Good phone that isn't an iphone?

MrRaich

Silver Level Poster
If you can afford it, the HTC Desire S! It's the desire, but slightly smaller (4" to 3.7") and slightly upgraded in terms on hardware.

onlynik

Enthusiast
HTC Desire, not the best phone ever, but better than the rest. All phones will have their issues, but I can say the HTC has exceeded my expectations.

Grinder

Enthusiast
I'm using a desire s now :)
Unlimited internet on a 3G one plan .
There are loads of apps and u tube runs sweet and it serfs as good as a tablet pc.
Plus it can be used as a WiFi dongle !.

Last edited:

UndeadJack

Master Poster
I'm using a desire s now :)
Unlimited internet on a 3G one plan .
There are loads of apps and u tube runs sweet and it serfs as good as a tablet pc.
Plus it can be used as a WiFi dongle !.

What network you on? If on Three fair does but any other network has horrid internet for dongles (except giffgaff but it doesn't work I don't think)

Omnirat

Silver Level Poster
I got the HTC Desire HD, it's fine, but sometimes it randomly turns off and the sound isn't very loud, apart from that it's a decent phone.

TudorVII

Enthusiast
Anyone able to recommend a good Windows phone? Due my upgrade next month and want to get away from iPhone.

mishra

Rising Star
and I am stuck :(
I've been offered a free upgrade on my contract (o2) but I need a phone that comes with qwerty keyboard and also is Android powered. But o2 does not have any available atm! Except xperia x10 mini pro - but that's the one I currently use....

Can I upgrade my phone through Carephone Warehouse or Phones4u? I mean I need to stay with o2 - cause I have o2 broadband, so whatever I'll end up doing I just want to preserve my phone number and also my o2 contract - so that I can carry on using quite nice/cheap o2 broadband.

Anyone have any experience with that?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I've been offered a free upgrade on my contract (o2) but I need a phone that comes with qwerty keyboard and also is Android powered. But o2 does not have any available atm! Except xperia x10 mini pro - but that's the one I currently use....

Can I upgrade my phone through Carephone Warehouse or Phones4u? I mean I need to stay with o2 - cause I have o2 broadband, so whatever I'll end up doing I just want to preserve my phone number and also my o2 contract - so that I can carry on using quite nice/cheap o2 broadband.

question, why does it have to be android powered? Im guessing theres an actual reason your against iOS, or is it just jumping on the bandwagon?

UndeadJack

Master Poster
Anyone able to recommend a good Windows phone? Due my upgrade next month and want to get away from iPhone.
WP7 phones are quite terrible atm so skip them (mango is just meh)

Try a Blakcberry Torch and get a android device (e.g a samsung galaxy wifi 4.0) or skip android. Not really missing android and I don't use it anymore

question, why does it have to be android powered? Im guessing theres an actual reason your against iOS, or is it just jumping on the bandwagon?
Ikr. Blackberry is really good atm and ios5 is actually brilliant. Massive step up from 4.0

mishra

Rising Star

Hmm, I wanted Android phone because my previous phone was Android based - and it was absolutely ace. Well maybe except the screen size :( And that I am also a big fan of Google services.

I like integration with Android phones and gMail account. I also like very much that there are more and more quality apps on the Android market. I like the fact that it's free (well at least sort off), and also the fact that I can load music through USB cable and that I do not have to use iTunes to do so. Also I like the fact that upgrading memory on non iPhone'ish phones is done my buying bigger memory card, rather than the new phone.

So no, I am not jumping on the bandwagon. To contrary I went last weekend to get my phone whatever it has to be... and I couldn't get anything (from o2) that would satisfy my needs and also would fit under £25p/m bill. Had no choice and got myself an iPhone 4 8GB.

Yes, I wanted Android based phone for my own reasons.. but I am a reasonable man and quite flexible. So got best I could get within my price range - be it non android based phone, well I get next one in future or so. No biggie ^^

ps. So far not entirely convinced to iPhone... not yet at least, but that's too soon to tell.
What I am really missing on iPhone is the "back" button so far. I just can't get my head round the fact that if I want to go back I can only press the main button which takes me all the way to home screen... why, is this done such way? WHat's wrong in back button?
.. ah and also I am missing way of sorting out icons... they just automatically "stick" together. I would love to have them grouped by lines or so, like in Android. But I couldn't find a way so far. I can change order of them but not the position on the screen - but that's not very annoying.

Wow that's quite a wall of text...

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
what about just keeping your current phone and getting a discount on your contract, youll have to phone up for this usually, but i remember my dad doing it before and his contract is like £20 now when it was £35

mishra

Rising Star
I suppose the main point is to get most out of the money you pay anyway. If I have to (and also want to be on contract deal). At least once a while I want to get a "free" phone out of it. And once it comes to it, I want to get the best thing I can get. So then either I can keep it, give to family or just sell.

MeveM

Bright Spark
I like my Blackberry Bold (not touch), good for ringing, and brilliant for texting, what's the point of having a all dancing and cooking smart phone when you've got a PC at home, and probably a PC at work.

Serendipity

Enthusiast
I like my Blackberry Bold (not touch), good for ringing, and brilliant for texting, what's the point of having a all dancing and cooking smart phone when you've got a PC at home, and probably a PC at work.

Lol so true. I have a iPhone 4 and ever since I received my PC from here my iPhone is barely used.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Don't agree with me! You'll be as excluded from society as me. I'm mentally 80 years old, in body I'm 25. I cannot understand what everyone needs all these gadgets for, and why people feel the need to spend more time with their face on the phone instead of looking where they're going.

Then again, i don't see the point in sending a text other then "Working over, coming home late". Or something like that, if a conversation requires more then 1 text each way, it'd be more convenient to ring, it's also faster, and cheaper, yet people find the need to text eachother 10 times each taking what? 5-10 minutes? Or you could've just rung and say the same in 15 seconds.

I might just make a "What grinds your gears" thread :p