1440p Gaming PC need advice

loso64

as for current situation with the marked up gpu market. It is definitely not worth overshooting the needs in justification of having it last longer.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
I said in firsts posts i want good 1440p monitor to mach my rtx 3080 and I was hammered that i should go with 4k, that 3080 is waist etc..I will go with 4k once games are optimalised better and maybe with 5080 in next 60 years when i can see stable 4k 100+ fps because i wont need 8k monitor, for now i am going with 1440p as its enough for me and i want to have more fps. I said i understand price/ performance ratio but this thread wasnt about budget but about advise for good 1440 monitor :D

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Even for that to work in your favour you need to get timing spot on, make good purchases and not be a fan of the "shiny bobble".

I can get the timing right, make a good buy and still be hampered by the shiny bobble issue.

Here is a reasonable example.....

In 2018 I pondered a new GPU. I wanted the 1080Ti but the 2080 was looming. I did the right thing, held off and got myself the 2080. At the same time I got myself a system that could make good use out of it (9900k, etc, in my sig). I was down to the tune of 2k. My justification and reasoning was that I was running VR. The rest of the time my system was, and would be, completely wasted (1080p on a TV).

Some people were still buying the 1080ti. People who made those purchases made various arguments of justification. On paper, the 1080ti was, I believe, slightly more powerful than the 2080.... for the same money. In fact, I could have got it for a bit less with it going on sale. FFWD to 2021..... the 1080ti is now considerably out-performed by the 2080 thanks to many optimisations with DLSS and other wizardry. The visuals are better when FPS isn't the goal, thanks to Ray Tracing. The 2080 was a better purchase than the 1080ti. I had timing on my side though.

The 2080 is perfectly acceptable, still, at doing what I purchased it for. It handles everything as well, and sometimes better, than it ever has. Yet..... I want a 3080..... and I'll likely get one when I can. Why??? Shiny bobble!!

If I had over-shot and got the 2080ti (which I did consider), I would be another £300+ into a hole that I don't need to be in..... for effectively ZERO gain. Sure... I can post up that I'm getting more frames.... sure I can turn the grass on in PC2 up to "high", but does that justify anything? It most certainly doesn't. And here's the key, I can say that I'm keeping it for another year...... and I could try to.... but I won't! Shiny bobble!

The people who the above doesn't apply to..... won't really care so much about future proofing when it comes to the future. It's just a thing that people want to consider, without actually considering it.

Buying the 3080 over the 3070 won't matter when it comes to future proofing to the people that it matters to (get your head around that one) as you will shiny bobble the 4070/4080 anyway, justify it the same way and go back around the merry-go-round. The people who it doesn't matter to, will happily run their 3070 until it breaks.... dialling down the settings as they need to... until it's probably a whole new system they want/need. The money saved made sense as it went in their pocket and didn't give it another thought.

Show me one person making an argument for aiming higher/future proofing/diminishing returns that isn't a "shiny bobble" buyer and I'll genuinely take more stock of what's being said. Us enthusiasts all have the same bug, we just justify our impulses in different ways........ it takes a while to realise, as I said above, but once we do it's time to consider the pocket of others rather than justify the mindset of our own purchasing preference.
Shiny bobble = @ProEnigma 😂

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I said in firsts posts i want good 1440p monitor to mach my rtx 3080 and I was hammered that i should go with 4k, that 3080 is waist etc..I will go with 4k once games are optimalised better and maybe with 5080 in next 60 years when i can see stable 4k 100+ fps because i wont need 8k monitor, for now i am going with 1440p as its enough for me and i want to have more fps. I said i understand price/ performance ratio but this thread wasnt about budget but about advise for good 1440 monitor :D
I have never had an issue with your uses. As said previously, it's when you give advice based on your needs to others that we need to step in as it's not good advice in general.

You used the word "want" many times. That's the example I was giving in my previous post. Wanting something is as good a reason as any, my shiny bobble analogy is about wanting. It does not exemplify what is required, necessary or advisable, though. We collectively want to give good, sound advice based on logical reasoning. It's not a good plan to give advice based on your own justification and reasoning as it won't apply to the masses. My own logic doesn't apply to the masses, something else I was trying to put across. I need to put my own way of thinking to one side and attempt to consider, initially, the view of what fits the needs best. The "wants" is a secondary consideration once I get a feel for the type of consumer I'm talking to.

When the budget is there and the want is there it's a fair purchase. It would be remiss of us as advisors to back illogical reasoning though.

I think you would suggest the 3080 to be too powerful for 1080p, but there are users around the world insistent on purchasing it and using it in such a fashion. You would probably scoff at such an insane use case, as I would too in most circumstances. However, this is exactly the same illogical application of a product that the 3080 would be to 1440p non-ultrawide to me. It's not necessary and it'll be in unrealistic circumstances that it can be made to be seen a logical purchase. These cards are manufactured and marketed at certain brackets. There was never going to be any doubt that the elite would want them for their bracket regardless of how much sense it makes. I can almost guarantee someone somewhere is running a 3080 with a 720p screen...... just because they wanted to.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
thats enough for me i went with a competitor rather than pcs
I was asking few times on different forums EVERYWHERE else I was told same thing,3080 for 1440p is not overkill at all. as Im looking for fps not 60hz locked visual details. its the same thing saying why using maxed out settings on 1440p with rtx 3080 and then telling basically same thing, rather using 4k monitor. isnt that same? Details vs details? someone said you barely see difference on maxed settings and yes i must admit there are some things but isnt that same with 4k ? :D never mind, and its not about shinny bubble, my last pc i had was 15 years ago and I only had a 2070 laptop for 2 months. last year, so i want to treat myself the best I can :D

Spider you can close this thread any further discussion would be pointless

Last edited by a moderator: