1440p Gaming PC need advice

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
Dude. What is your budget and what do you want? Your monitor budget seems to have just doubled in both cost and size within a couple of post
Thats why i was asking for advice, if you recommending ultra wide monitor for gaming im looking for all options, i originally wanted 165hz 27 flat 1440p panel, but those ones with dp 1.4 are pretty expensive, my maximum budget is 800 no more. I was honestly thinking 27 in 1440p with 3080 would be perfect but if gpu will be wasted then id like to see ultrawide how it will perform. I dont want go 4k yet, i want to get best performance from 1440p maxed on all settings 100+fps in every game. I also didnt checked that 34 is 3440 resolution therefore no difference in pixels. Im honestly thinking LG 34GN850
would be a best choice for me yet i need to measure my desk just to make sure keyboard will fit in lol

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
You could get a really good 34" 3440 x 1440 144Hz ultrawide for that budget.

The one I currently think looks sexy is MSI MPG 34" ARTYMIS 343CQR but that's over budget slightly.

This one is well within budget right now:
MSI OPTIX MPG341CQR 34

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
You could get a really good 34" 3440 x 1440 144Hz ultrawide for that budget.

The one I currently think looks sexy is MSI MPG 34" ARTYMIS 343CQR but that's over budget slightly.

This one is well within budget right now:
MSI OPTIX MPG341CQR 34
Thanks mate, that looks nice the second msi is a very good option as well i think lg is buying me right now, here is my desk https://www.furniturebox.co.uk/enzo...ource=yotpo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=map its only 120cm long and 60 cm width, Lg's dimensions are 976 x 521 x 245
What do you think please?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Thanks mate, that looks nice the second msi is a very good option as well i think lg is buying me right now, here is my desk https://www.furniturebox.co.uk/enzo...ource=yotpo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=map its only 120cm long and 60 cm width, Lg's dimensions are 976 x 521 x 245
What do you think please?
You should have no trouble. My desk is 100cm long and 60cm wide and my 34 inch ultrawide fits on there easily.

63F1B2C7-06D8-4784-9E55-841921732713.jpeg

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
So guys i tried 34 inch dont get me wrong it looks absolutely amazing but im getting blind its really huge for me not sure if its the smaller desk or my sitting position but i guess 27 would be much better for me, what can you recommend please? I have tried msi optrix mpg 34" its absolutely stunning but not for my eyes, i cannot get used to it

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So guys i tried 34 inch dont get me wrong it looks absolutely amazing but im getting blind its really huge for me not sure if its the smaller desk or my sitting position but i guess 27 would be much better for me, what can you recommend please? I have tried msi optrix mpg 34" its absolutely stunning but not for my eyes, i cannot get used to it
What do you mean? It’s exactly the same sizing as a 27” 1440p, just with an extra half monitor on the horizontal, but size wise it’s exactly the same?

It’s not the size that has any relevance, it’s the resolution. 1440p would be completely pointless and be a waste of your system.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
What do you mean? It’s exactly the same sizing as a 27” 1440p, just with an extra half monitor on the horizontal, but size wise it’s exactly the same?

It’s not the size that has any relevance, it’s the resolution. 1440p would be completely pointless and be a waste of your system.
Yeah hotozontally i cannot get used to it, i dont understand where you getting that 1440p would be waste and pointless, rtx 3080 cant run AAA games in 1440p with 90+ fps
Im talking about demanding games, not games like cod or doom where u get 200+ fps. If someone is happy with 4k and 60fps thats fine but i preffer 1440p and 100+ fps maxed out. I know there are some games where difference in 1440p or 4k is minimal. I have been playing on 3070 tuf and 3080 strix with 5800x at my friends and i can tell you there is difference big difference in 1440p in most games. This might be your preference but I wouldnt say a 3080 is overkill for 1440P as some of the new AAA titles still struggle to get much more than 80fps especially if you turn on raytracing.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah hotozontally i cannot get used to it, i dont understand where you getting that 1440p would be waste and pointless, rtx 3080 cant run AAA games in 1440p with 90+ fps
Im talking about demanding games, not games like cod or doom where u get 200+ fps. If someone is happy with 4k and 60fps thats fine but i preffer 1440p and 100+ fps maxed out. I know there are some games where difference in 1440p or 4k is minimal. I have been playing on 3070 tuf and 3080 strix with 5800x at my friends and i can tell you there is difference big difference in 1440p in most games. This might be your preference but I wouldnt say a 3080 is overkill for 1440P as some of the new AAA titles still struggle to get much more than 80fps especially if you turn on raytracing.
What game are you referencing though? I’m not sure I’m following which games run that poorly if correctly configured?

