It Hurts

Gorman

Author Level
The dual gpu card even if its made up of 2x 560s will beat my 580... They upgrade cost is pretty much 0 and im not intending on buying a second 580 for ages and ages even if this dual-gpu solution never existed. Sorry but in this instance its not about novelty, its actually going to outperform my 580 for noextra cost.

And yes of course dual 580s or 570s would beat the dual evga but that would cost you £600 and £800 respectively lol... Not £450

Dual gpu cards are all about the performance crown, not novelty.

They are stupid fast especially in dual dual gpu setups, the point remains that every single one of these cards has had its own issues.

Im not saying dont buy one, im just saying dual gpu.

Euww.

Sleinous

Author Level
We shall see :)

My step-up is 90days, the card is due out in under 60days, I wont be stepping up until around the last week of my step-up, so by then there will have been reviews, ill also be scaling the forums for issues and stuff with the GPU. I wont be stepping-up straight away anyways because 1. Im in no rush, 2. I need to muster enough EVGA bucks so this doesnt cost me a penny, 3. EU EVGA always gets stock a bit later anyway. 4. No point rushing as the step-up queue is always very long anyway so even if I do step-up I wouldnt expect the card before April/May. This gives me plenty of use on the GTX 580SC and then a brand new GPU :p

Stappa

Enthusiast
Think of it like this,

A dual gpu graphics card is like a great big yellow lambo. Great for showing off in but if you drive it on a Kirklees road its just going to fall apart and cost you a lot of money.

Better off with a nice reliable cheap to run card thats going to do the job with no fuss. If you must go multi gpu then normal SLI / crossfire will usually beat the dual gpu card anyway.

LOL i couldn't agree more, always buy the best single GPU u can afford and then upgrade to a better single GPU when u need to,or like me just buy another gaming rig every 3 years and sell/give your old rig to family/friends(it's damn expensive chasing tech,but fun)and in the end for me all that matters is playing games on max and multi tasking with an instant response(I hate waiting)

Last edited:

Stappa

Enthusiast
I think we all missed the point that this upgrade is at no extra expense to me ;) But nevermind...

Sry I thought this was about chasing tech?(which sadly I'm addicted too, just glad the Mrs doesn't realize how much it actually costs lol)

Last edited:

Matt

Bright Spark
Pfff, im going to blow you all out of the water when i get my dual dual dual dual setup, plus ill probably get a couple more of those. Who's going to be laughing then?

Yes, you.

Matt

Bright Spark
To be fair i intend on having so many dual gpu's ill be so frivolous with them that i wont even notice if one or two are missing.

Yeah.

Gorman

Author Level
Pfff, im going to blow you all out of the water when i get my dual dual dual dual setup, plus ill probably get a couple more of those. Who's going to be laughing then?

Yes, you.

I giggled. Hi Matt!

You describe a truly awesome machine.

Well awesome in 4 minute bursts of awesome between issues.

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Omfg does anybody else get this, so I laid over £2000 for my new pc about 2 or 3 months ago and now all the latest SB stuff is out and newer graphics and that and it's so painful it hurts I mean I know my rig is still the nuts but it's already outdated and it's killing me. I am seriously considering my next purchase already but I just can't justify burning more cash and it being outdated in another 6 months.
How often do you guys upgrade?

O and lotto numbers please :).

I don't even have my pc yet and it's i7 950 has been outdated for 2 weeks lol oh well, I was tempted but the rumours of ivy bridge and the second wave of sandy bridge later this year has me wooooooooooooing

Ansab001

Bronze Level Poster
Thier is never any point to try and keep up, you just cant unless you have an income of excess 2000 a month
The best thing to do is rather by what you need and change and upgrade as years go buy. Or buy high once every 4 to 5 years and change upgrade the graphics card, ram and hhd in the middle (2.5 years) if you need to.

End of the day its up to you. Like all we want the best, fact is you cant be the best and their is no point. As long as your pc can handle games for the next few years (which many can!)No need to change.
But if it costs you 0 to get the equipment why not?:cool:

I ahve a dell 8600 which is 6 years old now, only in the last year i had problems playing games and i have not even upgraded anything. I'm giving that one to my parents to use as a media PC. My alienware laptop (i know stupid buy, im still ashamed) is still amazing to play todays games if it didnt overheat after 15mins being on due to a design flaw which they got a way with.

Ansab001

Bronze Level Poster
It started happening after the first year which .was ironically when the warranty let out. Since then I always get max warranty.

Randomthom

Silver Level Poster
Bottom line, once it's released it's out of date. Get something good, keep it until it's not good. Get the term "best" out of your head, it's irrelevant. If you have something that's good enough for your own personal usage & standards (e.g. Are you only happy playing X game in highest settings?) then upgrading isn't required. Having the "best" is an expensive & foolish task as it will only hold it's crown for 6 months at the most.