1440p Gaming PC need advice

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Another thing to remember is that many, if not most, PC buyers have a limited budget. Spending too high a proportion of this budget on the graphics card either compromises other parts of the build that may be more difficult to change in the future, or encourages people to spend more than they really should. It is always possible to spend a bit more here and a bit more there to get ever smaller increases in performance. In the end, perfection is never achievable. Good enough is good enough.

I think his budget didn't comprise any other part of his build so unless having a 3080 causes an issue with the other components he has chosen I don't see what the problem is.

If Money isn't an issue.

If wait time isn't an issue.

If playing games at 1440p isn't harming other elements of the rig.

Yes it's overkill but if you decide to upgrade your monitor at a later date to a 4k monitor you won't have to buy a new GPU.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Yes it's overkill but if you decide to upgrade your monitor at a later date to a 4k monitor you won't have to buy a new GPU.
Now that depends when they might buy a 4K 144Hz monitor. They’re currently available at around £800 upwards, so if it’s going to take them a while to save for that then it’ll be a false economy to buy an overpowered GPU now that’s going to be bottlenecked by their current screen.

It’s a pointless exercise to try future proofing your GPU, there’s newer and more powerful iterations coming out every year or two. It’s so much more cost effective to get a card that suits what your current monitor is capable of and bank the extra cash. Having that in the kitty will allow a much more economical upgrade path for both monitor and graphics card.

Now that depends when they might buy a 4K 144Hz monitor. They’re currently available at around £800 upwards, so if it’s going to take them a while to save for that then it’ll be a false economy to buy an overpowered GPU now that’s going to be bottlenecked by their current screen.

It’s a pointless exercise to try future proofing your GPU, there’s newer and more powerful iterations coming out every year or two. It’s so much more cost effective to get a card that suits what your current monitor is capable of and bank the extra cash. Having that in the kitty will allow a much more economical upgrade path for both monitor and graphics card.
The bread and butter of this is that theres no thread that says u guys recommended a 3070 for 1440p I should have gone for a 3080 im guessing everyone who had a 3070 @ 1440p is happy with it

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think his budget didn't comprise any other part of his build so unless having a 3080 causes an issue with the other components he has chosen I don't see what the problem is.

If Money isn't an issue.

If wait time isn't an issue.

If playing games at 1440p isn't harming other elements of the rig.

I’ve got no problem with someone doing it at all. It’s when they blankety say 3080 is better suited for 1440p, that’s just nonsense and bad advice.

Gotta be honest I own a 3080 and when I enable ray tracing then turn it off I barely notice a diffrence the only game ive stopped and thought ok god dam thats pritty is metro exodus enhanced edition but thats about it have a feeling its going to eventually evolve to be one of those settings pepole knock off cos its not worth the frame drop

DarTon

The 3080 is a high end GPU. It's expensive even at the theoretical MSRP. It's wasn't launched as a mass market GPU and it's rare that the high end of anything is the best in performance per unit price terms. It's for enthusiasts who want the best and are willing to pay a premium for that. Games designers maximize the addressable market for their products, which means they optimize for the low to middle tier, not the high end. So while a 3080 is nice to have, the economics mean that it can't be necessary.

I've just bought a system with a 3070. Just by dialling down the settings from Ultra to High and adding in the odd extra tweak, I can double the fps to around 120 at 1440p. I don't even notice the difference. I've just never found it optimal to run games on a PC at max settings. It's a bit like the Pareto principle, I can get 95% of the eye candy for 50% of the GPU overhead. The last few percent just isn't worth it. I'd prefer a cheaper/quieter/cooler system to a virtually invisible bit of bling.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
I only went for 3080 because i played on both 3070 and 3080 on 1440p i was same at the start i wanted 3070 but i have seen difference thats why i posted refferal videos lol. If you satisfied with 3070 no problem i went for 5900x with 3080 and i might upgrade monitor later on to 4k. For now i went with 34 lg gn850 despite i cannot used to it. im still waiting. Its my prefference, you dont see a much difference? Did you tried them both on same cpu? I did

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Its my prefference
And that is absolutely fine. If that’s how you choose to spend your money nobody here can or will stop you 🙂

What we do have to stop is statements like your earlier one - please dont tell people 3070 is sufficient for 1440p cos its not. Because your preference is not applicable to everyone.