It’s your money obviously, but at 1440p 144hz, 99% of your library is going to be bottnecled with a 3080 which is a really bad waste of a good system.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
What game are you referencing though? I’m not sure I’m following which games run that poorly if correctly configured?

It’s your money obviously, but at 1440p 144hz, 99% of your library is going to be bottnecled with a 3080 which is a really bad waste of a good system.
Please have a look, I just sit too closely for anything wider than 27"
Here is a link for a reference what i mean

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
What was that supposed to demonstrate?
Check posts above.
Demonstrate that even rtx 3080 cant handle most games over 80+fps in 1440p. :d there is no point argue but everyone has their preferences. Dont forget ray tracing if we turn this on we all on whats happening.

I also do not full understand why 3070 is prefered over 3080 for gaming at 1440p, every video i see the 3080 seems to get you an extra 30+ fps on most titles. I understand you are not using the full potential of the 3080 but even at 1440p on most games you are gaining an extra 20 percent performance over the 3070.

Is this not correct or is there something im missing? I would gladly pay an extra £200 if im getting more out of my machine even if im not using the 3080 to its max.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I also do not full understand why 3070 is prefered over 3080 for gaming at 1440p, every video i see the 3080 seems to get you an extra 30+ fps on most titles. I understand you are not using the full potential of the 3080 but even at 1440p on most games you are gaining an extra 20 percent performance over the 3070.

Is this not correct or is there something im missing? I would gladly pay an extra £200 if im getting more out of my machine even if im not using the 3080 to its max.
It's about value for money. The 3080 is not value for money vs the 3070 at the 1440p resolution, because (a) the 3070 generally has excellent performance and (b) loads of the 3080's potential is wasted because your monitor literally cannot display that many frames. If the 3070 is, say, putting out 130fps in a given game, your maths would suggest the 3080 could put out 155-160. However, the monitor (unless you have the Samsung G7) cannot display more than 144 of them, so you are actually spending all that money for an extra 14fps. Not great value for money.

Yes, the 3080 will give better results than the 3070, but is the increase worth it when you consider the limitations of the monitor, the enormous price difference (actually over £300, not £200) and the 5+-month waiting time for the card? I would say an unquestioned "no". Ultimately it's your money, so if you want to spend it, no one's judging you: we're all just offering our advice.

I really hate how the youtube community uses badly optimized games to demonstrate 3080/3070 benchmarks not only that its normally a badly made false overlay displaying false infomation half these videos dont even own or have the product there apparently trying to demonstrate if you sit someone down infront of two pcs running the same game one running at 100fps and another running at 120fps you would not notice the diffrence if it was the case that the 3070 ran games at 30fps and the 3080 ran at 144fps then fair enough but the extra money for a 3080 at 1440p isnt value at all if u got the budget and want more frames that you wont really notice then go for it more power to you but its not great value to overspend on a 3080 when more then likely itll be the first component you upgrade in future

( rant aimed at youtube not the op )

loso64

i would like to point out one thing regards the conversation that 3070 is 1440p gaming card. All the benchmarks and games tested that people point out are 2-3 years old. Running on older engines, aimed at older consoles.
The same situation happened with 2060 ti few years back. People argued that it is 1440p card, yes it could run 1440p at that time, but year later it was no longer able to do it on newest titles.
Keep in mind we just have brand new generation of consoles going out. The games are only just being made for it and ported to PC. Good example is Cyberpunk (tho not great optimized game) this game takes a lot for any pc currently.
Do you wanna play games of yesterday or the games of tomorrow? If the answer is the latter, it is better to buy a card with a more power to spare, as newest games will be harder to run.

ps. not a jab at OP or anyone here. Just pointing out the flaws of youtube videos and their benchmarks. They only focus on years old games and make review based on that.

loso64

for example here is 3090 (absolute overkill) running some games at 1440p with 10900k
some games like Red Dead Redemption 2 Cyberpunk or AC Valhalla are barely hitting 100fps maxed out
1622367731620.png

Games coming out this year or next year might demand even more from the hardware. So i would argue that 3080 is the preferred card for 1440p 120hz+ gaming for longer term