?

O and lotto numbers please :).

JSG10

Expert
Yeah I know what you mean. I've not even paid for mine yet as I got it on finance and already I want to return it and get a new spec! Those Sandy Bridge CPUs seem to blow everything out the water as do the rather tasty GTX570 and 580s! I want them not these rubbish (ok they're not actually rubbish) X4 970 and GTX470. Boo :(

Sleinous

Author Level
This would be why I sold my 470 and bought a 580SC, soo to be "stepped-up" to a GTX 590/595/585 dual GPU (whatever it is going to be called) that EVGA showed us :p

evga_gtx590_gemini.jpg

Gorman

Author Level
Keeping up with the Jones' in this industry will simply bankrupt you and fast.

With the average card lasting around 6 months if it is lucky before it is outdone, it is insanity to try and keep up at £300-500 a pop.

Best thing to do is to have a clear upgrade path and limit the changes to when you actually need to upgrade that is when a game or program fails to perform well.

If you upgrade when you need to rather than when you want to your mind and wallet will both be happier.

Sleinous

Author Level
=P Agreed, however upgrading to the GTX 500 dual-GPU is a no-brainer in this case as EVGA has already admitted it will be virtually teh same price as the GTX 580 that I already have. In releases in 2 months, step-up starts for 90days from Date of Purchase, so I will be within the timeframe. The additional say 20-40 euros I can cover with my free EVGA bucks (euros) :p

Gorman

Author Level
=P Agreed, however upgrading to the GTX 500 dual-GPU is a no-brainer

You are not wrong, show me one dual gpu card that was anything but a problematic bag of spanners which was released for the sole purpose of taking the performance crown in short 4 minute benchmarking intervals and i will show you a figment of your imagination.

Always better off with a single gpu card.

Sleinous

Author Level
No not in my case :) I will be using it for folding, even if it is based on 2x 560s or 2x 570s severely downclocked, a dual-gpu 590 or w.e. they decide to call it will hammer the 17K PPD I get from the 580SC at the moment :)

Also, the old dual-GPU myth about them being so crap is just hurtful to them lol. They're really not that bad...

BAD SANTA

My 5970 is great, no problems with it at all although I think that you get more from separate cards in xfire or sli.

Sleinous

Author Level
I thought I read somewhere that the scaling is better on 2 chips on same PCB? Mmm maybe it was other way round :/

BAD SANTA

I think it is the other way round but I could be wrong I know that 2x5870 is more powerful than a 5970 even if you overclock it. you can push the 2 5870 faster I don't know how nvidia works though probably the same as ati.

Sleinous

Author Level
I meant, if you took the two chips on the 5970 out and put them in xfire. Im pretty sure that when both chips are on the same PCB they scale better, as for the time being, even 2 of these GPUs can only just max out a x16 lane's worth of bandwidth.

Yes the 2x 5870 beat the 5970 easily because the 5970 has 5850s in it, and even those are downclocked.

Gorman

Author Level
Also, the old dual-GPU myth about them being so crap is just hurtful to them lol. They're really not that bad...

Myth?

If you are into folding get two seperate cards of the same spec as the individual gpu, guaranteed to give better ppd than a cut down version on a dual gpu card. Example, 5970 = 2 x 5870 downclocked to around 5850 speeds. Not as good as two 5870's and you also miss out the vram.

7950 GX2
3870 X2
9800 GX2
4870 X2
GTX 295

All cards i would not even wish on you slenious.

Having supported, owned and or worked with all of these little bags of double trouble, i can tell you flatly it is no myth. Having one GPU per card skips crossfire / SLI and leads to less problems.

BAD SANTA

What problems have you guys seen with 5970 and other duel gpu cards because I haven't had any problems with my one?
Now you have me wondering what can go wrong.

BAD SANTA

Yer I want that card to but hopefully they will make a rog 6990, mmmm
No it is 2x5870 overclocked with a special cooler with copper pipes and huge fan
On one board and even then you can push the overclock further as the cooling is so good. Apparently it is huge though.

Tom DWC

What problems have you guys seen with 5970 and other dual GPU cards because I haven't had any problems with my one? Now you have me wondering what can go wrong.

In general a single GPU card results in less problems long term but this isn't to say you'll encounter any and if you haven't then long may that continue.

And good to see you back Gorman - hope you are well. :)

Gorman

Author Level
What problems have you guys seen with 5970 and other duel gpu cards because I haven't had any problems with my one?
Now you have me wondering what can go wrong.

Think of it like this,

A dual gpu graphics card is like a great big yellow lambo. Great for showing off in but if you drive it on a Kirklees road its just going to fall apart and cost you a lot of money.

Better off with a nice reliable cheap to run card thats going to do the job with no fuss. If you must go multi gpu then normal SLI / crossfire will usually beat the dual gpu card anyway.

Sleinous

Author Level
The dual gpu card even if its made up of 2x 560s will beat my 580... They upgrade cost is pretty much 0 and im not intending on buying a second 580 for ages and ages even if this dual-gpu solution never existed. Sorry but in this instance its not about novelty, its actually going to outperform my 580 for noextra cost.

And yes of course dual 580s or 570s would beat the dual evga but that would cost you £600 and £800 respectively lol... Not £450