Enjoy your system 👍

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
have a look on posts like reddit everyone is same same rtx 3080 for 1440p in every post/ thread. So i dont really understand but thats fine

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
have a look on posts like reddit everyone is same same rtx 3080 for 1440p in every post/ thread. So i dont really understand but thats fine

At some point you need to understand that you're not getting the point being made. Repeating the same thing doesn't make your point any more enforced, we understand your placement with what you wanted, and got, from the system. What we are continually saying like groundhog day is that you do not represent the gaming community as a whole, you represent the niche that wants to show the specs.

Reddit for PCs is like Max Power for cars.... if it doesn't have a shopping list of inventory on the wing, it just isn't elite enough.

When it comes to gaming how good you are trumps the performance of the system you have. My car would beat 99.9% of other cars around a race track........ but certainly not with me driving it. I accept that in life, I accept that in gaming, I accept that with tech. I want high end tech simply because I want it..... and that's OK. To try and justify it otherwise would be immature and short sighted of me. There comes a time in your life when the eyes open up to the bigger picture and you finally see that your demographic isn't the only one.

Out of curiosity, what do all the people on reddit who have 4k monitors run with? Are they constantly being hammered at games because they don't have enough frames? Or do they just choose not to put their FPS count on their profile?

loso64

At some point you need to understand that you're not getting the point being made. Repeating the same thing doesn't make your point any more enforced, we understand your placement with what you wanted, and got, from the system. What we are continually saying like groundhog day is that you do not represent the gaming community as a whole, you represent the niche that wants to show the specs.

Reddit for PCs is like Max Power for cars.... if it doesn't have a shopping list of inventory on the wing, it just isn't elite enough.

When it comes to gaming how good you are trumps the performance of the system you have. My car would beat 99.9% of other cars around a race track........ but certainly not with me driving it. I accept that in life, I accept that in gaming, I accept that with tech. I want high end tech simply because I want it..... and that's OK. To try and justify it otherwise would be immature and short sighted of me. There comes a time in your life when the eyes open up to the bigger picture and you finally see that your demographic isn't the only one.

Out of curiosity, what do all the people on reddit who have 4k monitors run with? Are they constantly being hammered at games because they don't have enough frames? Or do they just choose not to put their FPS count on their profile?
this, Reddit people are just boosting their ego showing who has bigger budgets. That is not representation of a general gaming community as a whole.
Steam spec surveys are a good example. Most of the people are running extremely budget or old systems with 1060 or so.
People are buying PC with a budget. For such people, having stuff maxed out all the time is impossible.
While i do think 3080 is more suited towards 1440p high fps gaming for coming years, i understand that not everyone has budget for it and not everyone cares about graphics settings as much. As soon as you dial down some settings that are hardly noticeable for the end visual performance, you can get same fps with 3070.
Luckily for me money is not issue, and my pc is overkill, i know it. I am the top 1%, trying to reflect that on everyone would be stupid

(where my opinion differed in this threat was about long term buying, budget regular upgrades, vs high end for longer period of time)

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
(where my opinion differed in this threat was about long term buying, budget regular upgrades, vs high end for longer period of time)

Even for that to work in your favour you need to get timing spot on, make good purchases and not be a fan of the "shiny bobble".

I can get the timing right, make a good buy and still be hampered by the shiny bobble issue.

Here is a reasonable example.....

In 2018 I pondered a new GPU. I wanted the 1080Ti but the 2080 was looming. I did the right thing, held off and got myself the 2080. At the same time I got myself a system that could make good use out of it (9900k, etc, in my sig). I was down to the tune of 2k. My justification and reasoning was that I was running VR. The rest of the time my system was, and would be, completely wasted (1080p on a TV).

Some people were still buying the 1080ti. People who made those purchases made various arguments of justification. On paper, the 1080ti was, I believe, slightly more powerful than the 2080.... for the same money. In fact, I could have got it for a bit less with it going on sale. FFWD to 2021..... the 1080ti is now considerably out-performed by the 2080 thanks to many optimisations with DLSS and other wizardry. The visuals are better when FPS isn't the goal, thanks to Ray Tracing. The 2080 was a better purchase than the 1080ti. I had timing on my side though.

The 2080 is perfectly acceptable, still, at doing what I purchased it for. It handles everything as well, and sometimes better, than it ever has. Yet..... I want a 3080..... and I'll likely get one when I can. Why??? Shiny bobble!!

If I had over-shot and got the 2080ti (which I did consider), I would be another £300+ into a hole that I don't need to be in..... for effectively ZERO gain. Sure... I can post up that I'm getting more frames.... sure I can turn the grass on in PC2 up to "high", but does that justify anything? It most certainly doesn't. And here's the key, I can say that I'm keeping it for another year...... and I could try to.... but I won't! Shiny bobble!

