Abysmal FPS 670m

king10

Although im very happy with the service of PCS , my fps on the new 670m graphics card hits a top of 20 fps on even old games, newer games such as skyrim and shogun 2 i barely manage 10 fps on low-medium settings what gives .. :(

clancy2k

Bronze Level Poster
Is the card actualy enabled? I read on another post something similar. It could be something to do with nvidia optimus using the cpu for graphics and failing to enable the gtx 670m. download and run 3dmark11 and link the results on here.

king10

In dxdiag its saying intel graphics, however when i try to play a game the nvidia control panel gpu activity says the gpu is being used. Im completely baffled , there are no drivers for the 670m this might be the problem.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
no he is saying there are no drivers available for it and he is right, there is nothing on the nvidia site, only for the lower end models and they are 3rd party drivers designed for linux

Maestro

In device manager when you click on dispaly devices are both your discrete intel gpu and nvidia gpu listed. Also, the driver for your nvidia card is on the disc provided with your laptop.

king10

ok i've done a complete reinstall twice now , added the drivers it works for a few hours, then suddenly for no reason it goes right back to were it was before 8-9 fps again...

dangro474

Bright Spark
Hi King10,

Please ensure that you have selected Maximum Performance in your power settings. To do so, left click your battery / power cable icon in the toolbar on the bottom right corner of your screen and select "power options" or go to start -> control panel -> system and security -> power options. Click on the arrow to the right of "show additional plans" and select "High Performance". Balanced power options has caused a GTX 460M in my older laptop to underclock itself speradically, and in the case of your laptop could be auto enabling optimus from time to time.

If that does not help please download GPU-Z from http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2137m/GPU-Z.0.6.2.exe

Run the application and select the Sensors tab. In the top right you should see the GPU core clock and Memory clock graphs displaying their current setting. This will change depending on what you are doing; when idle they may drop as low as 10% of their maximum default, however while gaming they should ramp up to their maximum, which are as follows:

Core: 598 mhz
Memory: 1500 mhz

While leaving GPU-Z running in a corner of your screen please play some demanding games for a while in Windowed mode (i woulf recommend 1600:900) so that you can view the GPU-Z sensors at the same time. A few seconds after a slowdown occurs please look at the core and memory clocks. If they have not changed tab out of the game to see if they have decreased at all.

Please let us know the results.

Cheers

king10

hi dangro,

high performance power settings mode hasn't worked either.

My GPUZ Results :

GPU Core Clock: 73.6Mhz

Gpu Memory Clock: 162.0Mhz

Gpu Load 92%

something is very wrong for it to be 73.6 mhz at 92% gpu load :/

@clancy unfortunately this horrible optimus technology can not be disabled

Last edited:

dangro474

Bright Spark
Hi King10,

Did GPU-Z indicate thast these clocks are definitely for the 670M GTX?
Did the core and memory clocks ever rise above these figures or did these figures appear after the massiv eslowdown occured?

The vortex I series had a button which would force a power savings mode that would force downclock the CPU and GPU to maximise battery life.. I wonder if you might have accidentally triggered something similar on your laptop.

The only other cause I can think of would be the laptops power adapter being faulty. Does your power adapter have a light to indicate that it is on? The next time you experience a slowdown please look at the power icon in the tool bar to confirm whether it is still running on mains power or from battery power.

EDIT: christ i should have asked this in the first place...

Do your slowdowns occur while you are running from battery power only, or while running from mains power? If it occurs while you are using battery power this is completely normal. Your laptop GPU is a 75 watt card, and cannot function at maximum performance from battery power alone, ergo you cannot really game using battery power (which generally has an output of around 64.13watt/hour).

Let us know how oyu get on.

Cheers

king10

absolutely it was the 670m i took a picture of my entire screen (strangely its not uploading onto here)

the core clocks and memory clocks actually went lower then up again to 73.6hmz . My skyfire 2 has a light near the touch pad to indicate it was charging from the mains its always remained on and switches off when i unplug. Does this sound like a faulty graphics card to you?

(after 4 restarts the gpu is now performing normally again , but i know its only an hour or so before this problem starts all over again)

dangro474

Bright Spark
absolutely it was the 670m i took a picture of my entire screen (strangely its not uploading onto here)

the core clocks and memory clocks actually went lower then up again to 73.6hmz . My skyfire 2 has a light near the touch pad to indicate it was charging from the mains its always remained on and switches off when i unplug. Does this sound like a faulty graphics card to you?

(after 4 restarts the gpu is now performing normally again , but i know its only an hour or so before this problem starts all over again)

Given that the system turns itself off when disconnected from the mains regardless of charge time and the poor GPU performance I am concerned that it may be an issue with either the power adapter or a fault on the motherboard itself.

Please try removing and reseating the battery, as well as making sure the power adapter is directly plugged into different wall sockets to eliminate faulty doubler / surge protectors / extensions.

A second opinion would be great, but if it was me I would call PCS tomorrow to arrange an RMA.

:(

Last edited:

dangro474

Bright Spark
Below is a screenshot King10 pm'd to me not too long ago:

problem.png

I see what you mean, there is definitely something wrong there. I can see from the GPU-Z graphs that your core, memory and shader clocks were running at near full capacity until your framerate suddenly dropped. The GPU load graph also dropped off all of a sudden, leading me to believe that the intel HD3000 GPU took over, or was this when you tabbed out of the game to take a screen shot?

Can you confirm whether you were running on mains power at this time, and if (as soon as your performance went to ****) you were still connected to the mains or if your power adapter tripped out leaving you on battery only?

This is proving quite difficult to diagnose short of operating the system in person :(

Last edited:

king10

thanks for your reply dangro,

The framerate was always around 8fps from the begining (no sudden drop) i was using windows mode for the game and took a screenshot so no alt tab :/ After 3 computer restarts the gpu seemed to snap back into life and worked normally, but now its back to 8fps again after a forth restart.

i can confirm i am running through the mains power 100% of the time.

this is driving me crazy :(

king10

omg it does seem it is something to do with the power supply. When it has a charging meter on the bottom right hand part of the screen it works fine. As soon as the plug is pulled out or stops working for some reason the fps drops very quickly. Does this mean i cant use my laptop for gaming without the power supply connected ? o0

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I think you will need it to be plugged into the mains during gaming, just because of the amount of power gpu's draw.

king10

its an annoyance that the charger has to be in for games but i can live with it.

i'd like to chiefly thank dangro474 for helping me get to the bottom of this , your awesome buddy

cheers

dangro474

Bright Spark
EDIT: christ i should have asked this in the first place...

Do your slowdowns occur while you are running from battery power only, or while running from mains power? If it occurs while you are using battery power this is completely normal. Your laptop GPU is a 75 watt card, and cannot function at maximum performance from battery power alone, ergo you cannot really game using battery power (which generally has an output of around 64.13watt/hour).

:[

King can you confirmt hat your FPS drops only occur when you disconnect the power adapter or turn it off?

If not then there is still an issue that has to be dealt with, most likely a fault with the adapter or your motherboard.

for example if you have your laptop plugged into the mains and your FPS dies suddenly (GPU core, memory and shader clocks drop drastically) that is not normal behaviour and there is definitely something wrong, however if all of your performance drops occured while running from battery power it is normal.

Last edited: