7970M Delay

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Just got news this morning that the 7970M chassis (15.6" and 17.3" Vortex III) have been delayed, please accept our apologies for this. We hope that the delay will only be for a few days but unfortunately we do not have any news on this at present. As soon as we hear more information we will confirm back.

Kimikus

I ordered mine 3 weeks ago so it's sad news for me, but good things come to those who wait :p
I would get the 675m gtx but the boost in power is definitely worth waiting for since it's so significant for the same price.

Just checked my order by amending the fast track option and found... only CPU and CD ROM came up!!
Does that mean the HD 7970m is in-stock? HOORAY!!

windholic

Good morning, would you have any update on timing or next steps for the 7970M? Any information why the delay happens?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently the issue is due to AMD holding up the 7970M cards for further checking. We are chasing this but have no more news yet.

Kimikus

It's only 2 weeks... Aww who am I kidding HURRY UP AMD!

Well, for me it's actually 7 weeks since I ordered the laptop end of April. I work in a school and was hoping to enjoy the laptop during the half term (ending June 11th) so yeah I'm very disappointed but I realise it isn't pcs' fault just bad luck (or AMD's fault lol).

Xii_Damian

Bronze Level Poster
I was looking to order a laptop with a 7970m on the 18th June hope were all clear by then :p and not out of stock :)

Daymos

Bronze Level Poster
I was looking to order a laptop with a 7970m on the 18th June hope were all clear by then :p and not out of stock :)

the 18th..

im sure all will be fine by then depending on how many backlog orders there are.

I've had the money for a month now to get the same and im hoping

A) I either dont spend it
or
2) the price goes up for my build considerably

windholic

Found this in the 'official Sager thread' on notebookreview.com - thought it would be interesting for many here. I really hope that since PCS didn't get any cards allocated in the first shipment from Clevo/Sager they will be top of the list for the next shipment, whenever that will be...

Also you should be aware at this time there are open issues with the second batch of AMD 7970m cards. Both Clevo and Sager are swamped using most of our resources on getting the 7970m back on track Once that is accomplished we will be able to begin our research and testing of the HM series in regards to the 7970m.

The good news is that there are no quality concerns with the first batch of AMD 7970M cards. Many of you should already know, but we just want to stress once again that the first batch of the AMD 7970m received and shipped by Clevo has passed all Clevo and Sager QC with less than 1% fail rate. Please take comfort in the fact the unit has proven to be remarkably stable and enjoy your AMD 7970m. Obviously, with the rigorous tests the unit has passed, there is no recall planned.

The second batch received by Clevo was different and extensive Clevo QC revealed a 20% fail rate. The remaining 80% of cards passed without any issues on standard QC as well as extended QC.

In the case of the AMD 7970m card, Clevo has chosen an extremely careful approach to deal with this new batch of cards that has displayed a failure rate that is both high and strange. That is why they took their quality control process to another level. It's also why they have been working closely with AMD to find a solution to this problem. Clevo could very easily have shipped out the 80% of cards that passed through their QC testing, but instead they chose to hold back all of the cards until they can get to the bottom of this problem with this new batch. The bottom line is that shipments will not resume until Clevo can give customers complete confidence in the product they purchase. While it may be an inconvenience to some users, the decision was made with the best of intentions and with the goal of delivering the best product possible. We applaud Clevo for taking this issue so very seriously and for working so hard to make certain our customers receive the kind of quality product they deserve.

Kimikus

Thanks for that, I'm getting to the point of just considering getting a 675m gtx to be honest. I have already waited 5 weeks and this doesn't sound like good news unless PCS gets priority with the coming batch in which case I hope to hear of an update soon so I know what I am going to do.

5 weeks Jesus, Mines only just gone into pre-production. Although I have been lurking in this website for the past 2 months waiting until I got paid to buy my Vortex III, another 4 weeks seems just too long. I was kinda hoping to play Diablo 3 with my friend but he has since completed it. Since there is no Launch date for Guild Wars 2 yet hopefully I'll have it before then, but there have been rumours that that will be released on the 24th of June.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Found this in the 'official Sager thread' on notebookreview.com - thought it would be interesting for many here. I really hope that since PCS didn't get any cards allocated in the first shipment from Clevo/Sager they will be top of the list for the next shipment, whenever that will be...

No cards have been allocated to us yet - we will be getting stock once the QC issues have been corrected.