The people who the above doesn't apply to..... won't really care so much about future proofing when it comes to the future. It's just a thing that people want to consider, without actually considering it.

Buying the 3080 over the 3070 won't matter when it comes to future proofing to the people that it matters to (get your head around that one) as you will shiny bobble the 4070/4080 anyway, justify it the same way and go back around the merry-go-round. The people who it doesn't matter to, will happily run their 3070 until it breaks.... dialling down the settings as they need to... until it's probably a whole new system they want/need. The money saved made sense as it went in their pocket and didn't give it another thought.

Show me one person making an argument for aiming higher/future proofing/diminishing returns that isn't a "shiny bobble" buyer and I'll genuinely take more stock of what's being said. Us enthusiasts all have the same bug, we just justify our impulses in different ways........ it takes a while to realise, as I said above, but once we do it's time to consider the pocket of others rather than justify the mindset of our own purchasing preference.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

Even for that to work in your favour you need to get timing spot on, make good purchases and not be a fan of the "shiny bobble".

I can get the timing right, make a good buy and still be hampered by the shiny bobble issue.

In 2018 I pondered a new GPU. I wanted the 1080Ti but the 2080 was looming. I did the right thing, held off and got myself the 2080. At the same time I got myself a system that could make good use out of it (9900k, etc, in my sig). I was down to the tune of 2k. My justification and reasoning was that I was running VR. The rest of the time my system was, and would be, completely wasted (1080p on a TV).

Some people were still buying the 1080ti. People who made those purchases made various arguments of justification. On paper, the 1080ti was, I believe, slightly more powerful than the 2080.... for the same money. In fact, I could have got it for a bit less with it going on sale. FFWD to 2021..... the 1080ti is now considerably out-performed by the 2080 thanks to many optimisations with DLSS and other wizardry. The visuals are better when FPS isn't the goal, thanks to Ray Tracing. The 2080 was a better purchase than the 1080ti. I had timing on my side though.

The 2080 is perfectly acceptable, still, at doing what I purchased it for. It handles everything as well, and sometimes better, than it ever has. Yet..... I want a 3080..... and I'll likely get one when I can. Why??? Shiny bobble!!

If I had over-shot and got the 2080ti (which I did consider), I would be another £300+ into a hole that I don't need to be in..... for effectively ZERO gain. Sure... I can post up that I'm getting more frames.... sure I can turn the grass on in PC2 up to "high", but does that justify anything? It most certainly doesn't. And here's the key, I can say that I'm keeping it for another year...... and I could try to.... but I won't! Shiny bobble!

The people who the above doesn't apply to..... won't really care so much about future proofing when it comes to the future. It's just a thing that people want to consider, without actually considering it.

Buying the 3080 over the 3070 won't matter when it comes to future proofing to the people that it matters to (get your head around that one) as you will shiny bobble the 4070/4080 anyway, justify it the same way and go back around the merry-go-round. The people who it doesn't matter to, will happily run their 3070 until it breaks.... dialling down the settings as they need to... until it's probably a whole new system they want/need. The money saved made sense as it went in their pocket and didn't give it another thought.

Show me one person making an argument for aiming higher/future proofing/diminishing returns that isn't a "shiny bobble" buyer and I'll genuinely take more stock of what's being said. Us enthusiasts all have the same bug, we just justify our impulses in different ways........ it takes a while to realise, as I said above, but once we do it's time to consider the pocket of others rather than justify the mindset of our own purchasing preference.
Great points, well made. I feel like you covered all the bases nicely, feel free to shout ‘checkmate!’ or drop a mic if you so wish 👍

Also, does anyone else think that the next time @Scott wants to change his custom title, it simply has to be ‘shiny bobble’?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Great points, well made. I feel like you covered all the bases nicely, feel free to shout ‘checkmate!’ or drop a mic if you so wish 👍

Also, does anyone else think that the next time @Scott wants to change his custom title, it simply has to be ‘shiny bobble’?

That's my GFs name :ROFLMAO:

She gets distracted by everything. So when I ask "what happened"... I always follow with... "Shiny Bobble?"

loso64

you are definitely right and are putting in a good points. It all depends on timing.
When i got 1080TI, 2k series was not close yet (they were not even announced comming). And for me this card is still going in strong. With tiny tweaks to settings i can play anything almost maxed at 2k ultrawide. I dont really "need to" upgrade, and there is definitely no justification on my current purchase xD